1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coincidence? Decide for yourself

Discussion in 'Celtic' started by DevAdvocate, Nov 7, 2013.

1. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Eight police officers needed hospital treatment and more than 15 football fans were arrested after violent clashes before Wednesday's Champions League match between Celtic and Ajax in Amsterdam. A spokesman for Amsterdam police said a large crowd of Celtic supporters turned on a group of plainclothes police officers in Dam Square, the city's historic heart shortly before 6pm local time, about three hours before kick-off in a match won 1-0 by Ajax.

"The officers took quite a beating," said the spokesman Rob van der Veen. "One of the officers was unconscious, another had his nose broken."

Dutch media reported that fans attacked the police with thrown bottles and sticks. The news portal nu.nl reported that fans of the Belgian club Anderlecht and followers of Germany's St Pauli were also in the city. It is thought that fans from other European clubs were involved, although police said they "had kept themselves covered".

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/06/celtic-fans-dutch-police-ajax-amsterdam

2012:
    Football fans of the Dutch giants were detained alongside supporters of Belgian side Anderlecht after they were trying to organise confrontation with travelling English fans. Dutch police arrested 142 fans on Wednesday night in Amsterdam ahead of Manchester United’s Europa League tie with Ajax. Fans of the travelling English side were the target of potential trouble in Amsterdam as supporters of Ajax and Belgian side Anderlecht, who were in the Netherlands ahead of their Europa League tie against AZ Alkmaar, tried to organise hostility. In total, 76 Ajax and 54 Anderlecht fans were detained in the city centre, with another 12 people arrested elsewhere in Amsterdam, all related to potential trouble ahead of the fixture.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2915...est-142-fans-in-amsterdam-ahead-of-manchester

2012:

Twenty-five people have been arrested after fights in the red light area of Amsterdam ahead of a Champions League game between Ajax and Manchester City. Amsterdam Police said trouble broke out at about 17:00 local time (16:00 BST), with arrests made for "public violence" offences. The majority of those arrested are believed to be local. The number of Manchester City fans held is not known.

We will never know what really happened in Amsterdam, even the Tims who were there will have different stories based on differing viewpoints. It's always the same when trouble erupts.

I have no reason to believe that every Celtic fan in the city was an innocent abroad, but speaking personally, If I was threatened by opposition fans even before I arrived in Amsterdam, I would be on a hair trigger and i'd be making sure I got my retaliation in first.

Maybe that's just me but I doubt it.

2. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

I would suggest that is as fair a summation as you'd get.

3. DevAdvocate

The sad fact is that some people already know what happened based upon some video evidence and some reports.

It should have been no surprise to anyone that there was trouble, we've known about the potential since the game at Parkhead, now we are to believe that the same Ajax fans who ripped up seats and threw objects at stewards and others decided not to go to the home game. Nah, they probably watched on TV in case the Celtic fans turned up looking for a ruck, that seems to be their SOP.

4. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Some people....including the media already know what the spin on the story should be.

Tom English has already had to take an embarrassing climb down on something he wrote about it.

I have no qualms over folk being held to account for what happened. But I'd like to know what happened first.

5. DevAdvocate

I'm old fashioned that way too. I prefer to get the whole story - which usually takes time, and even then it's usually a disputed truth- before leaping to judgement.

6. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the cop in you.

Get the facts and present them. They usually speak for themselves.

7. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Given the way Celtic have consistently failed to stand by supporters, the statement released this evening is a pleasant change.

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=4847

Celtic Football Club Statement

By: Newsroom Staff on 07 Nov, 2013 18:07

CELTIC Football Club is currently investigating events in Amsterdam last night (Wednesday).

We have been informed that there are five individuals detained in Holland. We are not clear if they have any formal association with the Club, however, we will be liaising with the local authorities in Amsterdam, our own police and the British Consulate in order to fully understand events. We would stress that there is no excuse for any form of violent conduct.

In addition, we have received numerous complaints from Celtic supporters in relation to their treatment in Amsterdam, which we will also investigate fully.

There is no question that Celtic supporters have been subjected to a high degree of provocation. Last week, our supporters were the target of missiles being thrown from Ajax supporters at Celtic Park, a night where 300 seats were damaged within the stadium.

This was followed up by an organised attack on a group of Celtic supporters in Amsterdam on Tuesday, the night before the match. We have also received numerous individual reports of other attacks on our fans.

The Celtic travelling support has a magnificent reputation across Europe and our fans have visited major European cities over many years without incident. Once again the overwhelming majority of our supporters behaved impeccably.

