1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Manager ?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Candidates - anyone you like ?
    Martin Allen (unattached), did incredibly well with Barnet in the three games he was given - kept them up with impressive wins.

2. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

I would go for Allen, I remember when he took part in a long distance bike ride just to raise some transfer fees for Brentford and that commitment is nice to see. That said he is also quite a fiery manager, would there be a clash of egos/personalities with the two at the head? Other than him I can't really think of too many more managers that are either available or would show interest, not unless you take the usual long shots of Curbishley, Bruce and co.

I would think that these are possibilities: Allen, Robson, Ternent, Peacock, Tilson. That's just an initial brainstorm though.

3. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I thought Allen straight away as he has not signed a contract with Barnet but would continue there but if we get in quick and offer him something I could see him coming our way, Coppell would be good otherwise, but I think it will probably be someone like Liam Daish or Nicky Forster, a non league manager, which in one way no disrespect to them 2 I don't want.

4. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Forster hasn't been in management long enough. Daish is okay but we need someone with a history of promotion.

5. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Given Port Vales financial situation Mickey Adams could be worth a shout

6. The Shouting Man

The Shouting Man Active Member

Liam Daish would be the best 'cheaper' option. He has worked wonders at Ebbsfleet with one of the smallest budgets in the BSP, and I feel deserves a chance at a higher level. Similar sort of management style to our friend Steve Evans...

However, I expect Martin Allen, Mark Robson, Steve Tilson or Sean O'Driscoll to be the front runners.

7. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Please don't give it to Allen! He would only end up leaving a year now the line for a better offer! Give it to someone who wants to be here in the long term!

8. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

a vast range of managers to pick from that are out of work, yet will a high profile one be in the hot seat come july...i say no ! steve bruce, phil brown, billy davies, AVB(joking), nick barmby.

sounds like a young manager that wants to give youth a chance is being touted...maybe someone like lee clark(high profile)???

or will we look at shaun o'driscoll, mark robson, ian hendon, wally downes, micky adams, martin allen(PLEASE NO), peter taylor, nicky forster(to rub dover up the wrong way).

would like to see hess take on a role with gillingham though for sure ! <ok>

9. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't fancy Allen.

Peter Reid is still out of a job isn't he? Although links with Pulis may put him off.

Failing that (tongue firmly in cheek here) I believe that Pepe guy from some club called Barcelona is looking for a breather in football.

10. Spudeh

Spudeh Member

I'd go for broke on Lee Clark. Young manager who was doing great things at Huddersfield untill a few bad results cost him his job. Would be the best long-term option IMO.

What about Paul Ince?

11. Lenny38

Lenny38 Member

Lenny is the bookies favourite.

12. Born Again Gill

Micky Adams or Martin Allen for a good laugh
    I hope Hess takes the board offer and continues his good work of bringing in good players. Suspect he will go to Barnet.

If keith Peacock could be persueded to do a year despite his age ....that would certainly put bums on seats.

13. GFCSTU

GFCSTU Member

Lee Clark, or Mick Adams would be a good call. Allen please no, as for Peacock I think most fans would be ok with but not a long term choice.

UTG!!

14. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

Don't want Martin Allen sorry, too much baggage, Not sure Forster would come back, the receptions he received every time he returned as a player were awful. Don't want Peter Taylor I am great believer in not going back its never as good 2nd time (see A Hessenthaler for details). No point even mentioning anyone who has been anywhere near the premier league, we just cant afford them. O'Driscoll has done OK, Adams would be popular and has done well elsewhere, would like Lee Clark but have a feeling that he will get a good league 1 or lower championship job. How about Matt Lawrence as an outside bet? George Burley is another witha Gills connection, John Still took Dagenham up and if they miss out in the play offs how about Mark Yates from Cheltenham, one of the most organised teams in the league.

15. superbob

superbob Member

You forgot Guardiola...

16. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

Peter Reid is managing the Indian team.

17. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Is he really? I suppose everyone has to pay the bills.

18. brb

brb Guest

Message for Steve Bruce, can you remember this old place...

please log in to view this image

Well we have smartened it up a bit since then, time to come back to us Southern Softies <ok>

Ssh no one mention the scaffolding.

19. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Bruce be out of our budget... ex premiership manager and all?

20. brb

brb Guest

Oh without a doubt. Depends on how big is this ambition of PS ? We talk about big new stadium developments, 18,000 capacity etc. How much money do we have, does anyone really know until the new accounts are published next year?

Mind you apart from probably not being able to afford him, would Bruce want to come down here anyway?

ps. Who would have thought Di Canio at league two Swindon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.