1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Sorry to be negative but don't let your credit card out of your sight. Friend of mine had a meal in Budapest, paid with a CC and on the five minute walk back to his hotel, his bank phoned to see if he was in Australia, where someone was presenting his card in a shop! I know it could happen anywhere but it happened to him in Budapest so I feel duty bound to mention it.

He loved Budapest, BTW.

Vin

2. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Cheers Vin, I'm super careful with cards and money and haven't been ripped off yet but your tip is filed away. I often use cash when travelling just so that I know exactly what's happening, plus I have a shielded wallet so that nobody can get naughty with contactless payments.

3. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Had a laugh yesterday while coming back from Lake Salagou in Southern France. On a certain section of a particular road coming away from the lake, people had been arranging stones into names, messages and mottos within the luner looking red soil. These messages stretched for a couple of miles or so. It was quite uplifting. One of our, let's say, more puritanical or prudish friends, decided that the number of ZOBs, that were appearing in the soil, was worthy of honouring. In fact, we were beginning to see ZOBs everywhere. On farmhouse walls, on vineyard signs, you name it. Eventually, suspicion of ZOB began to grow. So Yours Truly was assigned the task of finding out what ZOB meant, as I was the only one with an available network (thank you 3).
    It was then that I burst out laughing. Because ZOB means COCK ! (and that's not a male chicken)

San Tejón likes this.
  4. SaintsCookie

SaintsCookie Active Member

I'd definitely recommend going to the baths, very good view from the top of the Basilica too

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

As soon as I saw the word I knew what it meant. I'll never forget "mange mon zob" as a rather rude expression :)

TheSecondStain likes this.
  6. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Did you stop using it after that?

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

8. TheSecondStain

Despatches from Southern France...
    For our final whole day before returning late tomorrow, we went to a little restaurant called Les Platanes, in a little village called Poihès, just outside Beziers, through which the old Canal du Midi flows. We went there because the housebook thoroughly recommended it (and not because Rick Stein and his film crew ate there back when he did his series on the Canal).
    The place was as French as French can get. It was tiny, a bit run down, yet still welcoming. Plenty would turn their noses up on sight, but they would be missing a rare treat.
    Safe to say that the food was excellent, but what first knocked me back was the accent from the female of this husband and wife team. Pure Auckland Kiwi. So, inevitably, the question was asked, what brought her to France. In typical Kiwi response, she said, a plane! Then the French sounding husband dropped his accent and spoke in a half Hampshire, half Kiwi accent himself. I let slip to them that I'd lived in Gore, NZ but came from Southampton, UK. They let out a laugh. He had worked for an NZ TV company, which had made a documentary on the the brown trout capital of the southern hemisphere, but he was born and raised in Millbrook, Southampton.
    It's not a small world, it's a bloody tiny one!
    Oh, and the restaurant is recommended.

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

I might possibly be, waiting to hear on whether I have an away ticket or not...

When does news normally come out, 4/5 weeks before?

10. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I'm sure i've mentioned on here but I have been ill for about 3 weeks - on antibiotics as can not shift a cough (sick every day with blood etc). Had to beg for antibiotics and my doctors just really don't have time to check me out properly "you are only 48 you are still young and fit"... (that is a different rant as on principle I will not go private).

Just now I did something I wish I had done ages ago. I Just spent 1 hour in the dark outside in a hot tub set to 40 degrees (104 fahrenheit). Wow I feel better!!! Recommend it to anyone feeling bunged up :)

...Do you think the NHS will offer it soon? ;)

TheSecondStain likes this.

11. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Glad you're feeling better No 7. Hope it clears up soon.

Always makes me laugh, listening to those radio ads about "if you've had a cough for more than 3 weeks, go and see your GP, as it may be symptomatic of something more serious ....."
    IF you can see your GP within a couple of weeks and IF you can get past the receptionist who seems intent on stopping you making an appointment, the locum GP (I couldn't see mine as she only works 3 days a week and is totally booked up) listens to your chest and says "it's probably a virus. If it's not better in 2 weeks or so, come back and see me ....."
    Yes - we do need more money for the NHS, but it needs to go to the right areas .....

