1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Manager Thread...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by BrAdY, May 14, 2017.

1. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Been there seen that, and by **** is it big.

GlassHalfHull likes this.
  2. shgleb94

shgleb94 Member

Hello to all Hull City supporters. As it turns out, the interview which I post yesterday was the first part as the full interview is very big and will be published by three parts. So, here is the second part (original link): http://www.sport-express.ru/footbal...-i-chto-esche-delal-v-anglii-chast-2-1268062/

Also as second part is too big I didn't translate some answers about Russian League, Russian media, comedian, the structure of language school and some other things.

Part II.
    please log in to view this image

-Did you decide where to live in Hull? Will you rent a flat, or hotel room or maybe you'll live on club's base?
    -For sure it won't be last variant. Their club bases unlike in Russia are not designed to live there. House or flat it doesn't matter.

-Which steps have you taken in that direction?
    -Pff. As for now I did nothing yet.

-Were you only one time at Kingston upon Hull?
    -Yes.

-Describe this place.
    -Actually I didn't see it properly, including base. Because I was coming to negotiations and was I on the base it could soon be public knowledge. I was coming to Allams' company office, it's outskirts of city. However, I read many times about this place. I know some main things: that it's the city of fishermen, that last year it was chosen as cultural capital of England, that there don't like green colour. But I'll have time to get to know it.

-Sorry, why there they don't like green colour?

-Sailors believe that it's bad luck.

-So, you won't wear green?
    -Yes.

-How you rate Championship's level compared to RFPL? Igor Rabiner in column dedicated to your appiontment, based on your talk with him in May in London wrote that in your opinion, Championship's speed is almost higher than in Russia.
    -It's a decent league, I don't want to compare it to our Premier League. Average budget of a club which doesn't have financial parachute - about 45m.
    How you can judge about the power of tournament? By indirect rate such as budget, salary, infrastructure, fields' quality, number of players called to national teams, number of foreign managers, average attendance, money... In Championship it's all at the very high level. How I read in England, if we put it together it's 4th league in the world - after BPL, La Liga and Bundesliga.

-Even higher than Italy?!
    -Yes. However, Juventus might now laughing. Of course, it's in-england research which can be subjective. But it's really serious enough league with good infrastructure and high-level players. I'll repeat: I don't compare levels and don't say "below" or "higher". But let's assume Sigurdsson, who was the key player in Krasnodar and is the key player in Island, in Fulham most of season not only wasn't playing, but even wasn't in team's squad. It's just an example. It was possible that simply "not his" team or there just a lot of central defenders in it. But league's level is serious enough. I was much easier to watch exactly Fulham as I lived not far from it's stadium so I was learning Championship exactly by games with this team. And in it's game squad was playing six players of national teams!

-Meanwhile, the team was 6th in Championship and didn't promote.
    -But by rate it was favorite of play-off. So, teams are strong, level is high, audience rating is high, and it's actively highlighted in media. As I was said, Hull's average audience in two seasons in Championship with new owners was 16000-18000.

-It's higher than in RFPL (about 11000) and higher than CSKA (15000).
    -I don't compare, just tell the numbers. And I say that interest to the league is serious enough. Earlier it was purely English, classic league, for "domestic usage". It becomes global. Last season there worked seven foreign managers.

-Don't you aware of too high pressure of British media? In my journalist's view it's much more agressive, angry and strict than Russian.
    -I can't understand until I start. When I was learning English, I mainly read press, translate columns, always see BBC, MOTD - and didn't see something special. British media exactly more powerful than ours. It really can form it's own opinion on manager and even make club to do some desicions. It's impact it tries to use sometimes. But I can't say that it's more agressive, angry or strict.

-When first information about your appointment appeared, some British fans started to laugh at your surname. Did it get you?

-I'm ready to it.

-Did you get the joke?
    -(Laughing) Of course. I've been asked this question many times. And what's funny: surnames Arshavin and Jirkov also was laughed. But what can you do? It's not a big deal.

