1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jan 2, 2012.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Some people don't even know about it.
    Those who don't frequent forums or use social media can miss it entirely.
    They'll hear about it at the ground when the season starts.

2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

What legislation had not come into effect? Rape has always been a crime.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  3. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It happened in Spain and UK legislation changed about a week after it happened.
    At allows prosecution for overseas sex crimes for British residents, IIRC.
    Not sure why the Spanish authorities don't seem to be involved. Maybe they are?

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Is that supposed to be Klopp? <laugh> It really is Shipman:
    please log in to view this image

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

7. humanbeingincroydon

Certain players will presumably be starting that training in the remedial class

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

What a classy leaving video.

10. humanbeingincroydon

Go on, Brighton, report the Mansourites for tapping-up

11. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I have to say I find it baffling that the club continue to act as if nothing happened. If he was a Spurs player I would be just as baffled and just as upset at the botched handling of the situation.

Getting off on a technicality is what confuses me the most as to the club's stance, as he is effectively a confirmed rapist, just not a rapist who can be prosecuted with any punitive outcome. Let's say a player was found guilty of rape in a country with whom the UK has no extradition treaty so technically won't suffer any consequences for their actions. Would the club continue to play that plyer? What if, as others have said, the Spanish authorities launch a formal investigation? Continue turning a blind eye?

The whole thing really doesn't sit well with me and sorry to say it but I hope he and by extension Arsenal football club get dog's abuse wherever they go this season.

12. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whatever negativity or vitriol we face this season will be entirely warranted and self-inflicted.

I’ve said this before, but my optimism and (delusional) hope for the upcoming season has waned since this news came out about Partey last month.

I just can’t bring myself to cheer on any new players when I know we’ve handled a serious situation like this. Completely taken the wind out of my sails.

Maybe I’ll feel differently if they eventually do the right thing, but that remains to be seen and is purely hypothetical at this point.

It feels like nothing else matters until this situation is dealt with appropriately.

13. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

14. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Leicester are going to struggle big time this season ( IMO ).
    Kasper was one of their best players and if they also let Fofana, then they will be very leaky at the back.
    Relegation beckons. Rodgers sacked before Xmas.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  15. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

If Fofana leaves and they sell Tielemans as well (his contract expires next summer), they will be weaker in goal, defence and midfield. Chuck in that their best striker is ageing and increasingly susceptible to injury...and it's not looking too good.

There's still plenty of time to spend the money from any sales, but rebuilding the spine of the team during the season isn't great for any coach/manager.

Are they still due a FFP punishment from the Football League for cheating when thy got promoted?

Billy The Spur likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

It also has to be said their missing out on European football entirely surely has to have bitten them, given they're run on razor thin margins mainly supported by selling one of their players for a large fee

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

They're not planning on replacing Schmeichel either, apparently.
    Ward and Iversen will fight it out for the starting place.

Does make me wonder what the plan is for Lloris now, though.
    He was due to rejoin Nice before retiring and that looks unlikely now, unless he waits even longer.

18. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Understandable complete blank from the media on this. They reported the "unknown player" when it was an accusation, but now more facts are known they've gone silent. But is it understandable? The get out of jail free card (pun intended) is that they can't talk about ongoing police investigations. But is it still ongoing? Now that this "technicality" has come to light, is there anything more than the police can do? The next media defence will be that they don't want to make the situation worse for the victim, and keep her out of the news. But is that what the victim wants here? She may want publicity in order to damage the reputation of the player, in which case her actual wishes should be taken into account and not assumed. Because if the name still isn't broadcast then in fact the broadcasters are acting in the interests of the "rapist" and the team he inexplicably continues to play for. Having said that I wonder if some enterprising lawyers are working out something they can get him on, you know you can't get mob boss and murderer Al Capone for the obvious stuff, so you get him for tax evasion. So let's see. But meanwhile I think the actions of the broadcasters at this time should be noted for potential later criticism when all the facts come out. I think for example, TalkShite is editorially compromised because the are currently plugging the "All or Nothing" documentary series quite hard, so might want to avoid overt criticism of Arsenal while they are doing that.

On a more personal note, if this was a Spurs player I would not want him anywhere near the team. I would be embarrassed for him to be associated with the club. It would be a disgrace if we played him. I appreciate what BrunelG has said on here, he clearly has more of a moral compass than his club and some (many?) of their fans. I'm sorry to hear that parts of the crowd were cheering him in their pre-season game. I am also interested what the commentary on Friday will say when/if the player is booed. And being Palace fans I think they will. And what happens if the crowd suddenly start spontaneously chanting "rapist" or similar, how will the broadcasters handle that?

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

There were 3 accusations from 2 women and they've found that one is out of their jurisdiction.
    There are still 2 accusations from 1 woman ongoing.

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

If anyone's spectacularly bored later or really missing football, there's a game on the BBC.
    Dundee United face AZ Alkmaar in a Europa Conference League qualifier at Tannadice.
    It's on the iPlayer for all and BBC Scotland for our North of the border correspondents.