1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I need some help please

Discussion in 'Watford' started by cafc4ever, Jul 29, 2012.

1. cafc4ever

cafc4ever Member

Hi guys

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I am currently writing a preview of the championship season for a web site called False10.com.

Would just like to know how you feel about the coming season?

How do you think your team will do this season?

Which of your players do you think will shine this season?

Which summer signing has excited you most, if any?

What area does your side need strengthening?

Out of ten, how likely is your manager to get the sack?

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Let us just say that at this moment we are in a period of transition.

We do know we have new owners, a new manager and staff, and feel sure that there are players waiting in the wings.

Until certain matters hanging around from the old regime are sorted we are a bit in the dark.

Seeing as you don't have a time limit on your question, all managers get the sack sooner or later, but I don't think that will be much help to your preview.;)

3. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Excited that the new season is getting closer but haven't a clue as to how well we'll do or even who's likely to be in the team on the opening day. Zola is surely likely to want us playing good football so I'd back young Sean Murray, who performed very well at the back end of last season, to shine.

4. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

1) Sad yet optimistic. Sad that Sean Dyche was sacked after such a positive end to last season - a sacking not merited in many fans' eyes. Optimistic that Zola will have us playing a 'less gritty' style of football that will see us more of a force in the division this season.

2) Hard to say given that we don't know who will be in it (or out of it) yet. Having said that, the signs are there that we can expect a higher finish than last season, so top ten at least.

3) Of last season's crop, definitely an older, wiser and stronger Sean Murray will terrorise the Championship, and Piero Mingoia appears to be coming out of the wilderness he was in last season - expect big things from both. From our new intake, Czech Daniel Pudil will hopefully shine at left back - a position that has been a problem for us in the recent past.

4) Zola!! After the takeover, it was almost certain that Dyche would be replaced - sad, but Zola has the charisma needed to attract better players. Whether or not he turns out to be a better manager remains to be seen though.

5) Goalkeeper. Whilst signing Almunia from Arsenal sounds like a bit of coup for a club of our stature, he was more gaffe-prone than Scott Loach, so fingers crossed. Goalscorer - our three main scorers from the last two seasons have all gone (two sold and one in jail) without really being replaced. Four goals in three pre-season fixtures against lesser opposition speaks volumes IMO.

6) Assuming 10 is the highest, 1/10.

5. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

Using BB's numbers:

1. Expectant. I know that Rome wasn't built in a day. I know that we haven't got some big 'ead from Teesside or genius from Scunthorpe who can help us get there faster. And I know that in the long term the Pozzos will be a good thing for us. But nothing less than top ten would vindicate the decision to dismiss Dyche, something I'm still not happy about.

2. Top ten. The playoffs this season would be a lot to ask, but I believe we can start knocking on the door.

3. Sean Murray. Nuff said.

4. None. As we haven't officially signed anyone yet. Even if all the triallists sign, I have only seen Fitz Hall and Manuel Almunia, neither of whom really excite me.

5. Goalkeeper. Jonathan Bond will be an international keeper one day, and Bonham looks a great prospect too, but you can't have teenagers as your only options. Oh, and our two top scorers from last season are in Bolton and prison respectively (which is worse?), so we definitely need at least one striker in.

6. 3/10. If we are on course for the top eight or so then Zola's job is safe. If we're much lower than that, how safe he is depends on whether Duxbury or the Pozzos are making the decision.