1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Hull City Southern Supporters Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by RichardG, Oct 6, 2017.

1. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

Brian was one of my 20 votes, but alas he didn't quite make the cut (was joint 21st for what it's worth). All 20 inductees are worthy of the honour, but I do wish that Nobby had been included if I'm being honest. His two spells at the club were terrific, and as you say, his transfer policy in the 80s was little short of astonishing. I've had the pleasure of a couple of in-depth chats with Brian too. He's a genuinely fascinating bloke with a deep passion for City.

As I've said elsewhere we'll add more inductees every year. My hope is three a year eventually, to keep a decent balance and not cheapen the honour, but we'll do more than that in 2018 just to fill it a little. How many that will be is yet to be decided but hopefully it will be enough for Horton, Houghton, Butler, Jensen, Skipper and one or two others to make the cut.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  2. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Alan Mullery rhapsodises over Horton when he managed him as a player in his autobiography.

Always remember passing by the dressing room window at Queensgate when City had played poorly in the first half of a friendly against Brid and he was giving them a right rollicking. He ended with "It's like the ****ing QE2 out there!". Still perplexed over that one.

RichardG likes this.
  3. Jimmy Graham's bald head

Jimmy Graham's bald head Well-Known Member

What position did Simon Dakin come?

4. RichardG

Bottom of the lift shaft.

5. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

It's weird, growing up my heroes were Willo, Mike Edwards Greavesy, Brabin, and others of that time; But i guess when looked at in the history of city they're not very good in comparison.

6. Tuckin

Tuckin Well-Known Member

All good servants in the context of the time (especially Brabs in the Great Escape) - but yes, that stretch covered 8 of the total 10 years City have spent in the bottom flight.

7. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Turning circle thereof, perhaps?

8. RichardG

I think the 90s were the club's lowest ebb. We were relegated twice, nearly went under several times, and were run by the well-meaning but limited (Chetham, Fish), the petulant and odious (Lloyd, Wilby) and the downright criminal (Hinchliffe, Buchanan). The players we could attract reflected that.

Of the names you mention, Greavesy and Brabs were in the long list. The former I didn't really expect to get near the top 20 but I know - given what a truly great bloke he is and the committed performances he put in week in, week out - a lot of people still think very highly of him (and rightly so). With Brabs, I think you can make a claim for him being the most important player in the club's history. Not the greatest, certainly not the best, but the most important. I'm sorry to mention my book (I am, really!) but I've spoken to a lot of the players from the Great Escape and they can't praise Brabs highly enough. Many think that without him we'd have gone down, regardless of how good some of the other players we attracted at that time were. If that is true - and, of course, it will forever remain conjecture - then I think within the history of Hull City Brabs is a hugely important player.

The heroes from your youth should never be diminished with what came before or after anyway. If they're the ones that had you fall in love with the club, then I'd say that they're personal greats at the very least.

9. Barchullona

I thought that. But the whole team?

They would take over 30 miles to come to a stop at full speed?

They were the fastest off their type?

Maybe it had recently had a rudder problem and had been going round in circles? Or it had been left rudderless? Though I can't remember hearing about that at the time. Will have to have a look on Google.

10. Jimmy Graham's bald head

Jimmy Graham's bald head Well-Known Member

Cracking post. When I think of the City players I've truly idolised (admittedly through the eyes of a boy / teenager) it's the ones mentioned here as well as the likes of Neil Mann, Richard Peacock, Bobby Dewhirst, Alan Fettis, Linton Brown. They're never going to feature in a list like this but given it was them (or the time that they were playing) that made me truly fall in love with the club I'll always look on them more fondly than some of the historical or modern day heroes.

RichardG and Walter Sobchak like this.

11. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

QE2.
    Moving at a sedate pace, all the time in the world. No hurry.

FFS I'm too good for this forum.

12. Barchullona

QE2 on crossing to New York was the fastest passenger vessel going. It could go faster in reverse than Cunard's new liners.

13. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

The passengers

14. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Different leg each time allegedly.

15. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Better late, than never...

16. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

The Club is proud to announce the creation of the Tigers Hall of Fame, with its inaugural inductees scheduled to be revealed at an opening event in February 2018.

The Hall Of Fame will honour players, coaches and other connected figures in our 113-year existence who have played an outstanding part in forming and maintaining the Club’s wonderful history.

In order to select the inductees, the Club have formed a Hall of Fame Selection Panel comprising of:

Senior Tigers representative
    Hull City Official Supporters Club representative
    Hull City Supporters Trust representative
    Phil Buckingham Hull Daily Mail
    Trevor Boanas Hull City Vice-President
    Sean Royce KCOM Executive Vice-President
    Joe Clutterbrook Hull City Commercial Manager

The panel will soon meet to shortlist a possible twenty candidates, which will then be whittled down to a final five who will all be honoured at the launch event to be held at the KCOM Stadium on Thursday 1st February.

The event will also be attended by around 25 Club legends along with current Tigers Head Coach Leonid Slutsky, giving a great opportunity for supporters to meet their heroes - past and present - with all profits from the night to be donated to WWF as part of our charity partnership.

There will also be an exclusive auction on the night with some truly unique money can’t buy prizes donated by the Club and its partners all in aid of the WWF’s campaign to double wild tiger numbers. Ticket details and packages for the event will be announced in due course.

With an endless list of possible inductees - we want your thoughts on who should be included in the initial five to be honoured by the Club. Let us know on Twitter using the hashtag #THOF18.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  17. RichardG

Yes, interesting... Wonder where they got the idea from. Be interesting if some of those at odds with the club are elected (there are some who will be candidates who want as little as possible or nothing to do with the club). But it is overdue and I'm glad the club is doing this. You can't honour the club's greats enough.

18. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

We (HCST) approached them a few months ago about the HoF idea after it was suggested by a member. They said at the time they were already looking at doing it but not imminently. I guess you guys were probably well on the way to yours at the time, but I think it's nothing more than a coincidence that they've announced it just after yours.

19. RichardG

I have a few feelings on the timings, PLT, none of which really matter if I'm being honest. There is undoubtedly room for such things to run concurrently, however. And ours will take a very different format to the official one run by the club and the HCST.

20. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Well yours actually mentions the name of the club for starters.

Newland Tiger and Tuckin like this.