1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match thread: Watford - Huddersfield Town

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Aug 28, 2014.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Watford - Huddersfield Town

Watford play their third match in Watford in one week, hoping to match the first match and not the second. This match will also be the third against teams from Yorkshire. The hosts will also try to avenge Huddersfields last visit to Vicarage Road which ended as a 1:4 win for the visitors.

Watford

The hosts have lost Mathias Ranégie on loan to Millwall and Cristian Battochio to Virtus Entella in Italy on loan deals. The really big plus is Troy Deeney has signed a contract to stay with the Hornets for four years. Watfords only injury problem remain as Craig Cathcart.
    Joel Ekstrand has finished his suspension for being dismissed at Norwich but may not get into the team if Beppe Saninno returns to the team that beat Leeds United.

Huddersfield Town

Our visitors have suffered a poor start to the season. They have dismissed their manager and lost in the League Cup to Nottingham Forest and are seated just above the relegation positions even at this early stage of the season.
    Mark Willis has Nakhi Wells, Radoslaw Majewski and former Hornet Jonathan Hogg available again after they all have recovered from injuries. Lee Peltier and Tommy Sith are both longer tern injuries and will not play.

History

Watford and Huddesfield have met only eleven times at Vicarage Road with four wins each and three drawn matches. Huddersfields best performance was their win last season of 1:4 and that followed Watfords best, a 4:0 win the season before. The two clubs had not met before 1969 and have never encountered in cup matches.
    Mike Keen had his last game as Watford manager against Huddersfield Town in a match when the Hornets won 2:0 with two Keith Mercer goals and also had Alan Mayes and Tony Geidmintis sent off.

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks for this ak. It should be a comfortable win for Watford I hope. I will not be able to listen as my grand daughter demands my presence for her 11th Birthday. I doubt that too many of the Tuesday team will be starting the game.

3. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Nice one AK, 5*'s from me. This is a "should win, must win" game for us. We need to get back n track and put the crap from Tuesday night behind us - we have to put out the same team (injuries permitting" as last Saturday.

4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Thanks AK!

After last season's debacle v Huddersfield I hope we lay that one to rest.

6. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

... and then some!

7. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

I hope the players are as motivated as Sannino seems to be - very keen to make up for the performance on Tuesday and result against Huddersfield the other day.

8. Mexican Hornet

Taken from this article.

Deeney will take to the field tomorrow against Huddersfield Town looking to equal Tommy Mooney on 63 goals for the Hornets. He is one short of the former Watford striker and admits he is looking forward to equalling and then surpassing that total. Deeney described Mooney as "a legend to me" after the pair played together at Walsall and they remain good friends. He said: “He (Mooney) has been top-drawer to be fair; he keeps telling me he used to play at the back and that he was defending for a few games. But I’ve not seen him play right-wing for a hundred games, so we’ve both got arguments as to why we haven’t scored as much as we wanted to.” He continued: “If I can go and score 20 goals again this season, then I think I become the first player to do that in three consecutive seasons. So if I do make it that’s a bit of legendary status, shall we say. “I won’t say that it would never happen again – but it might take a long, long time and I could be etched in the record books.”

Who would you take Mooney or Deeney at their peak?

9. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Well Tommy could play in a number of roles as pointed out by Troy himself.

Deeney might be the better player ability wise.

10. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

The good news about this game (other than Deeney's reception) is that it can't be any worse than that game a few months ago against Huddersfield. I think the game will actually be a complete reverse of that match, a 4-1 win with Troy scoring of course :)

11. Mexican Hornet

We'll win 3-1, sorry H that score is taken! :smiley-finger007:

12. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

assuming no penalty sending off or a sliced clearance id go 3 nil troy 1 hoban 1 and anya lol

13. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

brian, that's a big call re Hoban scoring. If Ekstrand comes straight back into the starting line-up, he will probably be the one to miss out.

14. yorkshirehornet

i think yes that TD has more ability. perhaps TM had just a tad more drive... but marginal. i would go for TD on balance... but they they are both Legends....

i would also bet on TD scoring today....

15. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks for another top draw thread Ak. This hopefully will lay to rest the demons from the same fixture last season and Tuesdays diabolical display and i'm going to pretend I didn't see the post from Mexico and go with 3-1 lol. A hattrick from deeney would be nice!

16. hornetal

hornetal New Member

Live at the game, sure I just saw Hornette through a crowd of people ;)

Come on you Golden Boys

17. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

For those who don't already know....

Gomes: Tamas, Ekstrand, Angella; Anya, Munari, Tozser, Abdi, Pudil; Forestieri, Deeney.

subs: Bond; Andrews, Paredes, Vydra, Dyer, Ighalo, Hoban.

No real surprises then. Dyer still serving his punishment?

18. Golden Gordon

Golden Gordon Well-Known Member

1-0 Deeney 17 mins.
    You 'Ornns!!!!

19. yorkshirehornet

cmon watford... !!

i hear colin is slagging off to the ref up at newcastle... back to his old ways!

20. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

I am not making modifications as I have to collect Little Ak from activities she is making and will not be here for the second half.