1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stewie's Corner - The Off-Topic Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by SaintLapras, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Ched Evans: Fleetwood Town boss Joey Barton says striker to leave over 'discipline'
    please log in to view this image

Wales international Ched Evans is leaving Fleetwood Town because of "discipline and behaviour" issues, says manager Joey Barton.

The 31-year-old, who joined on a permanent deal in 2019 following a loan spell, was not part of the squad for Saturday's 1-1 draw with Wigan.

Barton told BBC Radio Lancashire: "There's been multiple infractions.

"We always try to give a bit of leeway but it's just run its course. There has to be a change of scenery for him."

Barton said he liked and respected Evans, but felt "it's got to the point where you have to act if someone keeps crossing the line".

"What has happened will stay in our dressing room," Barton added. "It's nothing major, it's just a number of things that have gone on recently.

"He's no longer with us and he'll leave the building due to his discipline and his behaviour."

Whilst I personally don't like Evans for what he got up to in the past, don't you think it's rich for a person like Barton with a massive history of disgusting misdemeanors himself, to pass judgement on a fellow human being ?!! It's almost laughable.......

2. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If Barton's kicked him out for 'discipline and behaviour issues' it probably transpires that he was being far too polite and helpful :emoticon-0150-hands

3. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey are mourning the death of Bobby Kellard, who has passed away at the age of 77.

The former Blues midfielder passed away peacefully on Sunday, having suffered a stroke last February.

He netted 18 goals in 176 appearances during two spells for the club and his combative display made him a firm favourite of the Fratton faithful.

I remember seeing him play for Pompey - a very good player. RIP Bobby <rose> <peacedove>

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth winger Ryan Williams' twin brother Aryn training with Hawks.

Hawks boss Paul Doswell has been allowing him to train with his squad as he is based locally living with brother Ryan.

He is currently without a club having most recently been on the books at Indonesian outfit Persebaya Surabaya.

Aryn, who also played in the Australian A-League with Perth Glory earlier in his career, is now expected to sign non-contract terms with Hawks, subject to international clearance.

The Aussie would provide an added defensive option with Doswell's squad facing a hectic schedule to complete the National League South season.

Hawks, who sit seventh in the table, still have 30 league fixtures remaining and a FA Trophy last-16 tie also to be played.

Aryn is looking to return to the game and he would become the third member of his family currently at a professional club.

Twin brother Ryan has been at Pompey since rejoining the club in the summer of 2019.

Meanwhile, older brother Rhys - formerly of Championship side Middlesbrough - plays in the Saudi League with Al-Qadsiah.

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey Mourn John Mortimore - Former Blues manager passes away.

Pompey are mourning the death of John Mortimore, who has passed away at the age of 86.

The former Chelsea centre-back was in charge at Fratton Park between May 1973 and September 1974.

After making 279 appearances for the Londoners – and later having a short spell with QPR – he began his managerial career in Greece.

Hampshire-born Mortimore was then appointed Blues boss to replace Ron Tindall and guided the club to 15th position in Division Two at the end of the 1973/74 campaign.

But he left the club just four games into the following season, having won 19 of his 55 matches at the helm.

Mortimore later had two spells at Portuguese giants Benfica and led them to the top-flight title on each occasion.

He also worked at Betis and Belenenses, then coached at Pompey’s south coast rivals Southampton and was their president.

The thoughts of everyone at Portsmouth Football Club are with John’s wife Mary, and all their family and friends at this sad time.
    .....RIP <peacedove> <rose>...

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Sad news that Captain Sir Tom Moore has today died in hospital due to contracting Covid 19. RIP Sir Tom, what a truly remarkable and wonderful man <peacedove> <rose>

7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Meningitis, cancer, career-threatening injury and England - the inspirational comeback of gutsy Portsmouth starlet Alfie Bridgman.

Situated in Fratton Park’s disabled section, the 11-year-old surveyed match action from his wheelchair. Nudging his grandad, he pledged to find a way to fulfil his footballing dream. Within five years, Alfie Bridgman had appeared for Pompey’s first-team.

The former Chelsea, Brighton and Southampton youth prospect had been told by surgeons it was unlikely he would be able to continue performing at a decent level. With his right knee requiring two major operations, the former Purbrook Park School pupil was condemned to almost two-and-a-half years on the sidelines.

The gutsy Bridgman’s remarkable pathway into football saw him overcome meningitis, weight issues, and torn ligaments in his shoulder, while in December was given the all-clear following a long-standing cancer scare.

Then, at the age of 16 years, nine months and two days, the midfielder was granted an entrance from the Blues’ bench.

Mum Rachael sobbed, while dad Glenn choked back the emotion as the Crookhorn family gathered around their television to watch the first-year scholar’s outing against Peterborough in the Papa John’s Trophy earlier this month.

Timed at nine minutes, in footballing parlance this was a cameo. Nonetheless, it represented the culmination of a life-long battle against the odds.

‘It’s the same for every parent, you have to be strong, you can’t let your child see you are suffering for them,’ dad Glenn told The News.

