1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Curry...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Kempton, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

We know.

We don't live in India. Or China.

We don't think we're getting owt authentic. Although if you go to the right places it's like the stuff from those countries.

We're getting a flavour. We're getting spice. No need to be all snobby about it.

2. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Oh. Indian curries in Nepal? Malaysia?

Lol

Btw. A lot if those countries dishes are based on ones from others.

Sir Cheshire Ben likes this.
  3. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

How can you have a proper indian curry in Cambodia? How is that different than an ex pat of India/Bangladesh/Pakistan cooking one here?

Fez likes this.
  4. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

Is Rays Place still open? Get pissed up, grab a 4 pack from jacksons- from then on, say your prayers & choose wisely from the menu

5. swftiger

swftiger Well-Known Member

Ordered a biryani in Bangkok and waited and waited and waited for the vegetable curry. Needed a separate order . Doh.
    Same in Laos.

6. Jammos

Jammos Member

Lamb Tikka Rogan Josh for me, but I'll take almost anything. Love the stuff.

Poppadoms with mango chutney are a must. As is Keema Naan and Kingfisher.

My regular is Tandoor Mahal on Holderness road. Can't say its the best but we have been visiting for years when we come back to Hull

7. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It's like traditional English Fayre from the George and Dragon in Benidorm <laugh><laugh>

8. HFFP

HFFP Well-Known Member

Stephen Curry, the best shooter in NBA.

9. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I get to deal with a lot of Asian people in my line of work. I have as a result been to some tremendous curry houses.

There's a place on the outskirts of London that I went to with some customers (It's a really well known curry house as it caters for a lot of the super wealthy Asian weddings in and around the UK) I can't remember the name which is annoying. But they were ordering some red hot dishes and they were astonished that I had such an asbestos palette.

10. swftiger

swftiger Well-Known Member

Angkor Wat Tandoori in Siem Reap?

11. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Introduction to curry was as a kid when dad brought a tin box of curry powder from the docks and sprinkled it on the roast beef with a knife. Horrible!
    Never touched it again for nearly 20 years until a London girlfriend took me to one in the West End where I had chicken vindaloo and chips.
    Been a fan of curry since, fish,lamb, beef or chicken and the hotter the better. Very difficult to find/make a good fish curry here in Aus.

Wife does a mean chicken vindaloo supplemented with brown rice and 3 vegetable side dishes plus poppadoms(no chips) which we have once a week in periods throughout the year.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Chazz Rheinhold and Kempton like this.
  12. Bengals Tiger

Bengals Tiger Well-Known Member

Instead of sex?

13. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

A large percentage of the population in those countries are Indian. They cook the food to suit their palates not British palates. They don't use curry powder ;)

I didn't just go on a one week holiday.

14. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

Indian cuisine is my favourite. What we get here is mostly Bangladeshi and adapted for the British palate but can still be excellent. I make Indian food at home when I have the time, lots of the dishes take hours to make and need forward planning for marinades, etc.

My go-to book is The Curry Bible. It has all the restaurant staples plus lots of others. For each dish there are recipes for cooking in two ways: how they do it in the restaurants (usually starting from a base sauce and adding herbs/spices) and how it is made from scratch. My best ever home made Indian was a mistake. I misread the recipe for a Duck Tindaloo, adding 3 tablespoons of chili powder instead of 3 teaspoons. It was already written up as "hotter than a Phall" in with 3 teaspoons. The result blew our heads off but it was totally brilliant.

15. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

I once ordered a phall at some place in London - called the something garden - and all the kitchen staff came out to watch me eat it and gave me a round of applause as I finished.

GLP and The greengrocer like this.
  16. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Who uses curry powder?!? I never have even at home.

17. Mr G. Raff

Mr G. Raff Active Member

Bollox to Indian curries, I make a mean Thai green curry from scratch and we have it with either chicken or prawns - it's effin scrummy I can tell you <cheers>

18. tigers 2008

tigers 2008 Well-Known Member

Never ever had a curry, they smell foul to me, the nearest I've come is Mulligatawnay soup and that was pretty dire.

19. BrisbaneTiger

BrisbaneTiger Well-Known Member

I was quite surprised to find out that many 'Indian Curries' were actually created (if thats the right word) in the UK. Apparently Chicken Tikka Masala was created in Glasgow in the 70s. As has been said already, the dishes in the UK probably aren't authentic Indian, but tailored to suit the UK market, but then i guess that is the case with most foods around the world.

Funniest thing i heard in a restaurant in Bedford, was the waiter carrying a plate out, shouting "who ordered the arse burner?" <laugh>

GLP likes this.
  20. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

You use fresh ingredients that have been picked/dug up that morning?