1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Net Spend's

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Disco down under, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/premier-league-net-spend-how-8745765

Interesting if the figures are accurate. Our net spend was 10th highest.

As suspected. Ellis invests more than many financially. Just doesn't get the personnel right.

The tight arse thing doesn't really wash for me. Just think he doesn't spend what he does well.

Hopefully Moyes knows something about the club that we don't.

"10. Sunderland (net spend: £20.07m)

Spent: £27.12million

Received: £6.42million

Major ins: Papy Djilobodji, Paddy McNair, Donald Love, Adnan Januzaj, Javier Manquillo, Steven Pienaar, Didier Ndong, Jason Denayer.

Major outs: Danny Graham, Steven Fletcher, Wes Brown, Emanuele Giaccherini, Santiago Vergini, Will Buckley, Liam Bridcutt, Jordi Gomez, Younes Kaboul, Jeremain Lens."

2. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I seen a figure saying we had received 8.5m and that didn't include the loan fees.
    3.5m Kaboul
    1.5 m Vergini
    1.5m Bridcutt
    2m Giaccherini

3. Deleted #

There's a slight north west influence in our signings...

4. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

All the **** going out for practically nee dosh is from the ONeil and Gus era's.

This was brought up by doneone else but Fletch, Graham and LeNonce a combined 27 million flushed down the pan. The Giacc fee is bewildering too, though, but i guess Sam sanctioned him out.

Did we sell Sessegnon for much, I can't remember?

5. Deleted #

6m for Sessegnon

6. Deleted #

In one transfer window, MON brought Fletcher, Graham and Johnson to the club for 27m.

We have finally got rid of them now and our wage bill must be slashed, just a case of building the squad up now without handing out daft contracts.

Disco down under likes this.
  7. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

If we accept ES's statement that he has the manager he has wanted for five years and Moyes comes good early on then I am confident more funds will come. Appropriate players and the kids coming good tells me our future is brighter than we can imagine.

8. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

Doesn't impress me at all, 6th lowest spenders in total outlay, only 6m incoming which is our biggest problem, we never have anyone to sell at a decent profit, 27m spent but half of that was on one player, I'm usually optimistic but I just can't see any silver lining here at all, club is being run into the ground.

Sorry, I hate being all doom and gloom, but its **** I'm afraid.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  9. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

so no significant cash return. i wonder what our net spend has been over the last 10 years.... vs everyone else who have been in the league

10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

I mock Mr Short often. But in reality he has done well, and does part with the cash.

He has overseen the likes of AJ. Bent. Gyan etc all coming and going.

He is the owner that is in charge of the clubs most successful period in many a decade. Ten years in the prem and ongoing is pretty damn good.

Many of us (me inc) just look at figures and yell Spend Ellis ya tightarse twat. While looking at other clubs throwing money around like at a cheap poledancing joint.

Take the mags for ex. That Mike Ashley is a smart cookie. His wealth dwarfs ES. He spends a ****load. But also gets a ****load back. He is a wheeler dealer. But twice he has taken them down.

He will back Moyes in times to come. Maybe not megabucks. But he will back him.

11. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I've never been concerned about ES investing, it's proven he digs into his own pocket and bails the club out, just look at the financial figures each year for proof.

What others me is the mis-management of those funds and the constant pay-off of crap managers. We must have shelled out at least £20m getting rid of the last 8 managers in as many years?

sussexmackem likes this.
  12. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

On the other hand what was available for him at the time and who has he approached in the past? I would not be surprised if he was not the only one who went after Moyes, but with ManU on the horizon Moyes would take some convincing to start doing an Everton all over again. If any of ES's appointments had got something going then he would have been backed all the more. In his reign he has appointed three experienced and three potentially good manager who did not produce the goods, and Advocaat is the only manager he has not sacked in his search for success. Appointing those who "saved" us went on to achieve nothing. Hardly ES's fault.

For me the man is ambitious for us and no matter how slow Moyes' does it I am sure it will be with support from ES..

red&white wanderer likes this.
  13. Disco down under

think sacking managers has likely cost us a bit over £10m and I'm being generous on what I reckon their contracts were. We've sacked 4 managers in that time.

Keane £1m (resigned but have a feeling he sued)
    Sbragia £0m (resigned)
    Bruce (estimate on 2.5 years left on 30k contract) £3.5m (Sacked)
    Martin O'Neill (estimate on 18 months left on 30k contract) £2m (sacked)
    Di Canio (estimate on 2 years left on 15k contract) £1.5m (sacked)
    Poyet (estimate on 1 year left on 20k contract) £1m (sacked)
    Dick Advocaat £0m (resigned)
    Big Sam - +£3m (poached)

That's about 8.5m out and 3m in for Sam. Probably slightly off but I doubt by more than a million or two.

Norway likes this.
  14. mackemwelder

I'm not saying it was ES's fault at all mate, just trying to explain (badly) where we have been hemorrhaging money, lots of it.

15. mackemwelder

I can't remember the thread mate but there was a similar discussion on here a week or so ago and it was mentioned then the pay outs to managers was around the £20m mark. Either way, even at £10m, it's a bog chunk of our debt.

16. Disco down under

I don't believe 20m to be true at all. Would be interesting to see the figures for the league in that time.

Our problem is big contracts to ****e players.

17. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Well on loans there defo 2m on Coates.

18. Deleted #

I'd say roughly the same for Lens, as well.

Brian Storm likes this.
  19. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

FWIW - Di Canio was on Goals on Sunday about 2 months after he went and he said he took no pay off from Sunderland at all! His words were something along the lines of "I failed with the job so I did not want paying for it" can;t remember specifically. I thought the bloke was an absolute nutcase but seems a very genuine football fella.

20. Disco down under

I like him as a bloke. Just not as a manager. We really haven't spent much getting rid of managers.