1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints ready to break the bank

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by sotonlad, May 17, 2014.

1. sotonlad

sotonlad Member

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Pretty sure we won't break the bank, but if ever there was a time to spend, that time is now. We have the basis of a great side...just need to spend to strengthen. These magical teams don't come round very often...usually you have a couple of stars and not much else in a club our size. Was there a falling out between Leihberr and Mauricio? It was more between Katharina and Nicola with MP asked to take sides. She certainly didn't find it hard to get him to stay this season.

Don't know whether to put any credence in the Shaw news...he might be told he can't go. Keeping Lallana would be fantastic. Still...not till it is on the OS.

3. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

MP is the key. Him staying sends a message to the players that we are looking to build and improve.

4. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

And the cheapest way to spend big is by improving existing contracts. I see this as a very real possibility.

5. Saintalona

Saintalona Well-Known Member

I'm sure a lot of the players maybe waiting for Poch to sign a new deal before they commit to the club.

6. fran-MLs little camera

Most players have contracts and are not going anywhere. MP staying may convince players of our long term intentions, but most aren't going anywhere. Sorry, I just get mad when people talk as if they will all just up sticks. They didn't leave over Adkins...players are more pragmatic than some fans think. They have houses here and settled wives and kids.

7. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

I rather like that article.

8. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

10. fran-MLs little camera

Hodgson told all the players that he didn't want any of them sorting out moves during the World Cup. So not specific to Adam. The paper has just taken that fact and assumed Adam will want to sort a move out before he joins England.

11. Big_Si

Big_Si Active Member

Yeah, Roy doesn't want any ongoing transfer sagas distracting his squad from the task in hand. I completely agree and am sure the players will just want to focus on preparing and playing in the world cup.

It would be in Roy's interest then, to approach the press and ask them to cut out all of the transfer speculation with England players. If a deal is done in principle then fine report it but when it is pure speculation, it is detrimental to both the player and England. If I was Roy i would tell the press that if they want to have any access to my squad during the WC then they must help us and not constantly report on rumours about England players.

That said if they want to unsettle the likes of Suarez by reporting crap then so be it!!

12. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

In an ideal world, yes, but we are talking about Journalists with the scruples of phone scammers from Asia, They turned a man's head into a turnip for god's sake and their interests very rarely coincide with the nation's when it comes to the England football team.
    They are interested only in selling papers and transfer speculation pandering to the highly populous areas of London, Liverpool and Manchester sells copies.

13. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

The sensible people of Liverpool don't buy "The Sun." Here in Mallorca "Talk Europe" constantly pushes "The Mail." Ugh!!!

14. frenchvic

frenchvic Member

Poch is contracted to the Saints until 2015, if he demands to go put him on gardening leave, appoint a new manager and see if the Spuds still want him in a year. I am really pi**ed off now with all these so called rumours, it seems to me that these big teams ( 1st two fingers on both hands doing inverted comma's) are scared to death of what we could do next season by keeping this team with a couple of new arrivals.

15. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be legal.

16. frenchvic

frenchvic Member

Didn't we do that to Nigel, he couldn't take another job until we had sorted out his contract. As long as we pay Poch can't see where the problem is.

17. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

When i see stories like "the club is ready to break the bank" I think here we go back into risky land and gambling with the clubs future again, If you are not one of the super big clubs then why try and compete with them when there is no need too. The more you pay for a player the more they want in wages and signing on fee and should they be a flop then the club will have to keep paying over the top wages for the rest of his contract and we all know the implications of that...The best way is to have a cap and stay within the clubs wage budget and go for those players who fit into it, Just because a player costs millions does not mean he will be better than someone who costs a lot less. This is where the scouts earn their money to find the right players for the right price for clubs like us in the premiership....let the big clubs buy the over the top players who command stupid wages. stay within your means and don't stray out of it or it could ruin all the work that has got you back to the premiership in a very short time...

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

You're preaching to the converted Dai, I don't think anyone expects or wants our board to go crazy in the transfer window. We know we have to grow in a sustainable way if we are to achieve success. However, the article about breaking the bank referred to what we are supposedly prepared to offer Mauricio Pochettino to persuade him to stay with us, that's a very different scenario. If he stays, most of us think that most of our star players will stay as well.

19. Saint Smiler

Saint Smiler Member

True. But what is being discussed here is the rumour of us breaking the bank to keep hold of our manager and existing players, people we know and are not an unknown quantity.

20. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

The biggest problem clubs have is when they start to pay some players far more than other players who do exactly the same job, We all know that strikers do tend to earn a bit more but when some players are earning thousands of pounds per week more than their team mates it is human nature that some players will be resentful towards other players and it leads to an unhappy dressing room that ends up on the pitch....That is why i have always been in favor of a wage cap that all the squad can achieve with nobody going over what that wage cap is....Money is a powerful tool that can determine how a club performs.