1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

TD36 - Brum watch.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

He deserves a thread of his own after leaving:

123 goals on the vid but according to Wiki he got a few more, must have been after the videos was made as it was published Jun 29, 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Deeney

419 appearances 140 goals.

A modern legend of Watford F.C.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yes... one of our all time legends... technically not the best and not an attractive player in a lot of ways... .but for sheer guts and determination. mental attitude and leadership one fo the very best......

The Leicester play offs team goal will stay with me forever.... plus his prowess at penalties

Wish him well.......

For the last time

<magic>:emoticon-0159-music DEENEY...... DEENEY........ :emoticon-0159-music<magic>

:emoticon-0139-bow:

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There is a lot we could say about Troy Deeney and the service he has provided to the club. On the pitch he had his heyday alongside Vydra or Oghalo as so often happens when a duo form a good understanding. His work rate was outstanding, and you could watch him encouraging others in the team to keep going. He admitted recently that it had become harder just to keep up and be in the right place with some of the faster, younger players in the team.
    But maybe he had become someone special as he became the voice of the club so often. His deep admiration of GT and his friendship with his family spoke about the thoughtful nature within him. Never too busy to have a word with the youngsters, I wonder how many times he has smiled into a phone, but also often seen chatting to people in the disabled section at grounds. He projected an image, very important these days, about Watford still being a family club, and being prepared to tackle some issues outside of football.
    Just who will or can replace him I don't know. It will be difficult. Thanks, you have given us great deal of good memories to add to our own Watford histories.

please log in to view this image

4. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

Its a sad day for me as it also feels symbolic of the change at the club. A player bought from a lower league club with the proceeds from an Elton John concert when we were strapped for money, and a mid-table Championship finish was success. A team filled with academy graduates, because we had no other choice, and where the manager was promoted from the coaching staff, again because we had no other choice. He belonged to another era.

Today, mid-table in the premier league is success, we have players and coaches from all four corners of the globe. GT is gone, but TD has been a strong part in driving the identity of the club. I worry about that if so many people involved on the pitch feel so transient, how will we define ourselves as a club and a group of supporters?

For all their wheeler-dealing, the first era of Pozzo ownership was defined by a player they neither bought nor ended up selling. I hope the next era continues to bring success, but with the loss of strong figure like Deeney, the loss of Hughes, probably the departure of Foster in a year or so, how do we continue to feel like a cohesive team and a club? At times, it felt like he was the one that held it all together, and I didn't expect that at all when I saw his first appearance, and even less after his arrest. Watford has changed his life, but he also played his part in changing Watford FC.

5. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

A great role model for people comeback from a bad spell off the pitch and a great servant for the club on and off the pitch.

Never made any fuss and always willing to play (hardly injured was he until recent times)

Had the respect of many in and out of the club.

Maybe was time to move on but will be missed.

6. yorkshirehornet

please log in to view this image

7. HHTFC1

HHTFC1 Well-Known Member

https://www.watfordfc.com/video/alternative-view-1/troy-deeney-every-goal-for-watford-fc
    all in there now!!!

I remember when Luther left (the first two times), was a young lad then...feel just as much pain today saying goodbye to this man. What a gent and was super with the kids.
    My Son: Hi Troy, can I ask you a question?
    Troy: Is there a word you have forgotten?
    My Son: Hi Troy PLEASE can I ask you a question?
    Troy: Of course, you can ask whatever you want as you have good manners....what would you like to ask me?

Just wish he had more of the stuff Roy of the Rovers or Nick Jarvis drank that enabled him to play for us until he was about 40 :emoticon-0102-bigsm

8. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

My wife and I went to the Elton John concert for which the proceeds brought Troy to our club. It was our first night "out" after the birth of our son. Little did we know, we would be contributing to the making of a true Watford FC legend

9. Mexican Hornet

https://www.watfordfc.com/video/alternative-view-1/troy-deeney-every-goal-for-watford-fc THANKS for the link! :) That is going to be a watched a fair few times by myself.

I never though I´d say this, but will be looking closely at Brums results.

andytoprankin and duggie2000 like this.
  10. Mexican Hornet

The touch by Anya still amazes me, less than the goal of course!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    yorkshirehornet likes this.

11. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

I can only echo the sentiments above.

Whichever way you slice it that Elton John gig was just about the best VFM event ever!

12. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

13. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Nice touch.

:emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0137-clapp:emoticon-0137-clapp

andytoprankin likes this.
  14. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

I still think Troy had a role to play this season, but I guess he's realised he's not going to get the minutes he wants from now on.

Worried we may regret it when injuries start to hit...

Very glad Gray is gone though, his confidence was ruined and he wasn't going to play. No idea how QPR can afford him though, we must be paying a huge chunk of his salary.

15. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

My WFC shirt bearing the gig details is a proud remembrance of that day. Even got my big sister to come along to Vicarage Road!

16. Mexican Hornet

Goal 60 was great, for me his best, incredible technique, 79 was even better in the build up and the desire and ground he made up to get on the peach of a cross. I believe it was Wigan away, can anyone confirm that please? (That part wasn´t shown in the vidoe)

82 first in the Prem (if remember rightly, Stoke) He must have loved 93 & 94 (Against Villa), 97 showed a fine touch. as did 105. 120 was one of the finest moves beforehand too, Maybe he should have been 123 and moved on, that was some high. 128 lovely grin there (Villa again). 129 how we can´t forget that day roasting the scoucers.

Numbers might be one out as was watching the video on one screen while writing! :)

Thanks Troy and smash em in for Brum.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  17. Bolton's Boots

I guess I shouldn't complain as I don't have the necessary skills to produce something better - but I do wish that for each goal the opposition had been labelled - and instead of that annoying music, commentary had been left in.
    If the club are planning any testimonial events for him, I think they should produce such a video - I'd be more than happy to pay for one.

18. yorkshirehornet

19. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

It does make you wonder where he and Watford would be now if he had not been given that chance after his spell in prison

Deeney is Watford and Watford are Deeney

Blisset was Irreplaceable but we survived and eventually found Deeney and for now Deeney is irreplaceable but we may have his replacement already on our books

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  20. Bolton's Boots

He's determined to stay popular with Watford fans...

FB_IMG_1630592759154.jpg