‘We feared Alfie wouldn’t play again, especially with what he went through, but that has to remain behind closed doors, never around him.

‘You can’t show it. You’re fearing the worst, definitely, but you must try to stay positive with him, for his sake. Keep up his spirits, don’t let him see your concerns.

‘The injuries happened not long after signing for Pompey as an 11-year-old. Alfie snapped a cartilage in his knee while running on the grass at school. He wasn’t even playing football, just running.

‘It was a big operation. At first they wanted to carry out keyhole surgery, but couldn’t find the part of the cartilage which had come off, so had to cut him open and attach it back into place.

‘When he returned to football 18 months later, it wasn’t right. I could see something was very wrong, he was running with a limp.

‘A scan found that a bit of the cartilage had come off again, causing a sharp pain as it rubbed into the back of his knee. It required another operation.

‘In total, Alfie missed two years and three months of football through injury. He was a kid and that was taken away from him.

‘There was a real determination about him though, mentally he pushed himself through every setback.

‘When Havant schools players against Pompey schools at Fratton Park in 2015, our eldest son Stan was playing.

‘Alfie went along to watch. He was 11, in his wheelchair after the first operation, and sat in front of the Fratton end with his grandad Tom next to him.

‘During the game, he turned around and said “I want some of that”. Seeing his brother playing at Fratton Park inspired him.

‘From that day his attitude changed, there was a real positivity, you could see his determination to become a footballer.

‘Do you know what, it wasn’t until the age of 14 when he came back – and within three months was playing in Pompey’s under-16s.

‘Thankfully he has carried on up the ladder.’

Such was Bridgman’s prodigious talent, at the age of five he was a regular substitute for Pickwick under-7s.

During one tournament, he caught the attention of Chelsea and was soon training with the Premier League giants.

However, twice weekly travelling to Surrey locations for training took its toll, with the youngster subsequently moving to Southampton on schoolboy forms for two seasons.

Following his release at the end of an under-10s campaign, Brighton reacted swiftly to capture the services of the highly-regarded midfielder.

Yet, by the age of 10, Bridgman had pleaded with his parents for a break from the professional game to play Sunday League with his friends.

Glenn added: ‘I remember Alfie playing for Brighton against Chelsea and scoring twice. Afterwards he told me “Dad, I want to knock it on the head, I’m not enjoying it”.

‘There was too much pressure, too early. He was just a kid.

‘At the age of five he was with Chelsea. I don’t think he was the right player for them at the time and the travelling was awkward. At least Southampton was closer to home.

‘The day he was released by Southampton after two seasons, Brighton were that evening on the phone wanting Alfie to join them.

‘After three or four months, he told me he needed a break.

‘There’s nothing better when your son comes home and tells you “I’m loving doing this”. That’s what you want to hear, you want to know they’re enjoying themselves.

‘Alfie no longer felt like that. He had been playing too much high-level football at such a young age.

‘Coming home from school, getting into the car and driving off for training two or three times a week – that’s a lot of pressure on the kid.

‘Brighton said they’d wait for him, but after a couple of weeks he said “Dad, I want to leave it alone for a bit”. We were not going to push him.

‘Alfie took a bit of time out, he played a bit of football with his mates at grassroots with United Services for a bit of fun. Although it wasn’t for long, he ripped the tendons in his shoulder while taking a long throw-in, ruling him out for the season.

‘Then Pompey showed interest in him, offering a three-week trial, and he entered their under-11s, and enjoyed his football ever since.

‘The club have been absolutely brilliant with him, sticking by Alfie through his injuries and working with him for two years on his rehab, especially the physio James Morris.

Bridgman’s progress continues to impress. In August 2018, he was invited to attend an England under-15s summer camp held at Loughborough University.

‘He’s happy where he is, doing what he needs to do, he’s enjoying it. For me that’s the biggest thing – enjoyment.’

The week-long stay consisted of a friendly against Port Vale’s under-16/17s side. Bridgman’s team would lose 4-2, yet he weighed in with a goal and an assist.

The family remain hopeful there will be other England interest. Regardless, it’s another memorable landmark for Alfie, who has overcome a procession of torrid setbacks since before the age of three.

As a toddler, he contracted meningitis, spending a week attached to a drip at QA Hospital, later diagnosed as the viral variant and making a full recovery.

According to Glenn, his son piled on two-and-a-half stone during his injury inaction, representing another hurdle the youngster has admirably cleared.

While in December, Alfie was given the all-clear after a cancer scare spanning several years.

His dad added: ‘He was at school one day and his brother pushed him over, causing Alfie to hurt his shoulder.

‘Come midnight, he was still crying his eyes out at home, so we took him to hospital and he had an X-ray. The nurse carrying it out said: “I’ve never seen that before”.

‘He had cysts in his shoulder bone, which was initially believed to be benign cancer. Luckily they were just cysts, but still required treatment, while the hospital monitored him.

‘Over two or three years, Alfie had to attend QA every three months for scans, checking they didn’t grow any bigger and weren’t cancerous.