-Rabiner wrote that going from CSKA you were unpleasantly surprised and even shocked by fans' attitude to you and to Ignashevich and Berezutskiys, when fans posted a banner saying it's time to give the road to youngsters.
    -Not exactly like that. What's always happening in ours? We always hear the man who screams, not who's silent. In group from 1000 men 950 can treat you respectfully, and only 50 hates you and chants mean things. But you automatically think that's all group is against you, but it's not like that. Because if look positively and look how many thanks we get in social networks, numbers are not comparable. I'm sure that for 95% fans of CSKA Ignashevich and Berezutskiys - idols. But unfortunately well-organized group heard easier.
    So I think you shouldn't pay attention to these things and think that it's everyone's opinion.
    Of course, there're some unpleasant things, and I hardly can imagine such like a banner dedicated to Terry. But you can't judge by such a little group of people. Let's take my social Jewish center advertisement. As I knew after it, only little group, about 20 men, in fanbase reacted to it.

-Don't you think that your participation in this ad is a mistake?
    -No. What would be a mistake if you talk about social centre? What's the difference - is it Jewish, Russian or, I don't know, Muslim? It's like to think that's my charity, which I do for years, is a mistake because foundation to which I send money, helpes not to children but to other people. It was social ad, which helped development of social centre. How can I regret about it? What's the point in adapting to people with ultra-right views, anti-semits, racists and other? What's the point?

-In interview to British media you said about yourself: "I'm new Abramovich's project". Can you explain this phrase, which spread all over Russia?
    -Inteviews in England and Russia are different. When journalists see that we sit in one lodge, they ask about Roman Arkadievich every time. Why does he help me, why? And doesn't give an interviews. For them he is very interesting person, most successful owner in last 15 years. So every man who linked with him will be asked about him. So I always said that Roman Arkadievich help Russian football because it's true. We remember 2008's national team, football fields, football academy in Toliatty. As for now Roman Arkadievich doesn't have a project in Russian football and I'm only one connection between them and Abramovich. That's why.
    I really got much help. I lived in Chelsea's hotel, was at a lot of games, Chelsea was giving me tickets, I learned English by their reccomendation in school where not easy to enter. That's all! Roman Arkadievich doesn't phone every owner to ask whether they going to hire me. But what he has done is more than enough and I'm very appreciate him.

-Can there be help from Chelsea in the form of loans? They have about 40 players loaned.

-And in Chelsea some players can't enter the squad, so Chelsea can share them.
    -It's not so easy. Players, which can strength Hull, also are targets of Premier League clubs. And too young players who can play at level below, we don't want to buy. Of course it's possible that some of Chelsea players can be loaned to us. In Fulham this season were two players, loaned from Chelsea - defender Tomas Kalas and midfielder Piason. And in Huddersfield which promoted to BPL were playing Kasey Palmer and Isaiah Brown. It's normal practice and I think that it's possible in our case. But there also can be other players.

-When you first met with Abramovich?
    -Long time ago.

-Were you at CSKA in that moment?
    -No, I was still working at, maybe, Samara.

-And how you met them?
    -By common friends.

-Is it true that in last years, working at CSKA, you actively talked with him, and Abramovich even discussed some players for Chelsea with you?
    -We never talked too actively. He is very busy and I had my own work. But if consultations were needed... It's not the right word - rather questions linked with Russia. But it was rarely. For example if CSKA played against team which Chelsea wanted a player from, so it was normal to call me and know my opinion, however club has it's own opinion. There's nothing wrong with it.

-You said that Abramovich is the most succesful owner in England. Did you understand what's his secret? What's his most strong side?
    -He's systematic. He can reach result in very different circumstances. And when Chelsea was the most rich club and now, when it's not. Turns out he can work effectively in every conditions. Actually, as Giner. He was succesful when CSKA was the richest club in Russia and now, when CSKA is far from being the richest.

-Tell about your lessons in language school.
    -It's very old school. It was founded by Richard Lewis. He's 86 years old. He's unic man who knows 12 languages. He still reads lectures about multicultural relations - his main specialization. He released a lot of books, he's well-known also in Russia. He in details told me about Moscow Dinamo's tour in England in 1945, how Karcev scored to Chelsea twice - I was struck by it! Man remebers all, knows all!
    By the way, I can boast. Mr. Lewis being old doesn't give lessons. And I happen to take lessons from him after first week. It's like in good youth academy Mourinho becomes your coach. So the education was wery pleasant and in the same time wery responsible. I didn't want to look like idiot in front of them. So I had to prepare hard.

-Where education was passing?
    -In Riversdown. School's biggest advantage was that they make special program for you.

