1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Please god not Everton.

2. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Hard to move to Everton or Spurs when you haven't played a game for two years. He should look abroad now.

3. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

That's the problem with watching football on a screen, you just don't see it all

saintrichie123, garysfc and fatletiss like this.
  4. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

They have Darren Gibson, they need no more quality in that area.
    <laugh>

5. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Yep, you may all be right about Classie I may be wrong but I've yet to see him put in a game changing performance in the way that any number of our other guys can. And I would venture so far as to say he could be swapped out with any number of other anonymous midfielders from the Premier League and it would make no difference to our performances.

6. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

Yes in a blink of an eyelid, and why would he not come back. He strikes me as ambitious and wants to play, he may have to take a cut in wages, but does £5m or £3m per annum change your lifestyle, I think not, but for self worth you want to play!

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Underated player. Nobby stiles.

KillerCephalopod and davecg69 like this.
  8. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I'd bet my life you wont be using his name as an example of an underrated midfielder 5 years from now never mind 55. - Clasie that is.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  9. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

That's a really big pair of shoes for Jordy to fill (sorry, couldn't help myself <laugh>). Seriously though, he has looked really good at times (recently against Burnley), but does seem to struggle at others. Still undecided personally. As others have said, good squad player. As for being better than Davis (someone suggested above), nah, not for me. Davis has not been as good as the last couple of seasons (probably because of Euro's), but he still creates much more than any of our other midfielders and his all-round game is quite frankly a level or two above the likes of JWP and Clasie. His shooting lets him down for sure, but he will still get 4-5 a season, and assist just as many.

10. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Some stats:
    Davis has 9 goals and 14 assists in 4 and a bit seasons with saints. He got 5 goals last season as well.
    JWP has 4 goals and 13 assists with about half his appearances as sub, in his 4 and a bit seasons (playing much less game time than Davo - I'd imagine some assists were set-pieces which he also brings to the team).

Davis is weird because he can shoot, example: Away against Chelsea last season. But he also really can't, example: we don't need reminding.

KillerCephalopod likes this.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

I might be imaging it but I think Davis doesn't suit this system as well as others.

12. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Well last season he played at the tip of a midfield 3, often the link between midfield and attack so could buzz around in space linking play. This season he has to play the same role as Clasie/Hjobjerg where he really plays as a centre mid tracking out wide/forwards and backwards, which doesn't really suit him as much as it suits Clasie for example.

Libby likes this.
  13. KillerCephalopod

KillerCephalopod Active Member

Yep, personally speaking I think JWP is one of the really underrated players in our squad; CP is probably the perfect manager to bring him and all our youngsters on, though. He's really a perfect "Southampton manager" in a way which not all have been.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

But there are plenty of games for everyone. Important to keep everyone match fit because we will use them all. Puel will know who his best players are, but its hard to play them all season.

fatletiss, VVD and KillerCephalopod like this.
  16. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Well off the top of my head two of JWP's goals were penalties and one was a free-kick. So with that in mind his goals-from-open-play ratio quite frankly is not good enough. He is a much better set-piece taker than Davis, and of course he does have bags of potential. I've always liked him and I still do. But he is a long, long way from having as much influence in games as Davis does. Davis' only issue for me right now is that he hasn't had a rest since the summer of '15. The Euro's quite obviously affected the form of Long, Fonte and Cedric, and so this probably why Davis may (in the eyes of some) have struggled (a tiny bit).

17. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

18. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

And Davis offers zero threat from his corners and is obviously the best we have apart from JWP (Tadic from the other side/Betrand if fit). I understand Davis' influence and don't doubt that. I think he's a better player than JWP at the moment. As I said above this new role for him doesn't suit him as much as Clasie/Hjobjerg and obviously no rest hasn't helped..

19. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Stoke City and England right-back Glen Johnson has been put forward as a low-cost potential January addition for Barcelona. (STOKE SENTINEL)

o_O

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

You really need to post a warning before saying something like that....I nearly choked on my tea.

Libby, VVD and Whiteley Saint like this.