1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ben Arfa's chance to shine

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by East Stand, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. East Stand

East Stand Active Member

We have a hell of a lot of injuries causing a defensive crisis with CB's. Added to that we now have Guthrie out for 4-6 weeks with groin strain, Tiote out with a damaged medial collateral ligament.

We need to defend as a unit more than ever and get bodies behind the ball to stop there strikers gaining anything. Isolating Holt and Morison from the game will be difficult as their physically big players and will ruffle our newly reformed CB's.

I think it will be the perfect opportunity to play Ben Arfa in the hole just behind Ba / Best, this could be the master plan to defeat Norwich. We are going into the game with three CB's out injuried. Colo and Saylor key players to the starting 11, so a defensive reshuffle is an unavoidable event.

Play Ben Arfa in the hole, he can move into the channels and create openings on goal. Cabaye can distribute the ball across the field with Ober and Jonas supporting in the wings.

Krul
    Simpson Perch Kadar Santon
    Ober Cabaye Jonas
    Ben Arfa
    Best Ba​

...and we should be looking at a win from this. :emoticon-0167-beer:

2. Shola's Scissor Kick

You say this then play no defensive midfielders? That formation is far too attacking for me. There'd be no cover for the makeshift back 4.

For me it has to be.

Krul

Simpson-Perch-Kadar-Raylor/Santon

Obertan-Cabaye-Gosling-Jonas

Ba-Ben Arfa/Best

Obviously Colo in there if he's fit.

3. Aldridge_Prior

Aldridge_Prior Active Member

Not for me, that attacking formation leaves our weakened back four hopelessly exposed and I guarantee Norwich will isolate our attacking trio by simply bypassing the midfield and using the long balls to break us down.

I'd play an attacking 4-5-1 with HBA in the hole but I'd drop Best for another midfielder like Gosling or Abeid.

4. simonbh7

simonbh7 Active Member

This ^^

I don't like players having to play out of their natural position, so for me, Kadar has to play and Gosling is the most logical choice to replace Guhrie.

5. Colly NUFC

Colly NUFC Active Member

It's been made very clear already, but choosing to lose a body out of the midfield the week we're without our two strongest defenders is kerazy. We need more protection not less.

6. Tiote_like_a_Toiger

I agree with most of the replies on here. We can't afford to sacrifice a CM in this game. However, I do agree that Ben Arfa could cause Norwich a lot of problems. I think it should be HBA and Ba up front, seems no point in dropping Hatem after one ineffective game where he was pretty tightly marked by Romeu.

7. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

On his day, Ben Arfa should be able to rip apart the Norwich defence. I really hope he starts.

8. I can't believe I heard some people on the crowd the other day saying Ben Arfa was **** <doh>

9. TheBeast

TheBeast Member

Lets hope so

10. Up and Hatem

Up and Hatem Member

agreed, but then again there are many fickle fans if ben arfa destroys norwich they will tell me next week how world class he is, however although i love ben arfa and having him in the team but sometimes he tries too much where there is a much simplier option on, maybe he is trying to impress us too much

11. TheBeast

TheBeast Member

I have not had much of a read but am assuming Colo is writen off for this game?? I heard whispers that he was not ruling himself out but perhaps the club have different ideas?

12. TheBeast

TheBeast Member

I thought he got caught out of position to many times on Sat, maybe the manager gave him a free role??

13. Pipe4Life

Pipe4Life Active Member

Jonas in, kadar in, gosling in, and keep everything else the same unless colo is passed fit obviously.

stability is king for me and ben arfas movement should play absolute havoc for them and Ba looks like he's going to score every game at the minute.

14. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Ben Arfa better start shinning otherwise he is out of my FL team. He has been warned. <ok>

15. AH

AH Active Member

^^ This.

Or Abeid instead of Gosling, either way!

Then bring out Shola 'Lollipops' Ameobi if things aren't going well

16. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Guest

Take him out <whistle> This has nothing to do with the fact when people take players out of their FL team they do well, honest.

17. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

The OP doesn't look like a bad option for me.

Everyone is so concerned with us having to play 4-4-2, but that only works when we have the right personnel, which, being honest with ourselves, we haven't at present.

I agree that Norwich will easily expose our CBs, but I think it's only wise to make use of what we have, which at the moment is attacking players. If they score 5, does it matter if we score 6?

Any formation, in my opinion, is a giant risk because we are short from the midfield-back of our first-team class. If Jonas and Obertan help the back four out, and are prepared to dash forwards for counter-attacks, I see no reason why the original suggestion is any more "folly" than the other suggestions on the thread. Ben Arfa can always drop deeper to help Cabaye a bit.

18. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Every time I take a player out they start doing really well. So I wont risk it...yet. <ok>

19. in carr we trust

take him out now.

20. in carr we trust

i think abeid would be the better option as he likes to play dm but also he's played matches recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.