1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

2. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Have done exactly the same, Fran. My laptop updated yesterday (I stupidly hit "update and close down") and I've spent all day today trying to get it back to where it was. I can't use the internet on either Chrome or whatever Microsoft call IE these days and now the whole thing has frozen on me and I can't even start it up, I just get a blue screen with a string of little dots going round in a circle. I used to be good at handling PC stuff, but this time I fear I'm going to have to call in outside help. One can't even start the damn thing up in safe mode anymore, it seems.
    Frustrated of Winchester

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

TSS posted this recently, but we both ignored it. My computer loaded something else and now seems better. I partly respect people who know the tricks of the trade, but in general I think poorly of people in IT....if they were that good these cock ups wouldn't happen. I think they just want to make sure we keep IT guys in business repairing or replacing. equipment. There is no other product where vast knowledge is assumed in the purchaser.

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I can assure you that vast IT knowledge is not assumed of the purchaser. At least not by me. I can only do what I can do to help people. If they don't want to heed my advice then that's up to them.

5. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right. I didn't actually ignore it, but forgot and updated automatically when I was tired and inattentive. I think that's the annoying thing with these updates - they keep asking you to do it and, eventually, you forget and it does it. I think that's what annoys me the most.
    I'm going back to re-read TSS' post and see what I can do - thanks TSS. Hopefully I can recover things - I'm discovering now that it may be a firewall issue ......

6. fran-MLs little camera

Wasn't getting at you....was annoyed at myself for forgetting your post (like Tom). I love people who understand computer foibles and help me out....but get annoyed at how complicated computers can be for users. If you have bought one and it suits you, why can't you be left alone to use it. Would have no problem with their tinkering if they didn't mess things up, but in the past (not yet on this computer) I had to frequently go back and unload the updates....before carrying on quite happily without them. I'm sure that will make experts roll their eyes....but I bet I touch a chord with ordinary people who have no interest in computers beyond using one as a useful tool.

davecg69 and fatletiss like this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

2 years ago today both Pelle and Austin scored fantastic goals at St Marys.

Also the day this beautiful little dude was born - though you'll have to take my word for that as it's a blurry photo with no face ;)

Attached Files:

Archers Road likes this.
  8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

He's got a great fashion sense!!

Libby likes this.
  9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Hmm....apparently Trump was much better than Hillary in the debate...according to one observer who I trust, but everyone else says she absolutely destroyed him (and he has a suspicious tendency to sniff a lot!)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  10. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm surprised that Graziano hasn't become a model, to be honest... Oh! You meant the baby... :D Happy birthday Baby LL :emoticon-0166-cake:

11. fatletiss

You mean this dude?

GraziPelle Car_jpg-pwrt3.jpg

12. Saint Helen

fatletiss likes this.
  13. fatletiss

Oh no! I have just found "Jaws" in my garden. He was our 15/16" Grass Carp and the bloody Heron must have got him.... it is illegal to shoot a heron right??? It's a beautiful bird, but a pain. I thought we'd stopped him.

:(

14. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that.

15. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Don't worry, I knew you weren't getting at me. And I see your point entirely regards dealing with problems. It'll be a very long time before a computer will be in the same bracket as a, say a kettle. Computers are nerdy products. You have to acquire a bit of knowledge to use them. Quite a bit more than how to use a kettle, for instance. It's why I bother to give out computer advice on here. And I know it can all be frustrating. It's because computers are the most versatile and capable products on the planet. If they are hemmed in by too much design they become less so. So we live with it. Be an odd world without them now, eh.?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  16. fran-MLs little camera

Be a strange world without computers....I'd be staring blankly at a table now for instance. <laugh>

davecg69 and VocalMinority like this.
  17. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Even I'd be good looking next to that car.

18. Saint Helen

Car? What car? :confused: :D

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

What a busy day, took the boy to Marwell for his birthday had a great time, very tiring though!

He's been walking around all day pointing to the Saints badge on his shirt and telling anyone who will listen 'look! Super* Saints!' :)

Also got him with me for the night we been to my Dads and had chippy for dinner, only just gone to bed now.

Lovely day but absolutely knackered!!!

*He can't quite say the word super yet so it's more like "Suser Saints!"

Well sweet though n close enough <laugh>

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member