1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Tottenham Hotspur "Spiral" Watch

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by The Ginger Marks, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

So in summary you're happy with Spurs never winning a thing and simply making up the numbers.

#ambition

Blueman, The Ginger Marks and PINKIE like this.
  2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

6 points awarded to Tobes
    2 FUM points awarded to HIAG

The Ginger Marks and Tobes like this.
  3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Maybe not.
    City and Chelsea were undoubtedly given a huge financial boost to get initial success, but success wins you fans, and with more fans comes increased revenue.
    City and Chelsea both have much higher revenue than Spurs, and it is because they win things, and success breeds glory hunters.
    Why do you think Man United have such a high turnover? Because they started to dominate English football just as it started being broadcast worldwide, thats why they are in the situation they are now. They won the first PL.
    To many who had never seen English football, the first season they watched, Man United won it.....so they followed Man United.

If Spurs start to win trophies, you will get more fans, and your existing fans will become more zealous and start buying more Spurs merchandise and your revenue goes up.
    Then you can start paying your players more.

You just need to get that first trophy under your belts and things will kick on from there.

We didnt start getting more fans because Roman bought us, we started getting more fans because we started winning ****, which was obviously helped MAJORLY by Roman's investment, obviously, but you still need to win.
    Look at QPR, they got bought by a billionaire who spent a fortune but they got relegated <laugh> .

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

That's a good depiction of Levy's face this morning when he read Rose's comments <laugh>

5. That was written within the context of a wum. I'm not surprised it flew right over your head, mate.
    <laugh>

I'm not absolutely set against a take-over; my worry would be that we'd end up like Fulham rather than City or Chavs.

Like most Yids, I'm a Romantic at heart, and I am intellectually drawn to the notion of winning things as a result of merit, rather than via laundered State monies.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Football isn't about trophies.

Keep em coming Forrest.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Oh the old, I was on the wum routine.

You are so predictable HIAG <laugh>

8. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

<laugh>

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not going to argue the point with you about Chelsea, as it won't go anywhere, but City's revenue comes from their owners.
    They sponsor their own team and do it on multiple levels, in an attempt to get around the FFP rules.

Hoddle is a god likes this.
  10. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Go... wash in the pool of Siloam.

I do this **** for free, can you believe that?

The Ginger Marks and PINKIE like this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think they even offset something like £150m against a new training facility to circumvent FFP

12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I didn't think stuff like that counted.

13. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Terrible summary. But winning trophies is an outcome of a successful strategy not something you can target in its own right. Arsenal can win the FA Cup because while they have an overpaid, underperforming squad it still has some decent players bought from the revenue they've had from being in the CL. Those wins will look pretty hollow if they get locked out of the top four and start having to make cut backs.

14. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I did wonder how their revenue became higher than ours so quickly, given we have been successful for longer and have won far more.

My point still stands though. The more you win, the more fans you get, and the more money you earn.

15. Come off it! You're not that naïve, Bod.

Chelsea was already in a good position before the Russian gangster bought the soul of your club. It didn't take much to propel you forward, but the billions that Mad Dog pumped in during that first couple of years made the difference.

The idea that you only got successful because you started to win things is utter bollocks, and you know it.

You sold your soul for success.

End of.

Exactly! Another Fulham!

That's the big risk Spurs face in selling to a Sugar Daddy.

16. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Academies and training facility costs are not and never have been, factored into FFP.

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It shouldn't, but I seem to remember a few years ago they 'hid' a huge some of money from FFP, I think it might have gone into a training centre for developing youth or home grown players, or some such bollocks excuse.

I'll have a dig and see if I can find the story later. Too busy wumming you lot atm <whistle>

18. Yes, the lads know that.

I am wumming 99% of the time.

19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It's a rather circular construction, though. You need money to consistently win things in order to get more money.
    We're not in a position to spend more money than we already are, so we have to do things a little differently.
    The alternative leads to Leeds and Portsmouth, unfortunately.

20. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Dont be a dick.

My point was, our revenue shot up because we became successful, not because a bunch of Roman Abramovich fans started supporting our club.
    We became as successful we started winning ****, and we started winning all that **** because of his investment.
    But if he had invested that money, and we had gotten relegated, do you think our turnover would be as high?