1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Watching Wolves is like us under Ossie , not a clue defending, on second thoughts a bit like us for the past year

2. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

After 4 games we are two points better than 2nd bottom Norwich. Wow!

3. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Mkhitaryan will be off to Roma on a season-long loan. Roma will pay a loan fee and will cover 80% of his £180k p/w wages <laugh>. I don't know why they would do such a thing, but I won't be complaining.

If this comes to fruition (and I hope it does, for both the club's sake and his sake), it makes Emery's decision to bring him on yesterday even more confusing. He's been garbage for ages now, his confidence is shot and he clearly doesn't want to be here anymore. So how he came on ahead of Nelson, Willock or Ozil (who has looked sharp in pre-season) was absolutely staggering. An extremely poor substitution considering it was 2-2 and we were looking for a winner. It completely killed our impetus.

The Mkhi-Sanchez swap deal has to be one of the worst transfers in recent years.

Although I have to say, I've been impressed with how much deadwood we've been able to clear in one Summer.

4. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

5. BrunelGooner

The image didn't come up, but I'm guessing it's a picture of Mustafi? <laugh>

If it is, I did say I'm happy with how much deadwood we've gotten rid of, not that we've gotten rid of all of them!

The Changing Man likes this.
  6. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I think you answer your own question. He was brought on yesterday so that Roma are fooled into thinking they are getting a player that is an important first team squad player. A bit of kidology.

Roma (based on above) will be paying £144k pw. It seems 5 minutes ago that was what the elite players got. You guys still paying £36k pw for a player you cannot use.

7. BrunelGooner

I guess, but then we only used 2 of our 3 subs. Even if he wanted to bring Micky on, how Willock, Nelson or Ozil didn't get game time still doesn't make sense to me, but any who.

In an ideal world, we'd have shifted Mkhitaryan off the books permanently. However, he has been dreadful for us for a long time now. He looks a total shadow of the player he was at Dortmund. Runs into blind alleys, loses the ball, can't pass, can't shoot, can't cross and doesn't even offer anything defensively. I'm sure the scouting team at Roma will have watched him and observed how ineffective he's been for us. And let's not forget he will be 31 this season and is on hefty wages. But maybe they think he still has something to offer in a less intense, less physical league?

Whilst we are paying £36kp/w for a player we cannot use, I'd rather take the hit in that sense than see him in an Arsenal shirt again. He is utterly dreadful. And now it forces Emery to use the youth players more.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Isn't it leaving you lot a bit short in the attacking department now though?

Welbeck left, Iwobi left and now Mkhi is leaving as well. I know Nelsson's around (rate him) but seems like there isn't much depth beyond those strikers/ attacking mids.

Would be a terrible shame if Auba or Laca got an injury :bandit:

SpursDisciple likes this.
  9. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Perish the thought!

Dier Hard likes this.
  10. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Tbh having watch miki a few times and in that last match they are probably better off playing mustafi up there instead.

11. BrunelGooner

I don't thinks so tbh.

I know this has been said before, but it really does feel like the current group of Hale End academy graduates are the most promising group we've had for ages. And the reason why I, and many others, want Emery to play these youth players more is because of how promising they have looked in pre-season/U23s. Obviously, this is no guarantee they will make the necessary step up to the first-team, but they at least deserve a chance to prove themselves. And they can't do any worse than Ozil, Mkhitaryan, Elneny and Xhaka, to name but a few.

Joe Willock can play as a CAM if needs be. Then we have Emile Smith-Rowe who can play on the flanks and who scored 4 goals for the first-team last season before getting injured. Reiss Nelson is another one as you rightly mention. Then we have Bukayo Saka who looks to have a varied skillset. We also have that young Brazilian we bought from Ituano, Gabriel Martinelli, who has looked energetic and lively. All of these options would better than the old guard, of that I am 100% confident of.

Also, Pepe can play up front too if needs be. I know you're not a fan of him, DH, but I do think it's far too soon to judge him as he had no pre-season with us, came back to Arsenal lacking match fitness and the 2 games he has started were against Liverpool and Spurs. Hardly cannon fodder. He will need time to adjust.

Dier Hard likes this.
  12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Ah gotcha, wasn't aware of other attacking youth prospects outside of Nelson. Heard of Smith-Rowe before but didn't know his position.

EDIT: Always good to see youth given a go though, regardless of who they play for. It's what really helped us at the start going forward under Poch, only Kane has survived but we owe a great deal to Mason, Townsend and Bentaleb.

Ha, the Pepe stuff I'm just teasing with, I mean don't get me wrong right now he's definitely Bolasie part two based of what I've seen but there's obviously a long way to go. Naturally I hope he remains as such though. ;)

BrunelGooner likes this.
  13. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

It's strange that Arsenal are running down their squad depth - especially considering that the recent departures have been first team players. Monreal has been a regular and is versatile. Stranger still given that they are in the EL and might end up playing 648 games this season.

14. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

15. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

give over that was no Arsenal fan

wonder what RCL was up to yesterday evening <laugh>

16. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

The delusion is strong with this one. I'm going to have to refer this to @Hoddle Is A God , it may well make his year.

17. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

It probably was HAIG :)

18. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have you seen AFTV? All fanbases have them, but...

19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Must have been Ty.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  20. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

I do like Ozil over De Bruyne. Even the Arsenal manager disagrees with that one. I tend to think Van Dijk is a little overhyped, but to say he is inferior to Luiz is going way too far. Pepe over Salah - only if we're talking about the home of Sadio Mane.