1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Cricket Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

207 all out . Last 6 wickets fell for 15 runs :headbang:

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Good to get that over with...dust ourselves off and move on.
    What tour of India? Did we go in 2016? See...gone already. :huh:

3. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

In the 77/78 promotion season, Lawrie bought his team up to Burnley (I think it was; one of the Manchester milltowns, anyway) and at half time we were being stuffed 3-0. Second half we played well, their keeper had a blinder and we only scored once. On MOTD that night he told a reporter that he's asked the team to play for their pride in the second half.

Contrast that to the pathetic display from England today. Just bat out the day on a wicket where a kid just out of nappies has scored 303 not out. Sorry, no can do. I rarely criticise my sporting heroes, and as an ex club cricketer myself I do admire the skill of this England team. But by God that was shockingly awful.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

That senile dementia can come in handy, can't it whatsyername?

5. Number 1 Jasper

Seconded .

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

st_brendy likes this.
  7. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know it was strongly rumoured after his spell with us in 2015, but it was never realistic due to him being in and around the international team. Which is exactly why this is so astounding if it comes off. I get that there's is so much fear around the closure of the kolpak route post Brexit, but giving up your international career at 29 is a hell of a decision. But what a signing it would be. Abbott, Fidel, and Topley (with Berg in support) suddenly looks like a top D1 attack, if all are fit and on form.

tomw24 likes this.
  8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think we are about to become the most hated county. I can just imagine the reaction if we win division 1 next season!

9. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Indeed.

And having just re-read the article, there's a sentence in there I had missed: "Hampshire are also understood to be in talks with Rilee Rossouw."

That could potentially be even better than Abbott. Now there's a batsman who can play in all three formats. Averages around 40 in ODI cricket for SA.

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We obviously want to get back to Finals Day. :) With T20 overseas players to come we could have a frighteningly good line up.

11. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Vince has just signed for Sydney Thunder, to replace Morgan. I'm sure he can have a word with Watson (his new captain) whilst he's over there.

12. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Both deals confirmed today. With these two in the side, Topley (hopefully) fit again and Vince unlikely to be playing tests the Hampshire side looks quite a bit stronger.

13. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Topley having surgery on his left shoulder so more questions about his fitness.

14. Number 1 Jasper

15. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Naturally of course a lot of county fans will see us as enemy number one, for signing a couple of kolpaks to go alongside us somehow being in the wrong for still being in D1 this coming season, but being biased I really don't care. In the space of just three signings this winter (including George Bailey) we've suddenly got ourselves possibly the best squad I can remember during my time of following the club. And they key word there is squad. It goes beyond the first XI. Hell, just picking a first XI is hard enough. And that is without yet signing a second t20 overseas player (who will hopefully either be an opener, or an allrounder - our t20 team could still do with either, subject to Carberry's future).

If the best happens, and Carberry recovers to return, the teams could be something like:

CC

1 & 2: Adams/Caberry/Smith/Alsop filling the top two spots, with two left out.
    3 - 6: Ervine/Bailey/Vince/Dawson/Rossouw filling the next four spots (in whatever order), with one left out.
    7: McManus (Christ, just think what a batting line-up we would have if Wheater was still here)
    8: Berg
    9: Abbott
    10: Fidel
    11. Topley/Wheal (Topley may not be fit, and even if he is, his workload will almost be managed in favour of limited overs cricket)

That's one top bowler short of being title contenders in my view. But certainly sufficient to avoid a bottom two finish, even if a smaller division now.

There's three batsmen there for cover, in addition to Topley or Wheal, plus Crane and the kids (I think realistically we can't now think of Wood as a four-day player, simply due to the injuries he picks up).

One-day

Carberry (if he doesn't recover, then probably Berg or Smith, with everyone moving up one - otherwise we're looking at 10 overs from Slug, albeit an excellent other 40 overs)
    Vince
    Alsop
    Bailey
    Ervine
    Rossouw
    Dawson
    McManus
    Wood
    Abbott
    Topley

t20

Carberry
    Vince
    Bailey
    Ervine
    Rossouw
    Dawson
    Overseas All-Rounder (otherwise Berg or Smith - so that Slug is our 6th bowler, regardless)
    McManus
    Wood
    Abbott
    Topley

16. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

It's the words in the article: "We said this is a guy who can play at the closest level to AB de Villiers in the one-day teams."

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  17. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rossouw will open in the T20 and will be higher than 6 in the OD format I would think.

18. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

You'd have thought so. But then when you look at the squad, it's already quite top heavy in limited overs. And arguably the hardest time to score runs is deeper into the innings (even Dawson, who has become excellent at the death, needs a lot of time of the crease before being able to fire). Hence I'm putting Rossouw a lot lower than his quality warrants - but because of such quality.

Not that it particularly matters though. Put him anywhere you like in the order for all I care. I'm just delighted to have him.

tomw24 likes this.
  19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The SA coach is seriously pissed off at the moment! Got to feel for him.

20. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Saw Carbs on TV the other day and he looked really well so fingers crossed he's back. Could be a very exciting season.