1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

http://news.sky.com/story/nhs-could-ban-sugary-drinks-from-hospital-shops-10844589

Hospital shops told to reduce sales of sugary drinks (inc. fruit juice)...not sure how they achieve that except by running out of stock. Don't really approve of this.....sick people need nourishment and energy whatever the source. If you are scarcely eating, a Mars bar or an orange juice would do you more good than a carrot stick. I approve of such actions in school shops because of the long term effect on children, but hospital patients are trapped and need feeding and being made happy....not the time to try and put right all the sins of their previous life. And visitors won't be there long enough for it to make any difference to them. As for the truly obese, they have to change themselves...a minor reduction in sugar intake enforced by the authorities will have limited effect. Leave the sick alone.

Whiteley Saint likes this.
  2. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Could I ask if anyone has recent experience of Saints Merchandise recently. Specificly ordering a shirt with your name printed on it. I need a shirt by 29th April and doubt it would be delivered by then. Is there an option to have the printing done at the shop, I'm in Southampton on the 27th but would obviously need it done there and then, is that an option?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, could be under Saints Stuff I suppose, but thought I might stand a better chance of a response.

3. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

4. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Why not ring them up to ask or even place the order now over the phone and explain that you need it for the 29th? I don't know how long it takes to do this kind of printing but you may be able to pick it up from there on the 27th.

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I take your point but they have to be seen to be discouraging the consumption of junk food and sweets. They are hospitals. Not supermarkets.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  6. fran-MLs little camera

http://news.sky.com/story/arkansas-begins-11-day-run-of-executions-10844645

Arkansas carry out first of a number of executions before their supply of midazolam runs out of date....connected with the recent decision of drug companies not to supply drugs for executions. These people may deserve to die and may be guilty of heinous crimes, but I think it is dreadful for a government to cold-bloodedly plan to kill someone. Instant retaliation at the time by a family member and I would fully support them, but this is too awful. I think this is one area where we differ from Americans....family members regularly accept invitations to watch the executions. I would never do that, though it is important to have witnesses (if you are going to kill people in this way). Apparently unconnected people volunteer to watch and see it as their duty....strange, strange people.

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Can't agree Fran. Apart from people with diabetes having a hypoglycaemic episode, there isn't a single medical condition known to humanity which is improved by drinks with added sugar, and Mars Bars are even worse. Neither are they any use to athletes, and they are especially bad for children. Hospitals have a duty of care to their patients, and allowing them to poison themselves goes against any civilised standards. Hospital food is actually very nutritious, usually quite tasty, and is increasingly tending towards healthy. What's more, to inpatients, it's free.

8. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

It would help if you do a sun dance so it will have arrived by the time I get there late Saturday. :emoticon-0157-sun:

No pressure but the success of my holiday is now in your hands. :p

9. fran-MLs little camera

Very ill patients sometimes just need calories. My friend was very ill (and sadly died soon after)....healthy meals may have been available, but she was unable to eat more than a mouthful. The odd piece of chocolate gave her more energy and certainly gave her some happiness.

10. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Ta Helen. This bear of little brain did think to do that just after posting. Not a goer though. Maybe just doesn't work though the lady I spoke to (eventually) was very sweet.

11. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Oh dear... Working in Highways we get forecasts summaries. The one issued today (admittedly for south west Wales) reads:

2-5 DAY FORECAST ISSUED FRIDAY 21ST APRIL 2017: Dry and clear on Saturday night. Cloudy at first on Sunday but staying dry. Clouding over overnight. Increasingly cold and showery in the next few days.
    6-10 day: The airflow could be more north-westerly or westerly, bringing bands of heavy rain or showers at times. Temperatures will be slow to recover to seasonal average from midweek onwards. There is low confidence at this stage.

Wellies and warm winter coats recommended by the looks of things :(

12. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

I see your point, and yes, in that situation I wouldn't argue against the patient's short-term needs. The vast majority of people in hospitals though, and that includes inpatients, outpatients, visitors and staff, are better off without any added sugar in their diets.

13. fran-MLs little camera

The only people who might consume fewer calories will be doctors and nurses who (like many workers) get tempted by instant gratification during a tough day.

14. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Refined sugars are poisons which our bodies aren't designed to cope with, which explains the abundance of obesity, heart disease, cancer etc. which they have been proven to cause. Society would be better off giving workers longer breaks and better food, the health benefits would pay for themselves.

15. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Luckily I have packed the dogs coat and as it's a walking holiday we have all the gear unlike some idiots you see!

Saint Helen likes this.
  16. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

Never tried it, but heard good things.

17. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Spot the idiot at the back, the tall one with the curly hair, just in a shirt! just before the ascent of the almighty Sugar Loaf in Abergavenny!
    DSCN9800 (2).JPG

18. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

If you go to the ground they print while you wait (about five mins if no-one else is around - should be pretty clear on a Thursday). I'm also pretty sure that they print in the shop in West Quay these days, though it might be wise to check before planning on that basis.

Vin

19. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Man gets astoundingly wet in Abergavenny.

And in other shock Abergavenny news:

Vin

davecg69 and It’s Only A Game like this.
  20. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

I'm telling you, Abergavenny is where it's at!

It’s Only A Game likes this.