1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Cricket Thread 2015-16

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

Cant agree with your accusation at all - I think your a blatant moaner Tom !

2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The expectation of a poor pitch was probably the main reason why I never had any intention of paying £60-ish plus travel money to go up there.

Yesterday was not a one off. The Edgbaston pitch is regularly poor these days. Two years ago we limped to about 130, and Surrey only just limped past it in their chase. And the Champions Trophy final that same year (I think) was awful between us and India. The Indian spinners just had a field day.

If what some people in the media say is correct, then one reason is because the new drainage there is simply too good. It just sucks all the moisture out of the surface. Warwickshire aren't idiots when they sign up Jeetan Patel as the overseas player every year now.

Where is Finals Day next season? Oh yes, Edgbaston again.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Ladies T20: First Australian wicket gone for 8 runs.

And Shrubsole picks up a second. Aussies 9-2. Why did we have to collapse in the last T20....this could have been for the Ashes...such a shame.

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Anyone would him Tom is a lad who goes OTT with his reactions the way you've said that Alfie ... <laugh>

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know you're joking but I'm not going over the top. The Sky commentators and pundits said the same thing.

fatletiss likes this.
  6. fran-MLs little camera

Aussies 35-4. Shrubsole 4 for 8.

7. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Just back good trip but but have to agree with Tom both semis spoilt by the pitch. Very poor entertainment.

tomw24 likes this.
  8. fran-MLs little camera

Aussies all out for 111....fielding and bowling not been a problem for England. They bowled Australia out for 107 in the last T20. Now if only they could bat or the Aussies had worse bowlers.

9. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

Ha ha cmon Tom admit it you are a moaner - but a good moaner !
    Seriously though thats your opinion and that of others and thats fair enough, but for me all teams had to play on the same pitch and thats the end of it. T20 may be all about smashing the ball for 6 but it is good to see the bowlers in the game as well - i like to see a wicket as well as a 6 myself. Whatever, i think the best team out of the 4 won the competition whatever the pitch was like - and thats from a long time Hants supporter.

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree that the best team won on the day but Finals Day should be full of 4's and 6's with a par score of 160 with every game. You bat well you get 180+.

11. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

Ah well as they say it would be a boring old world if we all thought the same !

12. lamby

I accept it was the same for all teams but the balance between bat and ball was clearly badly wrong. 4 scores under 140 tells a poor story entertainment wise.

13. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

As ive said in my exchange with Tom above, i see it differently and dont think it as 'badly wrong'. The only team to get bowled out was Hants, the only team not to hit a 6 was Hants. The only team not to make any form of respectable score was Hants, not one of our batters could stay with Vince who did well otherwise it could have been really embarrassing. I found it entertaining when wickets were falling as well as seeing good batters in form hit the required runs, in all 3 games. Just a pity we failed so miserably, but thats life Jim.

14. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Seems like forever since our last four day game, but here is tomorrow's squad: Michael Carberry, Jimmy Adams, Will Smith, James Vince, Sean Ervine, Joe Gatting, Adam Wheater, Liam Dawson, Gareth Berg, Mason Crane, Fidel Edwards, James Tomlinson, Ryan Stevenson, Ryan McLaren.

Stevenson is a young bowling all-rounder, who has impressed this season in local cricket (for Devon, I think). Bowls a bit quick, and gives it a bit of a whack, I understand. But there's surely no way that he'll start tomorrow - the game is far too important to take a risk on him.

On that basis, and assuming that McLaren will slot straight in for Bird, then there are two selection issues:

One, Ervine is fit again. But in four limited overs matches, he hasn't yet scored any real runs. So do we recall him to the side, and if so then who for? Adams was the stand out candidate after our last four day game, but has his 50 over form saved him for at least one more game? Dawson hasn't yet scored any four day runs since his return from Essex, and given that two spinners wont be necessary away to Durham, he is surely also a candidate. But it's possible that we might well just not recall Ervine.

Two, as I mentioned above, we don't need two spinners at the Riverside. But Crane's form has been excellent, and Dawson can only really be dropped if it is Ervine who replaces him - our tail would be too long again if we replaced Dawson with Tommo. So do we stick with Crane, or as a one-off horses-for-courses selection pick, do we go for Tommo rather than Crane?

15. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

18-2 after 4 overs in the t 20 match .

16. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Pat Cummins looks a bit quick! <yikes>

17. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Stick with Crane IMO. Seamers can be Edwards, Berg, McClaren and Ervine can bowl as well. Ervine should be recalled IMO as he will score quickly if he stays in which is always a good thing.

18. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What the hell does Vince have to do to get a game for England?

19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Sign for Liverpool, Man u, spurs?

20. lamby

Yep disgrace he should def be in the team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.