1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic any Forum "family lawyers" for a small dollop of advice

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by WhittlingStick, Jun 30, 2015.

1. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

Hi , i don't yet want to divulge all the details on my current situation so appols if im a bit vague in places .
    However i would like to know a couple of things regarding a Will and the Executor that i couldn't find online .

1. i know the Executor is required by law to provide lots of things to beneficiaries , those holding assets and debtors but , does the Executor have to provide a copy of the will to listed beneficiaries or at least inform that one is present - as there is a timelimit to contest a will or the actions of an executor . estate was £710,000 before deductions if that matters

2. if we are only informed 7months and a day after probate how assets are divided (assumed by instruction of a will) is there an action that can be taken on the executor ?

thanks for any help / advice . . .

2. SimonGraysJacket

SimonGraysJacket Well-Known Member

Payne & Payne Solicitors (near Marks & Spencers) in Alfred Gelder Street, will see you for about £30 for half an hour.
    Would recommend them, its peanuts in the grand scheme of things, and they are very good.

3. WhittlingStick

defo worth it in this case - cheers for that

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

If you are a member of a trade union they generally offer an hour's free advice from a solicitor.

WhittlingStick likes this.
  5. WhittlingStick

I'm a member of USDAW thanks for the heads up , I'll have a look on their website for info

6. over18and legal

over18and legal Well-Known Member

This site is great.
    Fans helping fans<cheers>

Kempton likes this.
  7. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

I can ask the girl when she gets home tonight. Family law isn't her specialty but she often knows the answers to such things.

8. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Don't forget to mention that there may be significant differences between US and English law in the family law sphere.

9. ellewoods

I'm sure there is but she has said our law is based off English common law. Plus she went to Saint Andrews for a couple years taking English law classes while she was attending Colombia Law School in NY so she often knows answers about legal issues there. She was accepted to Harvard Law but she wanted to live in NY. She is also a fill in Judge, she may have no idea but she will tell me if she doesn't.

10. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Can she cook?

11. ellewoods

Yea she cooks, also she allowed me to retire at the age of 30 and now I just play farmer all day. And she is good looking. I think it was my award winning personality that sealed the deal.

12. tigerscanada

It is indeed based on English common law, but you have to remember family law is criminal :emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0105-wink:

13. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

How much do you want for her?

Kempton likes this.
  14. ellewoods

Haha it's really not that hard to find a girl like her. Just creat a free online dating profile, list what you want, and then you are good to go. That's all I did. I listed education requirements, politics, etc and had no problem finding a highly educated good looking girl who could care less about what I do with my day. She said after just a few dates that I could quit my job, I kept it for a few years.

15. ellewoods

She says they are probably required to give you a copy of the will but she doesn't know for sure and says rules like that vary by state even in the U.S. She said you should hire a lawyer.

16. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Crikey! Thought I was doing well when my wife said I could retire aged 46 while she carried on working for another 14 years in a well remunerated corporate capacity. I switched to almost full time charity work.

My actual retirement date was on July 4th 1986 - my independence day from corporate life!

Fez likes this.
  17. tigerscanada

Switch the meter on.

I should add, it's probably wise advice should the estate be significant, but the key is to set a cut-off date (based on billables from the lawyers) by establishing a "good-money-after-bad" check-point. Set a legal expense budget and stick with it. If at all possible, aim for a fixed price deal with the lawyer right up front.

If there is any suspicion that there may be "unfair play" going on in the background, by anyone, then a lawyer is essential, BUT, and I stress the BUT, the lawyers need to be pushed hard and the individual with the suspicions needs to be very sure and clear in directing their own lawyer, preferably having done enough research themselves to feed into the process.

My signature below says it all: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015