1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Best and worst cup memories

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Bwood_Ranger, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Bored at work...

Mentioning an occasion I took an ex to see us lose 3-1 at home to Port Vale in the League Cup got me thinking of the many bad and some good cup memories. Being mid-twenties, I'm yet to see us go beyond the fourth round of the League Cup and have seen us make the fifth round of the FA cup once when I was about seven.

Good memory- new to the university of Birmingham seeing us win 1-0 at Villa in the League Cup in 2008. Also broke my freshers' week duck that evening.

Bad memory- Luton away, FA cup third round replay- the game was called off on the way there. Replay was replayed the following week. Luton didn't have a shot but a Zesh Rainman own goal ensured a 1-0 defeat in pissing rain.

QPR999 likes this.
  2. MKRanger71

MKRanger71 Active Member

Bad Memory - The milk cup final v Oxford for me - 14 yrs old had so much optimism after beating Chelsea and Liverpool on way there had really good seats on half way line and then team didn't even turn up- gutted

Strange but good memories don't tend to stick very well!!

QPR999 likes this.
  3. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Good memory - Beating Derby 1-0 in the FA cup 5th round at a heaving Loftus Road 1970 Attendance: 27,685
    Bad memories - Can't split these two - Milk cup final v. Oxford 1986 and League cup semi final v. Aston Villa at Highbury 1977 - Didn't turn up in either and lost both 3-0

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    QPR999 likes this.
  4. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Best - Liverpool on the way to the Milk Cup final. Worst - the final defeat itself against Oxford - still reeling from that defeat.

QPR999 and MKRanger71 like this.
  5. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Leicester at home quarter final FA Cup in 73 or 74.....they turned up with an all white change strip so we had to play in our away strip and they had an 18 year old debutant score twice and never heard of again. That was hard to take as we were a really good side and fancied us for the cup that year.

One of the best memories was from the same year when Stanley scored with the last kick of the replay against Coventry....

There will be others to be listed later.....

QPR999 and terryb like this.
  6. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Best WBA
    Worst, all the others.

7. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Worst memory Oxford Utd league cup final, I was working in Spain at the time, spent a fortune (for then) just to get there not to mention the extra work I had to do before to get the time off, only for the fuquers not to turn up.
    Best back of the north bank fa cup semi when that perfectly struck volley went in, well that's what it looked like

QPR999, kiwiqpr and QPR Oslo like this.
  8. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

Best memory isn't a win but the FA Cup QF against Liverpool in '89 always sticks in the mind. Wilkins (I have to say) smashed one in and the bar seemed to rock for the rest of the game. Shame we couldn't hold on and lost the replay, would have fancied us to beat Palace in the semi too!!

Worst memory, again there are plenty, Vauxhall Motors to name but one. However, my worst memory was from the early 90's, we had Man City at home, my mate didn't make it so was on my own, Michel Vonk (I think) scored and we lost 2-1. I decided to grab a burger walking back to the station, before I reached Kings Cross I had thrown up 3 times and had to jump off train with the ****s and spent the next 4 days recovering from food poisoning. (It put me off the burger van behind the Loft for years).

QPR999 likes this.
  9. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Best- Luton away in the 90's (I think), when they had to let us in as away fans or be banned from the cup. Very exciting and scary times both inside and outside the ground.

Worst - Oxford in THAT final

QPR999 likes this.
  10. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Highs - 1967, Clive Allen's winner at Highbury, Terry Fenwick's equaliser at Wembley, Chelsea away and both Liverpool games in 1986.
    Lows - Villa at Highbury, Oxford at Wembley and too many others to recount.

I'd have to say that, whilst the Oxford game was particularly bad, the rest of the weekend was spectacularly good.

QPR999 likes this.

11. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Oxford Milk Cup Final was awful. Luton away in a 4th round fa cup replay late eighties/early nineties. Waiting for somebody in the train station and 2 R's fans beside me got their faces slit with Stanley knives. The QPR fans dished out a bit of stuff themselves that night also. Terrible atmosphere. Haven't been back to Lootown since.

Good cup memory. The 1982 cup final. Went and got pissed that night.

Staines R's likes this.
  12. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Jan 76, replay at Newcastle, furthest I ever travelled to see us and never seen us play better than the first half yet we were 1-0 down to a breakaway goal. We hit the woodwork God knows how many times, Stan missed a penalty and although we equalised we got done 2-1. Co-incidentally they were the only team to beat us at Loftus Road that season 3-1 in the League Cup after we had led 1-0 early on. I hate Newcastle...

QPR999 likes this.
  13. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I persuaded a mate to drive me and my then girlfriend to Wembley for the '86 Milk Cup Final convinced that victory was in the bag after dispensing with Liverpool in the two-leg semis - two own goals wasn't it?

Bloody Trevor Hebberd. Went to my school too, didn't he!

QPR999 likes this.
  14. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I was going to add the same 2. Had brought family over from Norway for that LC final. Clive''s winner right in front of us all jam packed in the north bank, set up the knees up of all knees ups...

Wherever and rangercol like this.
  15. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I used to live a few miles from Luton, horrible place

finglasqpr likes this.
  16. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Best:
    Going mental in the north bank at Highbury when Clive Allen scored the winner right in front of us in the FA Cup semi against WBA.
    Worst:
    That milk cup final against Oxford and travelling back along the M40 alongside all their celebrating fans.

finglasqpr and QPR Oslo like this.
  17. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I wasn't about to see our success in 67, really loved the FA Cup run, but my best moment has to be the greatest goal of all time.....

Worst is the Milk Cup Final.....I'd not long left home, for a residential college in Yorkshire, so had all my new room-mates gathered around my TV, fully confident that we would win......how low can you sink in 90 minutes, and the ribbing I got from everyone lasted days <wah> <wah>

QPR999 likes this.
  18. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Milk cup 86, obviously.
    Clive AllenĀ“s knee in 82 was as good as OBZ day.

QPR999 likes this.
  19. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

Best 1967 League cup final, 1982 fa cup Semi final at Highbury.
    Worst 1986 Milk cup final.

QPR999 likes this.
  20. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

It goes without saying that The Milk Cup Final v Oxford is far and away the worse. Another one was at home to MK Dons when we were 4-0 down at one point.

The best is Highbury '82 with Allen's winner. Another game that stands out for me was when Stan got a hat-trick v FC Cologne under the Loftus Road floodlights in the UEFA cup in 1976. I was only 10.

Hoops Eternal and QPR Oslo like this.