1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Utd pool arsenal nightmare run and 7/9. Well done.

3. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

WHAT
    A
    SECOND
    HALF

that was a 1 nil thrashing

CECH saved them from humiliation

4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

No voice...but am still singing with 2 very happy girls <cheers>

5. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Absolutely massive 3 points, that.

7 points from 9 against teams in the top 6. Well done lads!! <applause>

6. Imagine Whinger will be at his myopic best..... <laugh>

7. Rocky blue army

I'm not religious but I think harry kane is god <laugh>.fecking awesome

8. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Looking forward to the interviews.
    And up to 3rd.

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Some of his decisions certainly demonstrate that. Lacazette through the middle when they're chasing an equalizer? Does he think all French strikers are Giroud avatars?

10. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

You have to acknowledge sometimes when things don't go all "Spursy". It didn't, and the only reason that they had those opportunities at the end was because of the ridiculous 4 minutes added time. Where the hell did that come from? If they'd scored after say 2 minutes extra then that would have been extremely dodgy. We deserved better than 1-0, and what a great sequence of results.

11. humanbeingincroydon

Here's a Narrative for the hacks

Arsenal failed to score even with their major January signings
    Spurs won even though their major January signing never got off the bench

Also...

12. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Well. Depressing result from my point of view, but in truth, can't complain in the slightest.

Second half, you guys came out and looked like a team reborn. Your relentless energy, pressing and combination play when attacking us was seriously impressive. Overpowered & outnumbered us in midfield, too. Sanchez and Vertonghen marshalled Aubameyang very well. Ozil was nowhere to be seen. Mkhitaryan couldn't cross a ball to save his life. A massive part of this result I feel is that your big players turned up and ours simply didn't.

When Kane scored early in the second half, I was eagerly anticipating our reaction. Expected us to go full throttle and make amends for that shoddy defending. We didn't. Part of that was because of how well your midfield retained possession and your defence being cool as a cucumber under pressure.

We were close to snatching what would have been a thoroughly undeserved point at the end, but it would have masked our shortcomings had any of Lacazette's attempts been goalbound.

The only positive is that this will be yet another nail in the coffin of Wenger's Arsenal career. We've already been making changes behind the scenes, where he's been forced to relinquish control of the club in certain areas. And in the Summer, once they finally realise just how far he's been holding us back, we can gradually start the rebuilding process properly and become a good team again. Because at the moment, we are pathetic.

A begrudging well done on your victory today. Thoroughly deserved. Sadly.

13. humanbeingincroydon

Those are some mighty big shoes that need filling

14. The defence were (apart from the last 2 minutes! <yikes>) completely awesome.
    Totally dominant and both Ben and Trips caused them problems going forward.

Can’t see the DoF getting a lookin for a while <laugh>

15. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Harry got the Man of the Match. My MotM was Dembele.Wow! He went round red shirts like they were stationary telephone poles.
    But the 1-0 had me nervous to the end........it should have been 5-0.
    It did give Whiner an excuse to choke on his lunch!!!!!!

16. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Lol! Nice try. Yeah - maybe the line isn't straight. Maybe it's not actually the exact millisecond the ball was played. You can't measure the exact angle Aubameyang is leaning. All true. Thing is that your argument boils down to "It might be different to how it looks". Well...yeah. But I'll go by how it looks, thanks. That's the best we have to go on. Maybe the lines of the pitch aren't straight. Why would that be more likely to show that he was less, not more offside? Maybe the millisecond of the photo isn't perfect - maybe it's early, maybe it's late. I know for sure that going by the best available evidence we have that Aubameyang's shoulder looks further forward than any part of any Spurs defender.

But a ludicrously tight call. Do we give linesmen credit when we get such close calls right? In a way I'm a bit reluctant to, to be honest cos I think sometimes the situations are so impossibly difficult to call that there's a huge element of luck when they get it right. So I would not have had any problem if that had not been given offside. The linesman couldn't possibly (I think) have known that Aubameyang was offside. But, it turns out, the linesman got lucky because it looks like it was, indeed, just offside.

Anyway - going by that game you are far bigger things to worry about. Absolutely no threat going forward. And it looks like every single one of the players you sold would improve that team. (Though tbf Aubemayang seemed to have a poor game and is better than we saw today). The long, slow decline is gonna be tough for you but trust me - once you finally get rid of Wenger and have to start playing Manager Russian Roulette then you'll know real pain for a few years! Wenger in/out is basically win/win for us.

So how would you rate Harry's goal today? Third best he's scored against Arsenal? Second? Which is your favourite? Try not to be too biased.

17. humanbeingincroydon

Reports suggest that we were just 38 people short of setting an all-time attendance record for the English football league

Let me guess, this is going to be used in the "bottlers" Narrative, isn't it?

remembercolinlee likes this.
  18. Rocky blue army

Very gracious in defeat fair play to you .I can honestly say I wouldn't have been if we had lost.<cheers>

19. Allledleykingsmen

Allledleykingsmen Well-Known Member

Get in. Brilliant second half by Spurs.
    Played with more intensity and i swear our fitness levels are a cut above most sides. Teams run out of steam against us, spaces become bigger and thats where we are at our best.
    Kane was magnificent, Dembele just a beast in midfield and Sanchez and Vertonghen were Rolls Royce at the back. Every one put in a great shift and to have picked up 7 points out of 9 against United, Liverpool and Arsenal is further evidence of what a great team we have.

Over the moon.

20. Just seen Wenger's interview on BT Sport.

For the first time, I am actually impressed with his honesty! The interviewer tried to rile him, by asking about Kane's jump, but Wenger said, "There was nothing in it. We have only ourselves to blame for that goal!"

**** me! It just shows that, sometimes, pigs do fly!