8. Rustie bugmuncher

Rustie bugmuncher Well-Known Member

there are some absolute bams who follow celtic, like there are bams who follow every team. to try and pretend this is not the case is delusional. however, i agree with Dev and that we should wait until the full story comes out before any judgements are made. I remember the press immediately after "the dundee riot".

why is it that everywhere we have been in the last few years has been trouble free (by and large) yet when they go to amsterdam there is trouble? I would wager the ajax hooligans played a huge part in all this.

the copper that got knocked out, was knocked out when he ran into a lamp post and had been caught on camera kick someone (pud) in the gut. if you play with feathers you are going to get your arse tickled

9. Super hooper

Super hooper New Member

Chuck it appears over the last thirty years the absolute barns that follow Celtic have
    for almost the entire number of trips behaved impeccably and have been an example
    for all clubs near and far . It is far too early to be definitely sure exactly what happened
    last night . It may be a case of orange Bastar.s of a police force doing what we have
    regularly seen that type of police force doing before. The other thing is that maybe
    less than 0.01% of the Celtic fans went to pot , on stuff new to them and got carried
    away . I wonder if the plain clothes policeman in the light coloured jacket , that was
    trying to ensure that the Celtic fan' s partner may have to do without pleasure for
    some time , was the same policeman who knocked himself out by hitting the pole.

10. Rustie bugmuncher

Rustie bugmuncher Well-Known Member

<laugh> mental

11. anportmorbhoy

anportmorbhoy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I would say a lot more bams than usual would be attracted by the prospect of a trip to Amsterdam than many other trips we have had in recent years. They would also be more likely to go nuts when there due to some more liberal laws.

I've no doubts there was provocation (not just from Ajax fans it seems) but unfortunatley a bam (especially a legally high one) is more likely to react in the wrong/more agressive manner.

The police would be likely to be as agressive to any drugged up ned at any time of the year - not just when Celtic come to visit. The neds would also be likely to react in the same manner to that had they not been visiting to watch Celtic also.

So my thoughts are...there is probably blame on both sides here.

I do believe had the policing been more relaxed - as it is in most cities where large numbers of Celtic fans travel then this probably wouldnt have happened though -as their actions encouraged out of it neds to hit back. You would think from the reports above that Dev posted the police may have learned to take a step back and let them get on with it if not actually causing trouble

Police lined up in riot gear in front of any crowd is inviting 1 numpty to step out of line and it all get out of hand

12. Girvan Loyal 1690

Girvan Loyal 1690 Nobody's safe now

<laugh> you COULDN'T MAKE THIS THREAD UP!!!!!!!!

<rofl>

13. The Raging Oxter

The Raging Oxter Well-Known Member

Leave hooper alone ya barn!

14. Girvan Loyal 1690

please log in to view this image

15. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You have to hand it to the Ajax fans - travelling to Glasgow to attack Celtic fans on a night when there wasn't even a match shows a particularly high level of dedication <whistle>.

Anyone who has been to see their club or country overseas can probably identify with much of the original post and I can'ty imagine events in Amsterdam were signifcantly different to scores of incidents over the years (and actually it was pretty low level compared to some). The point is that supporters of other clubs still like to pick up on it and use it for mischievous point scoring purposes.

16. DevAdvocate

No opinion? No comment?

You don't have a brain cell in your head do you?

Your idea of debate is the same tired responses and a series of smileys.

17. Tina.

Tina. Well-Known Member

He's waiting for edge to come back.

He's his ying to his yang <laugh>

18. DevAdvocate

He completes him. Like spasticated Co-Joined twins.

19. Girvan Loyal 1690

how can I argue with a guy who's blaming anderlecht fans ffs <laugh>

20. Mick

Mick Probably won't answer PMs
    Staff Member

The atmosphere was different in Amsterdam to normal away games. There were rumours of Ajax ultras being out in the city to cause trouble - I had my da on the phone after the bar invasion on Tuesday night telling me to look after myself, there were rumours of Ajax ultras running around the streets punching ****s and stealing flags (and there were a few upside down tricolours in the Ajax end during the game). It was pishing with rain which was dulling the mood and there was a disproportionate amount of neds in the Celtic crowd as well (walking about the streets with carryouts instead of drinking in bars, Buckfast etc). So aye everyone was really on edge, and even I was preparing myself for a fight that I really didn't want.

I was in Dam square in a wee side pub when it kicked off - I didn't see who started it but I did see a few minutes of trouble where a few dozen Celtic fans were getting involved. As soon as it started the square just emptied, I mean within minutes all of us just were down the alleys and away from it. The cops had the sirens and riot horses running against the tide of Celtic fans emptying from the square, but I doubt they got much of a fight when they got there as the mass of the crowd wasn't interested (and it would be all over youtube if they were).

So aye, we've some responsibility to take with the higher than normal ned element, and I was a bit displeased at the state of Dam square (you heard a bottle smash every other minute because they had no bins and all the carryout ****s were just leaving their rubbish everywhere) but with the amount of tension in the city with all the rumours I was surprised that Dam square was the only major incident.