-Please clarify.
    -For example I don't need to write, I don't need to know "computer English" or "socialized language". So I had three lessons: football English, talking English and grammar. That's all. And every lesson there's different tutor.

-How many hours a day was you studying?
    -8. And you have breakfast, dinner and supper with other students - so you talk in English about 11 hours a day. Lesson - one on one with teacher. I was there for 7 weeks. School has basic living conditions, XIV century buildings, in rooms there's no TV as you don't need it. In the other hand - very beautiful nature. Every day I was going to play golf with teacher for 45 minutes.
    I can't say that my English is something incredible, but I made huge step comparing to me in January. And I couldn't learn it like that if continued working.

-Did you win you teacher in golf?
    -Winning your teacher in golf is like new chess player wins Kasparov.

-What was the most difficult in education?
    -All the things. First it was difficult to learn tences. Present Perfect and Past Perfect. We don't have such tences in Russian while you always translate sentences from Russian to English in your head. So I had to think different.

-What else?
    -"If" constructions. And now it's verbal verbs - it's impossible.

-Do you continue to learn English by yourself?
    -When I was in London, not in Riversdown, every day teacher was coming to me and we studied one on one for 3 hours. I gave some interviews in England and no one asked me about my English level. So they think that it's enough to work with team. However I'm not satisfied with my level. I'll improve it. Because I should lead all the training process in English, control all the things. For me communication is almost 90% of work success.

-Challenge?
    -Yes. By the way, I liked how I used some jokes in interviews. They joke different while I translate from Russian to English.

-Tell English joke which you remember?
    -It's not much, they all are very specific.

-For example?
    -Man's sitting in restaurant. Waiter comes and asks: "Finish?" And man asnwers: "No Finnish! Swedish!"

-Funny.
    -It's like classical English humor.

-How many games you saw from stadium?
    -About 50 games. Even in the League 1.

-Which game impressed you most?

-In emotional plan: Liverpool - Chelsea because it was my first time at Anfield. And by the quality of football I adore to go to White Heart Lane - Tottenham played a lot of games superquality. There also was exciting game Chelsea - Arsenal with crazy Hazard's goal. At Chelsea's, Tottenham's and Fulham's stadiums I was more often than in the others, beacuse it was locationally more comfortable.

-Musa post the photo with you. How did you talk?
    -We always talk and saw each other sometimes. I can't remember what we talk about exactly that day.

-Are you disappointed that Ahmed still not plays as he can in Leicester? What's the reason for you?
    -It's hard to judge. You know, Musa is not such type of player who can successfully play in any situations and in any team. You can't just put him in squad and tell "do what you can do". Wagner Love was so, but Musa's not. He's very addicted player. It should be carefully inlined in team. But it's clear that manager dictates the terms. It seems that in Leicester decided that it's easier to bet on other players. Maybe I exaggerate - and he was given tasks but game was not adjusted to him. But I'm sure that Musa can do this.

-What acquaintance was the most memorable during these football watchings?
    -Was a funny moment when I suddenly met Fergusson on Manchester United - Chelsea. Well-known the history when he didn't recognise me in 2009 on Old Trafford. I asked: "So, now will you recognise?" He said: "Of course" and started asking what's going on.
    There was many interesting meetings. I started to communicate with Andrey Shevchenko, he often come to lougde. Konte - is very pleasant man. When I was on a Chelsea's base, where studied some training sessions, we talked a little. Then we talked on a U23 English League Cup Final "Manchester City - Chelsea" and on Fulham's game, where he came to look on loaned players.

-Is it true that you was making your own plan with wanted games and sending it to special man?
    -Yes, I was learning the shedule and then sending plan to secretary and she was telling me where I can get tickets.

-Tell us about your plans. Coming back to Moscow and going to England from there?
    -Yes, I'll fly to England in 13th. Then I need to come back to get working VISA.

-For a year?
    -I don't know, I do it first time. I think it will be the same as my contract. Without working contract you can't get a permission. In coming days I'll be in Hull. There's a lot of questions: squad, trainings, stuff. I'm even uncomfortable seeing so big volume of work. Then I'll be back to Russia for 1-2 days to get VISA. I was said that it tooks two weeks to get it.

-Is your son staying at Moscow?
    -For first half a year I won't take my relatives with me. If until winter I won't be fired I take them.

