1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A win, but an unconvincing one - My thoughts on the West Brom game

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

I thought Sissoko was wasteful today
    passed the ball straight to a WBA player on 3 occassion in the first half alone
    his two shots at goal were like back passes
    Janmaat played well down the right and he had good cover from Taylor

2. Heed

Heed well known cheat

If ever there was a convincing 1 - 0 win, it was this.

Heroes ONE and ALL.
    10 out of 10 for every last one of them.

I don't get the negativity and bickering, but, everyone to their own I suppose.

3. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Agreed.
    I'm staying positive so the Toon can feed off my vibe. I'm like the stay puft marshmallow man out of ghostbusters.

Ellis Short Is likes this.
  4. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Alas, if only there was more positivity from some fans for the players to feed off.

That said. the crowd was positive today.

Mitro could have been forgiven, if his head had gone down when the keeper made that early save from him.
    But he didn't and showed a lot of character with the goal and his overall display.

5. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

Had to win today. WBA were total toss however. Good to be out of the bottom three. Matters not really though got to keep going. Villa winning was a good result for us.

6. NoNewsNUFC

NoNewsNUFC Active Member

On the flip side, one day we will batter someone, as we did Norwich. When it clicks and we put all the chances away we will win by 4 or 5.

Hopefully that goal for Mitro will do his confidence a world of good.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  7. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Best we've played in ages. We were of course allowed to but who cares, a much needed win. A clean sheet too. The holy trinity of Colo, Saylor and Tiote. I'm not stupid enough to think it will be repeated against stiffer opposition. We are ****e. Townsend was good, a threat all day.

8. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Shelvey has probably paid off his fee with the assists to win us the last two home games. Those 6 points are massive. Have to say I think the doubters are wrong. Not a world beater but can hold his own in mid table. Clearly consistency will be the issue.

9. Travelsick07

Travelsick07 Well-Known Member

Shelvey is a good player to have when you're in a game and have the ball. But when you're not in game and don't have the ball he's not. So going away to Chelsea I'd rather go with Saivet and Tiote in the middle and either Shelvey ahead of them instead of Gini or no Shelvey at all. Shelvey is not going to get that space against Chelsea, or most other away matches. That's what the manager gets paid to do, to make informed decisions such as this. McClaren won't tho. And eventually Shelvey will get sent off in an away match for a dumb foul and miss the following home match.

10. Blacker-than-Knight

WBA were ****e, we should have done better than 1-0, still far too soon to get carried away.

11. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

A win is a win. 3pts for a 1-0 victory as for a 10-0 win. Spare a thought for our U.18 team. At home to Everton yesterday and they got mullered 8-0. In the week, Newcastle 0 Everton 11

12. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

It was a convincing win with an unconvincing scoreline.

Not one player on the park played badly. Even Gini, who sems to be getting some stick on this thread, did what we have been asking him to do. He got stuck in yesterday and did a hell of a lot of the ugly stuff very well.

13. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

That was the most convincing performance
    I think he's better than Henderson, and Liverpool were using the brains in their arse when they decided to let one go and sign the other for £20 million.

Really good player, great vision, good ability on the ball, I think signing Townsend with him was inspired, as yesterday proved.

Wasn't completely clear on why almost every cross was a low cross though? I mean, I know Mitro is **** in the air, but Gini is decent with his head.

14. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Shelvey and Townsend, like all players that come to Newcastle, really, will be a success here if they have the right attitude. They can knuckle down and become established England internationals or they can mope and feel hard done by that they aren't playing in the Champions League or whatever and become also rans and just collect the big fat cheque every week. Same goes for Tiote. Same goes for Wijnaldum. Same goes for Mitrovic. Same goes for the lot of them, past, present and future. The ball is in their court.

haslam likes this.
  15. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying but
    a) Chelsea aren't clicking yet and weneed to take the game to them, sitting back is what they will want us to do as their heads will drop if we come at them - they may muller us but that could happen whatever we do
    b) Think our best chance in open play is a quality diagonal long ball to Sissoko/Wij/Aarons/Townsend cutting in from the wing OR a weighted through-ball. If Shelvey isn't playing I'm not sure anyone is capable of doing that for us.