1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Alex Smithies

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jan 19, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Alex Smithies: I love playing for QPR and want to stay here for many years to come
    11:45 19 January 2017

By Sean Gallagher, QPR correspondent

please log in to view this image

QPR goalkeeper Alex Smithies wants to sign a new contract at the club

QPR goalkeeper Alex Smithies believes he is in the form of his life and says he would be delighted to extend his stay in W12.

The 26-year-old, whose contract expires in the summer of 2018, has proved to be an outstanding acquisition for the Rs, having arrived from Huddersfield Town back in August 2015.

His form has not gone unnoticed, with Aston Villa sounding out the experienced shot-stopper in this transfer window, although Rangers are yet to receive a formal offer for his services.

As the Times revealed last month, there was also plenty of other interest in the highly-rated keeper last summer, but he wanted to remain at Loftus Road.

And Smithies, who has made close to 300 appearances in the Championship, has no desire to move on any time soon.

Indeed he is keen to sign a new long-term deal at QPR, and positive discussions have already taken place.

Speaking exclusively to this publication he said:“I’d be delighted to extend my stay here. I love playing for this club – the fans and the manager are really backing me.

“My family are settled too [in Windsor], and that’s vitally important for any footballer, so that’s great for me. I’m happy to continue playing for this club for many years to come.”

That will be welcome news for Holloway and QPR’s players, while the ex-England youth keeper is also a firm fans’ favourite.

While he has only picked up five clean sheets in his 26 appearances for the Rs this season, that does not tell half the story.

Smithies has been in inspired form throughout the campaign, and he feels he is performing as well as he has ever done.

“I’m really enjoying playing for QPR,” he added. “It’s inevitable that you have good and bad spells, but I think I’ve been really consistent this season.

“I might not have picked up as many clean sheets as I would have liked, but I feel my overall performance levels have been high, so that’s been really pleasing.

“I feel as though I’ve taken my game to the next level, so I’m feeling really content with everything right now.”

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport...ial_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons

Belfasthoop and Tramore Ranger like this.
  2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Great news. I think he's good enough to play at a higher level and would rather have him in goal than Man City's Claudio Bravo.

KooPeeArr and Tramore Ranger like this.
  3. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Didn't David seaman say that as well? I like him and hope he does commit long term.

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  4. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Those are the words we want to hear. That at least means he's hanging around for the rest of the season. But it's also good to know that he's enjoying his time there and that it's actually possible for players to be enjoying their time here.

Frome-Ranger and Tramore Ranger like this.
  5. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0137-clapp:emoticon-0137-clapp:emoticon-0137-clapp

Very pleased to read this!

Hoop-Leif and Tramore Ranger like this.
  6. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Delighted......best keeper we've had in years......

EscapeGoat and Hoop-Leif like this.
  7. The other R in Houston

The other R in Houston Well-Known Member

... and actually playing well!

8. RichardRanger

RichardRanger Active Member

On the surface very welcoming. The cynic in me says that this is asking for a pay rise or he might have to look elsewhere!

9. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks he is playing at his natural level? Whatever happened to his supposed move to Liverpool? I do not see him as a PL goalie because in my opinion, he's not good enough. He is better than Greeno and Cesar ever were but every now and then we concede goals that I feel he should save but doesn't.

10. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

All goalkeepers do though. When you look at some of the dross playing in the Prem he is definitely capable of playing for half the league.

EscapeGoat and finglasqpr like this.

11. Hoopington

Hoopington Active Member

Keepers that don't make any mistakes are a mythical beast I reckon.

igor60 likes this.
  12. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

It's also a myth, usually perpetuated by a commentator who has never played in goal, that a keeper should never be beaten at his near post.

13. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Active Member

Great news to hear. As someone else mentioned, he's the best keeper we've had for many years.

14. finglasqpr

The last one that was as good for me was Paddy Kenny.

15. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Like Griffin McMaster perhaps:-
    Griffin McMaster is an Australian footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for FC Bulleen Lions in the National Premier Leagues Victoria.

Hoopington likes this.
  16. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Kenny had one outstanding season during our Championship winning year and a decent following season in a side in a relegation battle, when he was in his 30's and at his prime for a keeper.......What age is Smithies? 25? 26? and he IMO is far ahead of Kenny in ability already, with another 8 to 10 years to reach his peak if he avoids injury. We should get him signed up to a new contract asap because before long Prem clubs will be sniffing around, I'd say that he's already better than the keepers at Swansea, Hull, Sunderland, West Ham, Boro, Watford, Bournemouth, Stoke, Palace, Liverpool.......

The last keeper who was at this level of ability in his mid 20's was Seaman who was good for us but bloody brilliant for Arsenal and England........

17. finglasqpr

Do you really think Smithies was as good as Seaman? He hasn't even played a Premiership game yet, never mind played for his country with such distinction as Seaman did. Paddy Kenny played a number of seasons in the PL and was also capped at International level on a few occasions (we'll forget the 5-2 against Cyprus which probably ended his international career). His shot stopping was as good as Smithies is but to me, although he made the odd mistake, he was less prone to making major mistakes. I suppose all players are only as good as other clubs see them and to date, the fact that a PL club hasn't come calling for his services or the fact that he hasn't been capped at underage level, tells me all I need to know. If and when that happens in the future, I may change my view of him.

18. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

No read what I posted again.....I said that the last keeper who was at this standard at Smithies age was Seaman, I didn't say anything about him playing Premier League games or International, from memory Seaman didn't get International recognition until he was with Arsenal........I'm not that bothered about what Kenny did before he came to us, I'm judging them on their performances for us alone.........otherwise someone will say the Ceasar was the finest keeper we had because of all the trophies he won elsewhere etc, when for us he was nowt short of a disaster, playing wise and financially.......

I rate the lad and believe he will go on to better things when he peaks in his late 20's early 30's.......

19. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Give him a pen, very quickly.

Tramore Ranger and QPR Oslo like this.
  20. kingdom hoop

kingdom hoop Active Member

bet he'd save it