1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Beginning Of The End For Lansdown ?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Redprintt, Feb 8, 2016.

1. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

But neither are we a minnow. Our gates this season with only three sides of the stadium puts us at about 14th highest.
    Where we lose out to many others is the lack of Prem parachute and the off the field income from modern stadia built some time ago while we dithered and just put seats on old terracing.

Maybe from the coming financial year we will be able to compete with at least those clubs who are well established in the Championship even if not with the "Paras"

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

I keep shouting with success the crowds would flock to the gate,with larger away attendances and more home fans 21000+ should be the norm in the championship,with the more attractive teams coming to town even more would come to the gate.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  3. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

It would be more than fair to say that SL does know a thing or two about finance- His empire has been built from nothing to what it is today for starters. As for running a football club, that is different and he has a team beneath him to operate that with him over seeing.
    We are, historically, a League 1 side that has spells in the Championship, with albeit, one in the old First division now nearly 40 years ago.
    We have found how hard it is, especially financially, to compete in the championship and frankly, if we were any higher, we would be murdered both on and off the pitch.
    It will take time, but foundations are there- Its not perfect and will no doubt be modified as we move on, but I do feel more confident with the set up that we have than be at the mercy of a foreign owner set up.

manxrobin likes this.
  4. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

That's just shows that football has gone mad

6. Premiershiporbust IV

Premiershiporbust IV Active Member

Oh yes we did, I was one of the 3,000 odd lowest post war crowd one absolutely FREEZING December evening in the bad old days in the early 80's. Can't remember who it was against other than it was a Northern club (Halifax/Darlington..?) but I do remember that we won. It was so cold, it took me a couple of days to warm up properly and I was in my teens then....

7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Now that's what I call a real supporter Prem and I'm glad I wasn't even aware of our predicament during those dark days for City. I suppose what we moan about based on our current happenings is not even in the same sphere of concern.

8. Premiershiporbust IV

I expect it would have been considered positively balmy in Canada....!

9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Believe it or not I suffered the same way, it was so cold, my saviour was a hot cup of Bovril, I used to stand in what we called the covered end and some times I felt so bloody lonely, I thought the average gate was about 4000 but didn't we all feel like a band of brothers and thank god for Terry Cooper..

10. Premiershiporbust IV

That we did Wiz, that we did. The old joke about shouting to the person stood nearest to you wasn't a joke back then, imagine the East End with 1,500 people or so in it...

On the flip side, I was also there the Saturday we stood 92nd in the football league and the crazy gang (old Wimbledon) who were top rolled into town only to leave with their tails between their legs having been beaten 4-0 (or maybe 4-1) in front of 11,000 odd. That day will stay in my memory forever...

11. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

We might have been huddled together to keep warm?
    Dark days but even though the phrase had not been invented then, we always believed that we would survive.
    And we knew we would come back that wintry Saturday afternoon when we beat the Gas in the FA Cup.

12. Premiershiporbust IV

Maybe cider, maybe. I remember that cup game very well. At the time, I was going to football with a certain Evil Post's sports editor's son and he got us tickets in the home stand...!!! (not the Tote End).. We were in there dressed up as a red Santas and seriously had to keep our mouths firmly shut when Martin Hirst scored the winner right at the end...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  13. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Doncaster we won 1-0 but I think we was in the old third division at that point. I only know because I can remember that night for the same reason as you it was the coldest I've ever watched football.

15. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I think the final score was 4-2. I was there too and if memory serves, we were 3-0 up at half time. I don't think Wimbledon had been beaten before that, at home or away and they went on to promotion.