1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

In support of Dr Allam.

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by tigers 2008, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

He is on the electoral register as Dr. Assem Allam. Dr is his title and has always been there.

2. jayc89

jayc89 Well-Known Member

Personally I have nothing against change, if its for a reason.

If AA came out and said "We need to change our name as it will raise £xyz million" then fine, he's the successful business man, I'm the one still saving for a mortgage!

However he's gone about the name change entirely wrong and has given no sound reasoning behind it which has led to too much supposition.

Until I hear solid reasoning why a name change would be beneficial to the club and not just the owner I will be against it, however that wont stop me supporting my team.

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

No, I don't. I genuinely can't work out why he's doing it. If it is, as people suggest, a spat against the Council, I can't work out why the Council would give a ****.

4. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Really? Even before he bought (cough).... sorry was awarded a phoney doctorate? In that case he's even more deluded and ego driven than I thought!

5. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Agreed. ^^^^

6. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

Yes, but the names always been HCAFC, even if you never said it. That makes no difference.

It's the only constant thing in our whole 109 year history- and you want to give it away on a whim.

Suit yourself.

7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm obviously grateful to AA to for saving the club and for the subsequent investment his made in the squad, but I really wish he'd stop acting like a complete prat.

This name change has nothing to do with increasing revenue(it's more likely to reduce it), it's being driven by a hatred of Hull City Council and that's a ridiculous reason to bin a 109 year old historic name.

And nobody normally calls themselves Dr after receiving an honorary doctorate, it's weird.

8. ToxicPond

ToxicPond Member

I have just sent the following e-mail to [email protected]

Dear Mr Allam

I have no intention of cancelling my existing season pass for Hull City AFC and wil continue to support the team no matter what.

I would however like to state that I am totally against any attempt to change the clubs playing name from Hull City AFC as registered with the Football Association and reference FA rule A3L.

Many thanks

Maybe if all pass holders sent a similar e-mail stating either for or against any change to the registered playing name, He would have his referendum whether he likes it or not. I am sure there is a majority against it.

9. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

I think it's actually the casus belli and that he's put as much thought/research into its effect as he has into his claimed 'investment potential' of it.

He's done it cos he's the Boss. And cos he can. Unfortunately for him, not everybody believes that.

10. DOGSBODY

DOGSBODY Member

To a "no hoper" like you , I would have thought my opinion was obvious.

Oh ! I forgot. You're supposed to shout your opinions out loud on here so as to drown out the others, with an alternative view.
    My opinions are my own property, same as yours should be. May be then, there'll be less acrimony on this forum

11. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm at a loss as to understand why anyone would come on a forum and just whine about the mods and other posters, why not try posting on the topics, it works for most people?

12. DOGSBODY

DOGSBODY Member

You need to remember ,Larko there are more prats who use this forum for "bad mouthing" people than you realise,
    Alternative views CANNOT nor WILL NOT be accepted.

13. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

I think you'll find there's plenty of people who'll consider your opinion. That's if you offer something to the debate other than "Allam can do what he wants".

Unfortunately, I've not seen anything from the YesToHullTigers group, other than this.

What we don't want is a troll whose just turned up to talk ****e.

14. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

I feel that you're seriously scraping the barrel if you consider what Golaccio! said to be 'bad mouthing', it was, after all, his post that you quoted. Could you just point out to me where he was 'bad mouthing' anyone in that post as I appear to have missed.

I suspect that you are an attention seeking troll, but then I also suspect that you'll cling onto that as being 'bad mouthed'!

15. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Spot on.

If they offer something worth debating then I think they'll find most people on here are willing to listen to them.

16. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

Well state your alternative view then , lets hear what you have to say , over to you , why is changing the name after 109 years a good idea ?

17. x

x Well-Known Member

really????? i think not. i can't agree with that at all. my parents went in the carter era and called the team city.

18. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

Picking up on this comment, my father was the same. He always referred to the team as The Tigers, never City. Like larko my memories are that referring to them as City has grown in recent times. I don't have the longevity of the previous posters but next year will mark the 50th anniversary of when I first went to watch them.

I am very ambivalent about this whole naming debate. On the one hand I can't see the point in changing the name commercially and it does damage over 100 years of tradition. On the other its not going to affect my support for the team I have followed since I was a knee biter.

In other businesses there are some great examples of companies changing their names that has lead to commercial success. For example Seikikōgaku kenkyūsho Precision Optical Industry Co. Ltd. (Canon) and Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering Corporation (Sony). In these Dr Allam is spot on: shortening the name has created a brand that people identify with. Pepsi, Google, Amazon and many other did likewise

I can't think of one good example of it happening in sport though (although Manchester United and Manchester City are probably stronger names than Newton Heath or Ardwick).

If Dr Allam wasn't locally based I would strongly suspect his motives. As it is, he has done enough good work around the city that I believe he is genuinely doing this because he thinks it benefits the club. And that by benefiting the club he profits and we get a quality team to support.

19. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

Football isn't like any other business though , as you acknowledge at the end Oregon Tiger

And surely you agree he has gone about this in the wrong way ?

20. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Very well put tigers 2008.
    Some people are determined to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs even though any name change is only a temporary thing that can be reversed when a new owner takes over.
    The priority for most of us is for the good times to continue as long as possible. The biggest threat to that isn't on the field, it's from those who would hound out an ambitious owner who has already demonstrated his commitment to achieving success.