1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Assessment of Monk

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by ValleyGraduate12, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack Well-Known Member

I would think that Monk's outburst on Rhodes has killed any chance of that player coming to us. After all why would he want to take a step down to work for Monk.

2. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Maybe you're confusing "vitriol, ridicule, abuse and denigration" with "a contrary opinion"? I've been reading this site since I joined in 2013 and honestly don't recall your persecution. All I remember is people trying to give GM a chance and trying to be positive. Whilst some others were not willing to even give GM a chance simply because he replaced ML.

You should name them, would be educational for me.

3. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack Well-Known Member

DMG .... I don't have to name them and I am not confused. Scroll back through this forum over the Feb 2014 through to say Aug 2014 and you can read it all for yourself. There are many very long time posters on this site, now long gone, because of the treatment their opinions received.

4. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Well said, couldn't agree more! Some of us want Monk to succeed, while it's clear that a few would love him to flop? I just hope that these last few 'bad days at the office' are sorted, and we pick ourselves up dust ourselves down and move onwards and upwards, but Monk can no longer afford to stay pally with the players, he has to get more ruthless, players not cutting it need dropping.............<ok>

5. DragonPhilljack

"vitriol, ridicule, abuse and denigration" that will be the 'Monk Haters' the class of 2013/14 Laudrop losers, you know who you are, sad buggers....<laugh>

6. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Phil I have to say that i think all want or wanted him to succeed. I didn't want him as manager but early on was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't sure about the style of football we were playing but went with it even though I found it quite boring at times. But and it is a big but, some and that isnt you have to be honest on the other side of things and admit when he is doing things wrong, which at the moment appears to be quite a lot and some just cant accept that. I along with every Supporter would have loved it if he had been the next Mourinho, but as it stands i don't think he has it in him to take us forward any further. I think 2 or 3 more games with out a win should see the end of him for me anyway.

7. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

Are there alternatives?
    Should we look at bringing in a seasoned coach to work him through this period?
    At least when Paulo ("Yes, we finished seventh, which was one place higher than the previous season, but I put that achievement down to the attitude of the players rather than anything Paulo Sousa gave us") wasn't doing anything useful the players brought us through so maybe buck the manager trend and go for 'a collective'!

Yankee_Jack and DragonPhilljack like this.
  8. DragonPhilljack

Agree that he is starting to look up against it, it could change with Britton and Ki back, but the next 3 or 4 games are now going to be crucial for Monk, sink or swim, he will have it all to do after today............<ok>

9. DragonPhilljack

I must admit that statement from Monk, which I presume is from his book, is not one I like, matter of fact it is ignorant of how Sousa made us the best defence that season in the absence of a forward line to write home about, I have a soft spot for Sousa.............<ok>

ValleyGraduate12 and Yankee_Jack like this.
  10. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I'll send a tenner down for his bus ticket, in fact I'll drive down pick him up. :)

11. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

I want the man to succeed for the teams sake but sadly I do not believe this will happen. Sack him now or we will go from 9th to 10th to 11th etc very quickly. Get rid of Gomis, always thought he was pants from day 1 and have said it on here many times since his day 1. All has been said re Shelvey, Rangel, Dyer, Routledge etc. How much time does Monk want to buy DECENT players and get rid of the crap? Dai will give him until the day he dies but we will be in League 2 by then.

12. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Remember when we could do this ? seems a long time ago now .

13. The Lone Rangel

The Lone Rangel Active Member

It's becoming increasingly apparent that Monk is a lot better at sucking up to chairmen and conspiring against a manager than he is at actually being one. It's remarkable how quickly he's torn up everything that's worked for us over the last three years without having any idea of what to replace it with, and nothing short of mystifying how a team under the control of such an out of his depth manager has managed to scrape up 30 points already.

JackPA26 and Pete from Crete like this.
  14. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Swan I was there and very tired after all those steps to my seat and was very near the back. I have to say of all my days watching the swans that day was in my top 3. unbelievable. I kept staring at the score board and forgot to watch the game. If only we played with that passion and skill. To top it all we went back to all the strippers in Benidorm.

Simple question do people honestly believe that our starting 11 is better than that side. I am not so sure. Then again that might just be me caught up in the moment.

swantastic likes this.
  15. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

"Yes, we finished seventh, which was one place higher than the previous season, but I put that achievement down to the attitude of the players rather than anything Paulo Sousa gave us", G Monk

Yankee_Jack likes this.
  16. neathjack

neathjack Active Member

I hope we reach those heights again but today it is difficult to see. Perhaps we will look back on those days as swansea's peak.

How many of those players, comfortable playing quick passing attacking football have left, Hernadez, canas, Michu Chico and De Guzman, Ben Davies and Bony. Whatever the issues or transfer fee that is too many.

JackPA26 likes this.
  17. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

considering that we are not a selling club it seems the heart has left the team over the last year or so. Its been obvious to a few of us that we needed serious strengthening at the back for ages (a lot better now ! )and the wingers have not been able to cross a ball ( bit better now but not much ? )and maybe some players are getting a bit old for the pace up here,( some gone some could do better ? ) plus a lot of bottling out and dropped heads have appeared from nowhere, ( hope not to see that again ! )strength in depth seems like a dirty word to those in charge. And dont they see or care about what the fans see as obvious cause they dont seem to be doing anything to sort it either on the training ground or in the boardroom ? ( hmmmmm )

We may well have seen the best that we will get at this level but i hope not i feel some major surgery is needed sharpish before the blip becomes a rut !( got some tidy new boys in but blowing hot n cold to much )
    Or it could just be that weve been spoilt rotten in recent years and expect better all the time ? i dont, just as long as we see a fighting committed effort from the team it will be easier to take the poor displays of late, i think the top half teams have been poor in general up till xmas and were lucky to be top half at the mo, and dont have a god given right to be top 10 but should have the heart to want it , survival is still priority as its always been up here cause the team could drop like a stone easily if not sorted out pronto. ( still the same ? )

20/09/2015 now and not much of ^^^^^^^^^^ above has changed ?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  18. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

I wonder if any scouts are at the ACN or Asian Cup, after watching the AC, there are some good players out there, better than some of the crap we have

19. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

"a few would love him to flop". Such an asinine comment.

20. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member