1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Advocaat: I’ll decide on Sunderland future before Thursday

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, May 24, 2015.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Advocaat: I’ll decide on Sunderland future before Thursday
    please log in to view this image

Dick Advocaat at Stamford Bridge today
    [email protected]
    17:58Sunday 24 May 2015
    0HAVE YOUR SAY
    Dick Advocaat has indicated that his future will be resolved before the Thursday cut-off point that he had set for himself.

Advocaat presided over the final game of his short-term tenure in today’s 3-1 defeat, as Sunderland ended their campaign in 16th spot.

Sunderland have made an offer to keep the 67-year-old at the Stadium of Light, with Advocaat holding fresh discussions with Black Cats chairman Ellis Short after the clash at Stamford Bridge.

But there are fears that Advocaat will go ahead with his plans to retire after he flies home to Holland to speak with his family tomorrow.

Advocaat said last week that he would let Sunderland know of his decision by next Thursday, but the ex-Rangers boss says there could be a resolution even sooner - potentially by Wednesday.

“I hope to make it as quick as possible because the club must know,” said Advocaat.

“They have to go on as well one way or the other way.

“We’ll see. It is not up to me.

“They have already offered me two or three years, but I have to be honest with myself and everybody what I will do for the future.”

If today’s defeat does prove to be the final game of Advocaat’s decorated managerial career, then he will reflect happily on his one and only taste of Premier League football after fulfilling his remit of keeping Sunderland in the top flight.

He added: “I have been in several leagues and I have managed national teams as well - Holland etc - and four years with Rangers.

“But this was great.

“It was difficult as well because it is better if you start at the beginning (of the season) because then they know what they have to do.

“When we came in, we had to tell them there’s only one way, and that’s my way.

“The players adapted really, really quick and their commitment to the club was really great.

“They did it and I’m really proud of them.”

2. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

“We’ll see. It is not up to me."

And there we have it.