1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Rooney traveller family jailed for modern slavery offences

It looks like there is inequality in the justice system too – Mrs Rooney gets 7 years while her old man gets 10. They are surely all equally guilty of this barbarity.

These despicable people should not be going to the comfort of HM Prisons to serve their sentences. They should be locked into squalid caravans and treated like detritus as their victims were, as that might give them some small understanding of why slavery was abolished 210 years ago. Wilberforce will be spinning in his box at the notion that here in the 21st Century it is still going on in Britain. How many others are doing the same?

Chaninbar likes this.
  2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We have an Exotic Wasp Spider parked on our front door. Never seen one before. Just looks like a Wasp with spider legs

4. SwanHills

Yes, I know Ron, remember when I lived out in the sticks during my early days here, saw a few strange species too. Came to the conclusion that some male spiders will screw anything in a skirt?

Ron likes this.
  5. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

We get a few of these things in the house during the wet season, they're Huntsman spiders. They can give a nasty bite, but are not fatal.

please log in to view this image

Ron likes this.
  6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'll try to get a photo up of our new resident

Cyclonic likes this.
  7. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

That's a seriously good cry!

8. SwanHills

Watched a couple of Brian Cranston movies the last two days, 'The Infiltrator' (2016) and 'Trumbo' (2014). A couple of fine performances by Cranston, especially as the Hollywood screenwriter Dalton Trumbo. Historically not always accurate, and did receive mixed reviews, but 'Trumbo' still a very good film which I personally enjoyed. Sound performances by many including Helen Mirren as Hedda Hopper, and blow me if the German actor Christian Berkel (Der Kriminalist) didn't turn up at the end as the great director Otto Preminger. Here's Cranston giving a speech right at the end, after Dalton Trumbo received an award for his work:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=final speech by dalton trumbo in film trumbo&view=detail&mid=EB606DF09461A40F7900EB606DF09461A40F7900&FORM=VIRE

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    bayernkenny likes this.
  9. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Clip reminded me of the 1999 Academy Awards when Elia Kazan was awarded an honorary Oscar. Kazan had shafted many of his 'colleagues' to ensure his own enrichment and advancement when giving testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee during the McCarthy witch hunt times (The Red Scare). I recall one of my favourite actors, Ed Harris, sitting and not applauding even after Kazan had been introduced by Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese.

SwanHills likes this.
  10. SwanHills

Yes, BK, there were a lot of awful people, especially of the extreme right-wing political view, around at that time, namely Hedda Hopper, John Wayne (no 'hero', this guy, completely false tag), Joseph McCarthy, etc. Many actors were just a bit chicken-**** and bucked the main issue for fear of losing their jobs I guess, e.g. Edward G. Robinson (although he certainly did try early on, but found himself out of work thanks to the odious Hopper mostly). Reagan, Peck, Flynn, etc. Wayne confronted Trumbo once at a function, called him a so-and-so Commie and a traitor, to which Trumbo replied, "....and where were you during the war? At the end of 1946 I was in Okinawa, I don't believe you even ever left Hollywood between 1941 and 1946, yet you were happy to play war-hero parts?" Wayne went red and walked off.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    bayernkenny likes this.

11. SwanHills

Oh, btw BK, Oktoberfest opened today. Oberbürgermeister banged-in the first bung 57-minutes ago at 12 o'clock precisely. Can't handle all that beer nowadays, so we will just go to the grounds a couple of times for fish & chips and a small one. Last Tuesday went with family to an Italian place close to Kolumbusplatz, and had the best pizza I can ever remember. Place was very busy, and I can understand why. Can give you the address if you're interested on your next visit. Ale is from the Chiemsee Brewery, Weißbier, not sure.

bayernkenny and Cyclonic like this.
  12. bayernkenny

Cheers!

Satellite dish for the German digital channels on the blink at the moment so unable to watch the procession along Leopold Strasse onwards. 'Stadtatlas' examined for Kolumbusplatz; please let me have the address of the Italian restaurant as my former favourite pizza joint, where my Mum and I watched the Champion's League final win over Valencia, has now changed into a trendy bar attached to a boutique hotel. No trips planned to Bavaria at the moment however I am off to Koblenz/Koln next month; cannot wait to meet my friends from a 'local' who I believe experienced London earlier this week! Might fit in a visit to Koln Weidenpesch for the horse racing for one of the top German two year old races; equivalent of the Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster? Will also be able to watch FC Bayern against Celtic Glasgow in Irish boozer right next to my hotel; better keep my allegiance to myself!

13. SwanHills

BK: Will send you a PM with address and easiest way to get there.....................

14. SwanHills

15. SwanHills

Cyclonic likes this.
  16. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

They made a movie about it. The Man Who Saved The World. 2014. Costner.

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The N Koreans would do the same

18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Does anybody know what time the World ends on Saturday? It is supposed to be 33 days after the total Eclipse across America on August 21st.

It is foretold in the Old Testament:
    It is too late to send Bruce Willis to blow up Nibiru, especially since Nasa cannot even see it...

19. bayernkenny

At 11.59 when certain inhabitants of my country and 'visitors' to my homeland display all that is moronic, childish, regressive and negative about the human condition.

Problem is that I will be glued to the TV screen praying (?) for a ********** victory!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  20. SwanHills

Yes, anyone remember "The End Of The World" sketch by the Beyond The Fringe guys?

bayernkenny likes this.