-Is it hard for you. Your son always was near you...
    -Say truly, no. Even staying with them in my mind I was with CSKA. And the knew it and understand it. And problems of one player for me was more important than my son's. Unfortunately, that's me. They accustomed to it. So there's nothing hard. My family came to me several times. Maybe they'll come again. But it's for sure not serious problem for us.

-Don't you afraid that possible failure will clip your wings?
    -First of all there was risk thar my dream will not come true. I didn't understand how real is it. So now it's real. Now I need to know can I realise it directly in work. Sport by itself is very risky. What I thought many people think weird. But I decided. I try. I have my own way. Fortunately, always was people who supported me. It's hard to be only one even with your own thoughts - they're need to be discussed.

-What's your main objective now?
    -Staffing the team and coashing staff, planning the training process, preparational period. Physical trainer already sent me his view. Then - monitoring of stuff. It's my objectibe in coming weeks (however I think some people can't decide it in years). And when we start to work with team in 3rd of July - concentrate on preparation as hard as possible.

Quick answers.

-To what you still can't get used to in England?
    -To their excessive thoroughness.

-Name typical English meal, which you adore and meal, which you hate the most.

-I learned only one English meal - Fish&Ships. Sometimes you can really like it, sometimes it's not good.

-Name three Russians who can really play in BPL.
    -Even four: Shatov, Smolov, Dzyba and Golovin. (After pause) Dzagoev - fifth, Akinfeev - sixth.

-Are you afraid that you can fail in England?
    -Yes.

-Imagine that you are back in past, in moment when you got call to national team. What would you answer: Yes or No?
    -Yes.

-What do you want to Cherchesov and Russia national team ahead of Confederation Cup?

-I want them success, win, quality game. National team is always close attention and unrealistic expectations. I want them to meet the fans' expectations and get the result, as good as possible.

-End the phrase: "Favorite team of my life is..."
    -Now it's Olimpia and CSKA. It's like first love. By the way, in both teams I worked for 7 years.

-If when you worked in Olimpia someone came to you and said "Leonid, 15 years later you will be the manager of English club", what would you answer?

-I would nod and after second forget this conversation.

3. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

wow amazing

thank you

shgleb94 likes this.
  4. lewisc29

lewisc29 Idiot

Really great insight and a lot more open compared to what we have here. I wan't even aware of the dislike of the colour green!

shgleb94 likes this.
  5. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

Quality stuff - really appreciate the time and effort.

shgleb94 and Happy Tiger like this.
  6. Ullofaman

Ullofaman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    GlassHalfHull and Melbournetiger like this.
  7. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

The Angel of the North would give that a proper seeing to. <whistle>

Howden Tigress likes this.
  8. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Brilliant
    Thank you
    I like the detail about green being unlucky
    It is not that important, but it is correct

Fascinating

shgleb94 likes this.
  9. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

10. armchairfan

armchairfan Well-Known Member

Obviously Hull is no longer a place of many fisherman, that ended by the 70s. And I know another Russian article went on about Hull as being listed as a crap city. As there's plenty of misinformation about Hull in the UK you'd expect there to be as much outside too. As he says he has time to get to know the area.

This was one of my worries that he needs a staff with him and if he can't get people who he's worked with before that's a handicap.

11. SydneyTiger14

Golovin gets a mention again, wonder if that's a likely one.

12. Red top reader

Red top reader Well-Known Member

Supposedly going to the gunners for £10million.... maybe

13. StubbDave

StubbDave Active Member

I'm getting to really like our new manager. Thanks for the indights.

14. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

agree

he seems an utterly top man

15. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

16. SydneyTiger14

So possibility of a loan could be strong.

17. Rock'n'Roll

Rock'n'Roll Well-Known Member

All apologies, but it's almost impossible. He's key main team player at CSKA despite his age. Is it wise to sell him before Champions League qualify games? He can be sold only with instant loan back option (IMO).

18. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member

Have to say, he comes across very well indeed. Love the comment about if he doesn't get fired by winter he'll bring his family over.

19. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

All getting a bit cloggy ffs; what's next, Slutsky the Musical? Time to ease off on the bullshit and see what happens next.

20. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Never heard of the unlucky green thing. We've even had 2 green kits from my memory.