1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Cb, Nov 24, 2012.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It's not so much the 'bargain' thing, more that a lot of deals get done near the end because (1) It's near the end of the window (2) The clubs and players all put their cards on the table (3) The agents push through the deals (4) The bargaining time is over.

Lemar has reportedly been our No1 target after we got Lacazette. He's also agreed personal terms with Arsenal apparently. So it's just down to the clubs to agree a fee. Not surprised this has gone to the end, because Monaco have been playing hardball trying to get the most money they can for him. They've said 'we're not selling' hoping that Arsenal cough up another £10-£15m or another club come in with a mega £60m-£70m offer.

The latter is a danger of course, but it sounds like Lemar has his heart set on Arsenal, and clearly Arsenal have been talking to Monaco about the deal. Let's hope the two clubs can agree a fee and get this one over the line <ok>

2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Or, maybe like Southampton, Liverpool and RBL not selling means just that.
    They lost a lot of players early in the window so may have shut up shop now. You should have got in early.

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I would assume Monacos 'not selling' stance comes from the fact they had already sold Menby, Bakayoko, Germain and Silva.

If Lemar was our No.1 target we should have gone all out to get him early in the window. It is procastination that has costs us again.

Diego likes this.
  4. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

We also have the underlining problem of an over bloated squad. We can buy other players but then we'll have a load of players on the books getting paid. To be honest, this is poor planning for us. We need some changes at our club so we run more efficiently.

5. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I think a few factors have probably played a part.

Going for mbappe originally, not managing to shift players who are excess to requirements, Monaco selling other key players etc...

6. lazarus20000

We do need an overhaul on our wage structure and stop giving high wages to most. This has led to us struggling to shift players.

Diego and afcftw like this.
  7. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I personally think the board are the ones who mess up key off field things which have a negative effect on the team. This has held us back on numerous occasions I reckon.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  8. lazarus20000

I agree. It's annoying as these inefficiencies have hurt us over the years including this year too. The management need to pull up their socks and support Wenger as best as they can. Leaving everything to Wenger shouldn't be the strategy anymore, let him concentrate on the coaching side.

afcftw likes this.
  9. TheBear

Seri had apparently rejected an Arsenal deal to join Barcelona - who have now pulled out of the deal.

Wonder if we will go back in for him?

10. lazarus20000

Well it's kind of embarrassing for both sides now <laugh>

TheBear likes this.

11. TheBear

Wenger has refused to rule out the possibility of Mustafi leaving before the Window closes. Inter and Juventus both showing interest.

Personally hav'nt been impressed by Mustafi he's decent but I dont think he's a great partner for Koscielny. He's small and very poor in the air.

I'm hoping the Van Dijk rumours have some weight. He would be perfect for us.

12. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Van Dijk would be a phenomenal signing, and would for once be the exact type of signing we should be making.

13. TheBear

Agreed. He's handed in a transfer request at Southampton so you would hope Arsenal have at least enquired about the player.

But we will probably end up with another 5'11 obscure French CB playing in the Belgian league.

14. TheBear

Why are we being linked to Benzema again?!

Top player but that would make absolutely NO sense.

15. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

A lot of media outlets reporting Ox has turned down our final contract offer, apparently of 180k a week.

If this is true, I think we need to sell him asap to the highest bidder. I'm sick of not having committed players, and I think it's time to move him on.

16. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

Will be a shame if we sell him now, not because I think he's a great player but because Wenger won't replace him

If he's turning down £180k then I guess it's not Liverpool that are turning his head

white_gunner likes this.
  17. lazarus20000

Turned down £180k a week? WTF if true, no way is he worth that much.

18. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

We need to sell, our squad's too big as it is.

Plus the only position he is vaguely competent in, he's back up to Bellerin.

Ta ra Alex. I would say thanks for the memories... But I won't. Because I don't have really any of you. :emoticon-0149-no:

gooner4ever likes this.
  19. TheBear

Rumours are that Mustafi never really settled at Arsenal is unhappy and wants to push for this move to Inter.

Cant say I would be sad about him leaving. I hope this means we will bring in a TOP Cb before the window closes though.

20. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

It'd be a shame for Ox to leave, but I think we can all agree he's never going to reach his full potential at Arsenal and it's best to leave for pastures new. The reality is his development has stunted.
    If he's rejected a £180k p/w contract, that says to me he genuinely does want to move on for the sake of his career progression, rather than greed, which you can't really knock him for. He's been at the club for 6 years and think we can all agree he's not reached the heights expected of him, despite his marvellous skillset as an athlete and the flashes of brilliance he has illustrated at times.

However, I only think we should sell him if we have a replacement lined up (whether it be internal or external). If we don't, I'd rather we let him see out his contract.

It's the same situation with Mustafi. He's shown potential at times, but he's not really cut the mustard on the whole. Very lightweight, not great in the air, can be rash with his tackles and gets rolled too easily by his man. He put in some good performances at times, but he's been pretty average overall. Again though, it's a situation where if we don't have anyone ready to take his place, I would rather we keep him.

The problem is we have less than a week before the window closes and English clubs get ripped off as it is. Other teams aren't going to want to sell their important players now. And if they do, it's going to add a premium to the already inflated fees that we'd have to pay anyway.

It just screams of a lack of strategy and foresight from the club. If we knew Mustafi and Ox wanted out, we should have had replacements in mind as soon as possible. Now it could be a situation where we've got our tail between our legs.

BobbyD likes this.