‘Thankfully he was given the all-clear last month. The lad’s certainly been through it, but his determination shines through. He’s desperate to succeed.

‘I played football a long time ago, I was a schoolboy at Pompey and Southampton before going semi-pro with Bognor and Chichester.

‘My attitude wasn’t right, I have regrets. I didn’t want to train, all I was interested in was turning up to play. I was wrong.

‘I’ve told my boys that, whatever you do, don’t have any regrets. Give it absolutely everything and, if it doesn’t go right, at least you can say you’ve tried your best. ‘Fingers crossed they have listened.’

The Bridgman brothers occupied the same Pompey Academy team in October 2019 for an FA Youth Cup encounter with Hereford.

Afie’s entrance from the bench ensured he shared the pitch with his older brother for 13 minutes in a 5-1 triumph. A photograph taken of the pair after the final whistle inevitably hangs up at the family’s home as a proud reminder.

Released by Pompey last summer, Stan has spent time at Finnish third-tier side Pallo-lirot and is currently trialling with Northern Ireland club Larne.

As for Alfie, the first-year scholar is eyeing adding to that emotional Peterborough outing.

‘I am a great believer in fate, things happen for a reason, and that long-term injury changed his mindset, it helped him turn a corner,’ added Glenn.

‘Whereas before that time in the wheelchair he was so good he didn’t really care that much, Pompey are now telling me his mindset has become really impressive.

‘He wants to be the best trainer, he wants to be the quickest at the club, he has come on absolutely loads.

‘Alfie was on the bench for the Papa John’s Trophy game against West Ham under-21s in November for his first taste of the first-team.

‘He never got on, but told me just going into a changing room seeing his shirt hanging up with his name on it was enough for him. It was that feeling, tremendous.

‘There have been times when I’ve feared the worst for him, but during more than two years out injured he showed hard work, determination and an incredible mental strength. He could have given up.

‘Alfie’s trying to live out his dreams like every other kid. Hopefully he’s going to continue his journey.’

8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey Win Community Award - ‘Blue Kitchen’ initiative helps secure regional prize.

Pompey have been named the Your Move Community Club of the Year for the South East & East region.

The club – along with other winners – will be recognised at a special virtual EFL Community Awards event on Wednesday, April 28.

Catching the judge’s attention was the innovative ‘Blue Kitchen’ project run by Pompey in the Community.

Created as a response to Covid pandemic, it has since diversified and expanded into a variety of forms to support the engagement of young people in cooking and achieving a healthy lifestyle.

It also involves online cookery lessons for care homes and fans across the country, as well as helping long-term unemployed adults gain meaningful work.

The other regional victors include Blackburn (North West), Bristol Rovers (South West & Wales), Port Vale (Midlands), Sunderland (North East & Yorkshire) and Watford (London).

An overall winner will be announced at the EFL Awards, which is to be broadcast live on Sky Sports Football from 7.30pm on Thursday, April 29.

The ongoing work of EFL clubs highlights the power of football as a force for good in a year when communities have needed them most.

During the pandemic, clubs have provided critical support to the communities they serve – from delivering important food parcels to those most at risk to helping people who are isolated and suffering from loneliness.

The six winners have been chosen for the outstanding impact they continue to have in changing people’s lives for the better across a wide range of areas including: physical and mental wellbeing, diversity and inclusion, employability and tackling loneliness.

antipodean exile likes this.
  9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

10. antipodean exile

antipodean exile Well-Known Member

Wooperts_duck likes this.

11. antipodean exile

Dear Mrs. Julie Bailey,
    Over the past six months, your husband has caused quite a commotion in our store.
    We cannot tolerate this behaviour and have been forced to ban him from the store.

12. antipodean exile

13. antipodean exile

14. antipodean exile

15. antipodean exile

16. antipodean exile

17. antipodean exile

Australia’s War Horses.
    ‘They suffered wounds, thirst, hunger and weariness almost beyond endurance. But never failed. They did not come home. We will never forget them.’
    The words above are on a memorial to 136,000 horses (only one of which was allowed back into Australia) that served in WW1. The memorial is located on the South West external wall of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney.
    The memorial was erected by members of The Desert Mounted Corps and friends to the Gallant Horses who carried them over Sinai Desert into Palestine 1915 – 1918.
    The horses, nicknamed ‘Walers’, carried Australian soldiers to victory and created a legend. The horses were a mix of breeds imported from overseas and were bred to be as hardy as possible, which was a vital attribute in the harsh Australian environment.
    The Australian light horse regiments were devastated to learn their beloved horses would not be returning with them to Australia when WW1 ended. Their horses, to them, was an animal that represented so many characteristics of our national identity, like mateship, loyalty, strength and bravery.
    Lest We Forget.

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Brilliant save by Pompey keeper Gavin Bazunu from a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty this evening in a World Cup qualifier in Portugal. ... Well done Gavin !!

19. antipodean exile

Gave me a sore hooter Woops..............

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>