1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we all Leicester fans now?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Missing Lambo, Feb 3, 2016.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I don't do any football shirts these days. Maybe a football scarf. I was given a Southampton scarf by some Qatari students of mine when I took them to see Saints against Peterborough a few seasons ago. I left that scarf in a classroom in Yekaterinburg (Russia) when I was there for six weeks teaching in the spring of 2013.

I am sure my Russian friends would love a wall covered with the scarves of EPL teams so each child can adopt a different team. Whilst there, I did see one person with an Arsenal shirt and another one in a Liverpool top. I am sure when I go back there they will all be wearing Saints tops. <laugh> In reality it is likely to be Barca!

2. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

I love the way that EPL shirts pop up all over the place. I remember flying into Capetown where there were some guys up up a scaffold doing some work. 3 had United shirts, and 2 wore Citeh shirts. I question whether they were aware of the rivalry. I also remember wearing my Adidas hankie sleeves shirt in Bangcok and a woman exclaimed "Ah Liverpool". Seems a good reason not to go back to anything like those all red shirts.

3. SaintJabie

SaintJabie Active Member

If it can't be Saints this season, then I'd love to see Leicester win the title. It's gives hope to anyone who doesn't support one of the usual suspects.

4. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

I would be quite happy, like others, to see Leicester win the title just to annoy the usual top 6 and many of the pundits, also I like Ranieri who I think was harshly treated by Chelsea. Hmm what position are Chelsea in?

Am I now a Leicester fan? No I'm a slightly envious Saints fan.

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

A small case of it 'should have been us', but don't begrudge them. I'm too happy being a Saints fan.

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Honestly, I don't care where they finish. If they win the league then good for them but I highly doubt they will.

7. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Have a feeling the game with Citeh might well give everyone an idea of where they might end up .......... I'm rooting for them, but only because they're a bit like us and haven't bought a team ...................

8. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I think Leicester's starting XI is legitimately the best team in the Premier League. Of course that doesn't mean they will beat Man City as they are away (and have already lost to Man C at home), but I do think they will at least play Man City very tough.

Also, Man City is a six pointer so a loss would make it tougher mathematically. But even if that happens, I think they have the talent on their first team to win the title. The issue for me is whether their players can avoid injury and burn out, and if not whether they have the depth to withstand that.

Although looking at their schedule, if they get past the next two games in good shape their run-in doesn't seem too bad. And they won't be playing in League Cup and Champion's League like Man City will.

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Nice piece, and Jeremy Vine speaks for most of us in wanting Leicester to go on and win the league.

It is slightly different for Saints fans than for a Chelsea fan though, as we identify with the rags-to-riches element of the Leicester story far more than Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City or Arsenal fans will ever do, or even Liverpool or Tottenham fans with longer memories. Because we have never won the top division title, just like Leicester, we see their rise to the top not as something we have already achieved, but something we aspire to as well. Having been told repeatedly over the last couple of seasons that we can never break into the mystic realms of the top four, we see a club of comparable size and history doing just that, and it should give all of us, all Saints fans, and all supporters of the Stokes and Watfords of this world, hope for the future.

11. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

My grandson (aged 8) and I were talking about football last night when he asked me if Saints had ever won the Premier League. I replied, I think truthfully, that Saints had never won any league. My recall of all the promotions we've had (and I'm going back to the 50's) we were runners up. If anything underlined the scale of Leicester's achievements it was this. For the umpteenth time we watched Vardy score that goal and sat in wonder (and gratitude that Lovren no longer plays for us!).

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I think we won the 3rd division south, but not sure what year. It may have been earlier than 50s.

13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

We won Third Division South in 1921-22, but we won the whole of the Third Division in 1959-60.

fatletiss likes this.
  14. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Get in there! Citeh 0-1 Leicester

15. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Thanks. I knew one of the old'uns would have been there :emoticon-0110-tongu

16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Can't quite remember the first one!

fatletiss likes this.
  17. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Well, that was a bit of a statement. If anyone was still not convinced Leicester was legit before this, they should be now.

18. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Have you no soul:emoticon-0105-wink: ? Of course it only about Saints for a lot of us but I for one think it would be brilliant if they could pull it off. It would be one of those once in a lifetime achievements that you have to recognise and applaud no matter who you support.

If they win by a single point I'm more than happy that we gave it to them at St Mary's:emoticon-0132-envy:.

Lets be honest, they were excellent today and thoroughly deserve to be where they are.

I wonder how many Leicester fans put a bet on when they were 5000 to 1 at the start of the season?

Onionman likes this.
  19. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

20. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Even if it were only about Saints, I would root for Leicester City as I think them winning the title is much better for us than Man City.