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  12. thereisonlyoneno7

The problem with my local surgery is it is right next to Bournemouth University so all the students join up too. I'm think ing of moving surgery (even though this one is a 1 min drive and a 5 min walk), just so I can get seen in time. They keep encouraging more and more people to sign up but haven't got the doctors to cope. Maybe they should just say no to new patients rather than take the ££££ for signing them up.

13. TheSecondStain

Cheers from France...
    In the 16 or so years I've been back in Southampton I've never got around to registering at my local surgery. Just slipped my mind or I haven't had the time. Thankfully, I haven't needed to go anywhere near one.
    Must get round to it though. :)

14. fran-MLs little camera

I'd never go to a doctor with a cold, but am amazed that people do.....not talking about bronchitis or chest infections, but simple colds. Can understand why receptionists are on guard as many patients could self medicate or ask a pharmacist. I am lucky as I am registered with a practice that can sometimes see you that day or usually the next. I keep that quiet here....don't want too many people registering there.:bandit:

15. thereisonlyoneno7

Yep I agree - I never go to a doctor unless I have to.

I had to be forced to go to the doctor by my other half after having a cough and temperature for just over a week. The doctor just said yep your ill, take paracetamol and some cough medicine. She also said your blood pressure is high, but that could be down to being ill. Oh and coughing blood is sometimes normal. A week later got worse and I all I could get was a telephone appointment to force them to give me antibiotics. So three weeks later still coughing blood, still got a mild temperature, but no doctors can see me. I think it is something more sinister (you just know if you get what i mean), but the doctors are too busy to see me. The receptionists are like a brick wall, though I am ok on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as the receptionist is new and someone I went to school with 30 years ago, so she is a bit more understanding.

16. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Same here - but my example was the last time I went, which was about 2 years ago. Similar symptoms to you, No 7, except I started almost whooping when I coughed and couldn't breathe. So I went to the GP and was told not to worry too much. However, about a week later, I started coughing blood (turned out I'd broken some capillaries in the back of my throat from the coughing) and got very worried. So I called the practice and told them I was coughing blood - I was seen that afternoon and sent to the chest clinic in Winchester. Had an X-ray and a good going over there and was told that I had a virus, but was slightly asthmatic and given an inhaler. Also told to go straight back there if it didn't get better. It did, so I haven't (touch wood) had to go. I've now moved so it'll be interesting to see if this new practice in Romsey is better ....

By the way, if it's a virus, antibiotics won't do anything, but you ought to kick up a stink and tell them you've been coughing blood - the GP I saw said they must treat that with urgency. Good luck!

17. fran-MLs little camera

I think you should keep your eye on it if it doesn't clear up, but don't panic too much....a prolonged cough can cause damage and bleeding for a while...as Dave said.

18. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I'm another of the "won't go to the doctor unless forced" brigade.
    Many years ago I noticed a rather large "spot" on my right buttock, which I steadfastly ignored.
    Over the weeks it grew until it started to affect how I walked and was the size of an upturned saucer.
    My wife nagged me to do something about it, finally getting through to me on a Sunday morning.
    With no GP surgery working the weekend, I presented myself at the A&E. After a quick look the doctor diagnosed an abscess and tried to "squeeze" it to remove some of the contents, but couldn't.
    After a while, and after being left alone for a while, he returned and asked if I could get to the South Hants, to which I replied "No problem, when?"
    It was only when he said "Now" that I started to become really concerned.
    End result was that it was "drained" within a few hours of getting there, with an explanation of the potential dangers (spread to the brain/spinal cord, blood poisoning, sepsis) that can occur if not treated within good time.

So, although not wanting to waste a GP's time, with minor ailments, I am not as stoic, with regards to illness, as I once was.

davecg69 and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  19. fran-MLs little camera

20. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Toby's eye has flared up again , not to bad , but still means 2 lots of drops a day for 1 week .

Flipping pets :headbang::headbang::headbang: