1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Nov 22, 2018.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Here's one for the armchair coaches

2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

it's amazing how little credit son is getting for his goal ... it's all about Chelsea being poor defensively...if a city or Liverpool player had scored it they'd be banging one out all week.

I honestly think that it was the best goal I have seen at a match I have been to. It was sheer class imho

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It's definitely up for there for me as well. I was at Selhurst Park when Dele scored that goal, that's still my favourite but Sonny's is probably a strong second - although saying that, Sonny's modified bicycle kick/ volley vs Swansea was also pretty ****ing special to witness.

And for what it's worth, it seems the BBC radio commentator enjoyed it, skip to 43 seconds if you only want to hear when Son starts the run, although it's more than worth listening to the whole thing :):

4. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

A goal out of the Jimmy Greaves book.

5. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Consistency is almost every thing, the other thing being openness.

The ref needs to be miked up so discussions can be heard. If the ref asks the question, "I think he played the ball first, then there was contact and the attacker went to ground too easily, am I wrong?" Then it is simple for the VAR ref.
    1 he can confirm the refs opinion
    2 he can say that the ref is wrong, the defender played the attacker first. In which case the ref could change his decision and award a penalty.
    3 he could say that the ref is wrong, the defender played the ball and there was no contact, in which case the ref could book the attacker.
    4 he can say that it is unclear, in which case the ref's original decision stands.

If the ref says "what do you think", then it will be a fek up. Might as well go straight to the studio and ask the pundits and postpone the game for half an hour.

If the ref says " I didn't see the incident", that is the only time the VAR ref should be asked to make a decision.
    Miking up would make it clear to the fans and press alike.

Basically the ref needs to describe what he saw, or thinks he saw and then get confirmation.

Notwithstanding the above, in the event of an incident off the ball that the ref does not see or in the event of a mass brawl, the VAR ref ought to be able to intervene.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  6. deedub93

If it had been Salah he would have been proclaimed the new Messiah. The mousers would have been dusting off the Cilla Black records and holding street parties. The match of the day studio would have had a cum-fest. It would have made Deep Throat look like the magic roundabout.

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

<laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.

8. The Bukake Broadcastng Company! <laugh>

9. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Goals like these ( Hutton as well on Sunday ) are beautiful to watch as they evolve.
    There are not enough of them because opposition players are taught to stop the player by any means before he gets close to goal.
    I heard pundits say that had that been Kante instead of Jorghino , he would have barged him into touch. A foul might have been given, no yellow and a piece of football beauty would not have happened.
    Sadly , that is how football works today and we miss out. Fernandhino does it all the time. As do plenty of other players and teams and they are told to do it by the coach.
    I'd like to see more cards given for the cynical foul that prevents the breakaway.

10. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I think "class" is the wrong word to use. He's an incredibly skillful player but a player that only turns up every other season and doesn't play for managers he doesn't like has no class.

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

For me, any foul that isn't an attempt to win the ball should be a yellow card, at least. If you're not genuinely trying to win the ball, then it's a cynical action intended to disadvantage an opponent. Surely, that's what the booking for shirt pulling is attempting to address?

You don't hear the expression 'professional foul' any more. Less of those would make the game a better spectacle.

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

This is well worth a watch. I'd forgotten how good Aurier's tackle on Hazard was [8.39]. More of that please, Serge. It's all there, he just needs to play at that level more often.

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

They may even have combed their taches?

14. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

It's not an image you want to look too deeply into. We're talking Hansen going down on Lawrenson, Danny Murphy with the reach around. Frankly I wish you'd never typed that.
    Is it?

15. "Thanks for that Brian"

It was for me, man.

please log in to view this image

SpursDisciple and deedub93 like this.
  16. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Haven't listened to football on the radio in ages but that brings back some memories as we never had Sky growing up. Particularly the first one, hearing the crowd go mad while the commentator's trying to piece it together and you're trying to create a mental image of what happened. If you can't get to the match then watching it on TV is obviously preferable but you can't beat the drama of footie on the radio.

17. deedub93

Didn't have sky growing up? Luxury, I didn't have a television growing up, not until the World Cup final in 66 anyhow. My step father bought a second hand tele from a 'bloke in the pub' for the match, and the picture was so bad I was supporting the fekking Germans for the first half. <laugh>

18. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

You were lucky.

19. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

"In my day, we had to wait 6 months for local cave painter to finish the mural of the match before we could find out the score. But my, what a player that Thog Scrunchface was, they don't make them like that anymore."

This is what you lot sound like. Us kids, bopping around with our walkman's and Tamagotchis, are allowed to feel nostalgic to y'know :p

20. deedub93

Cave painter....Cave Painter...you had a cave? We used to dream of having a cave...

Edit: what is a Tamagotchi?