1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread 2016/17 Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by astro, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Would all this be feasbile with a football stadium build first, then track install for the games, then uninstall after?

Or is it build for the games in the first place, then uninstall afterwards, i.e. Everton's first season will be 2023-24?

I need to sort out my schedule for when I'm supposed to start #choking

Let's say a year for transition and then a couple more to start seeing the benefits of the new stadium, and Everton are due to challenge for CL by 2026-27...

2. moreinjuredthanowen

I think its not really a huge issue par se... but...

you have to have enough room in the design for the javelin events etc so the full pitch and 400m track is a known qty that does seem to me to lend itself to ending up with a ground like city or west ham.

In one case there (city) the ground was done right and track came out and more seats went in.

In west hams case it was an after thought.

I think if theres a "chance" at taking the commonwealth games off whoever and borrowing this ground then the designs will be compromised a bit but not majorly. Sadly the council has a long history of sticking it oar in and did so on stanley park for long enough that it held us up in getting CPos at anfield.

I distinctly remember consistent shouts for ground sharing etc

I would contend that in the end the council have to get tory government approval to underwrite this but its evertons money and everton paying it back so... well...

3. moreinjuredthanowen

I don't think you can build a great football stadium then gut it to place a running track. I think ideally you'd build the think if these games are happening for them then convert after.

I dunno though.

4. astro

astro Well-Known Member

The Tories will want to know why money is being invested in Liverpool that could be being used to subsidise bonuses for bankers in London instead

jenners04 and saintKlopp like this.
  5. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

There's nothing to suggest that the council involvement is going to compromise the build at present though, that's an assumption. Whilst the council have helped facilitate this so far, let's not forget that they're being rewarded with a £4.4m per annum payment for the privilege. So it's a mutually beneficial financial arrangement and not a one way street.

The current timeframe is for completion for the 20/21 season, which is 6 years prior to the games (unless Liverpool end up standing in for the 22 games) which would mean the stadium will have been open for years as a football venue before the games were held there.

6. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Joe's comments were about 2026 games only not the possible 2022 bid?

7. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Joe himself hasn't passed comment on it as far as I'm aware.

He has put Liverpool's hat in the ring for 2022 though.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

My understanding as really the 2022 one is the matter of convenience and hope.

If it were the later I hope you are not coming to beg for a place to play while your ground is being rigged out/ re done for these games.

you can **** off down to your HQ in salford to play.

:)

9. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Their owners also have the Emirates Stadium.... **** me is there any **** stadium they aren't associated with?

10. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

a
    It should just be a football stadium build imo but looking at the proposed contract,Joe wants it to be a key part of the CG bid so there's a more than likely chance a track will be part of it. Will that be a permanent track so Joe can boast that Liverpool have a world class athletics stadium, I don't know but he has his eye on his mayoral delivery projects for the city so who knows. Let's not forget that Liverpool might not secure the 2022 CG. If that happens then it's pushed on another 4 years by which time the stadium will be built and already in use.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

IMo he cannot cos theres simply not any money backing that permanent track. It will be like the eastlands ground. 30k max capacity with tract in and some temprary stands closer to pitch that get removed if bid wins.

I think its doable if its done right with the prime focus being football.

IMO the biggest issue is getting funding and getting started. just like we found with our ****es.

12. johnsonsbaby

There is mate. Design plans have to be agreed with LCC, Kirkdale Ward residents and are subject to ''a heritage impact assessment and townscape and visual impact assessment .... early pre-planning meetings with the local planning authority and Historic England to inform decision making at an early stage ... Liverpool’s WHS Status will be considered again at the 41st Session of the World Heritage Committee in Krakow in early July 2017. It is recognised that this new Stadium project may potentially add further risk to Liverpool’s current WHS status however LCC believes, as is demonstrated above, that there is room for both UNESCO WHS status and growth in the City’s economy in this way. ''

That looks like a few hoops to jump through on design elements.

13. johnsonsbaby

The council are firmly in the driving seat on this new stadium, Joe's assured that by acting as guarantor. The location alone puts all sorts of caveats on the design it would be a real shame if Joe messed this up in his eagerness to be 2022 ready. He's already said the stadium is key to the bid .... who knows ...

14. moreinjuredthanowen

I dunno about that or not really. Outside my area really. I would presume that the persons ponying the money up will really have most of the say. I thin kthe 2022 thing is highly opportunistic but I also feel that as it is everton have got a good bit of help that might not have been there otherwise. As i said idon't really know.

15. moreinjuredthanowen

If i were reading that i would be more worried about the whole area regeneration rather than just the stadium part? no?

16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Personally, I think the aim for it being complete for the start of the 20/21 season is ambitious. The planning application won't go in until late this year, and even if it sails through, it'll be Spring 2018 at the earliest before work can start on filling in the dock.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

I would agree. Its what.. 4 years to then right? You'd need to clear the site and have all planning etc done within next 12 months to make it happen. If you can't even start til 2018 to make ready I think building the entire thing in what amounts to <24 months is really ambitious yes.

18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Dan Meis (who's in London today, presumably meeting with Moshiri) has described the design as being nothing like any other stadium in existence.

His brief (which was given to him not far off a year ago) will have taken account of both the site and the skyline impact imo.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

Is the pitch a rectangle :)

maybe we can send him the G&H plans they where "nice" too.

there are many iconic and unique stadia round the world however If it looks better than the stamford bridge toilet bowl proposal thats a start.

20. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

That's a shocker isn't it.

I hope it's nothing akin to that carbuncle.

There's limits to what you can do with stadia, but the prime part of Meis's brief was the atmosphere and he's been around the World looking at different stadiums designs and how the atmosphere is best created. I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.