1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Os wanted Martin Out

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Osvaldorama, Sep 19, 2023.

?

Martin out?

1. Right now, he's another Nathan Jones!

24.4%
  2. Give him one more game to see if he will actually play players in their right positions

4.2%
  3. Give him until next international break

31.1%
  4. Stick with him, he'll turn it round

40.3%
  1. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

I'm fully expecting a 16-point deduction, between now and Saturday, so that we won't be in the playoffs at all, even after destroying Leeds with our possession football

2. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

That's the spirit!

Seriously though, it might help to remember that Norwich only got relegated the season before us, and they still have a lot of quality throughout their squad. They seriously underachieved last season. There's hardly a huge gulf in quality between us.

West Brom have been the best team outside the top 4 all season, and have beaten both Ipswich and Leeds.

I'm more confident going up against West Brom, but it's going to be very tough whoever we play, even if we manage to rediscover our mid-season form.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  3. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'd rather play Norwich as it'll be a better away day I think. Though I might sack the away leg off yet depending on var and cost.

Edit - Hull would be the best option but I can't see them making it

4. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. Nothing about the PL attracts me, as acSaints fan.

milton archer likes this.
  5. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

I know it’s irrelevant but based on previous results.

1 West Brom - We have beaten them.

2 Norwich - Two draws but over two legs could see us edging it.

3 Hull - Can’t get over how easily they beat us at St Mary’s.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  6. Libby

Libby 9-0

I've been mulling this over since Saturday and does anyone else think Martin is quite like Ralph in many aspects?

Concedes lots of goals
    Obsessed with playing players out of their natural positions
    Inflexible with regards to style and changes in game
    Clearly a good coach who can get his ideas across but not a great manager

Now obviously Ralph is better and far more proven than Martin but there's definitely a lot of similarities imo.

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah I tend to agree that it doesn't hugely matter but for me:

1) Hull - only ground in top 7 I've not been too.

2) Norwich - would both be good games I think as we tend to have a lot when we play them. Good away day too.

3) WBA - went there in February and us beating them twice makes the Saints fan in me nervous. I see us struggling to score many against them for some reason

8. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

We need Monkou back for Norwich away.

9. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I was speaking to a Charlton fan today and they seemed pleased with Nathan Jones!

The comparison with Hassenhutl is an interesting one but I think that Russell Martin is not on the same level as a coach. I was talking over the match with a mate on Saturday and he commented that the introduction of Stephens has shown Martin to be as obstinate as Hassenhutl . Like the Austrian, I feel we have played scintilating football under Martin this season . By the same token, I feel that the playing out from the back causes mayhem and I do not feel Ralph would continue to pursue that when it results in so many unnecessary errors. Regarding the football style, both managers have suffered through having poor finishers.

For what it is worth, I think Martin has done much better than I had expected. The damage last season seemed so comprehensive that I felt mid-table stability would be an achievement. To be in the playoffs in an extremely competitive season is a massive achievement. However, I am not convinced Martin is the man to get us promoted.

I think next season will be totally different and am expecting the squad to be largely unfamiliar. Following Dragan Solak's visit on Saturday, I am wondering whether Russell's cards might start to be marked. It was a woeful performance. I feel that we will have a very poor start to next season and be bottom half. I do not feel Russell can take the club to the level they need to be at for promotion. We are not good enought this season. If I was betting, I could see Russell being binned after Christmas .

......loading...... likes this.
  10. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Sorry, too much common sense. Martin and Rasmus don’t want to hear it.

We are saints. We would rather re-invent football and play players in random positions, thank you

tiggermaster likes this.

11. Cowtownred

Cowtownred Well-Known Member

12. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Just to add that both are poor at game management, especially when the opposition make personnel or tactical changes at halftime or in the second half. Ralph was generally better than RM but Ralph was probably worse than RM towards the end of his tenure.

13. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

We were all priaisng Martin for his in game management earlier this season when we kept getting late results and his subs had positive impact.

Not sure what's happened recently.

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Seems like when we were playing well, dominating games but not quite scoring enough. Bringing on the likes of Fraser, Mara, Aribo made a big difference. Adding fresh legs and quality for this level paid dividends. Not sure he’s made many subs that have made a positive impact on the game when we weren’t already playing well, to change the course of the game.

15. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Off the top of my head, bringing on Joe Rothwell significantly changed the Huddersfield and Sunderland games in our favour.

16. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

I think Russ is a prime example of football being a simple game made complicated by coaches. McKenna efficiently gets the best out of his limited squad by playing simple tactics, or so it seems to me. I`m old school I suppose, and believe that the spine of the team has to be right - keeper, CBs, DM and CF.. You can do the fancy stuff with the other positions.

17. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Good point, but individual moments do not necessarily mean great intent by RM - "a swallow does not a summer make".

18. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

But any sub that comes on and changes the game is normally down to a individual moment surely?

19. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Well okay, but then sh*t finishing by our strikers shouldn't be blamed on Russ either then.

20. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The players have had a gruelling run of games. I am sure some of them are carrying knocks or are mentally drained.