1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bill Nicholson Arms

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by ShelfSideSpur, Jan 27, 2011.

1. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Exactly what did Vert strain? I saw him overstretch.

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Ankle ligaments

3. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I’m warming to the spectacle...
    of some of our rivals losing key players while we aren’t.

I had an Einstein moment, spending roughly 17 seconds working out why Africa can’t have their tournament in the summer the way Europe and South America do. "Their players won’t want to come home in the summer, since most of them live far away," I sez to myself. "Ah, but why would they want to come home when they’re being paid to be somewhere else on top of living there?" "Could it be sheer cussedness on the part of national football federations? Wouldn’t be the first time." "Oh yeah, it’s ****ing hot..."

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Djokovic out of the Australian Open losing to the world #117:shocked:

5. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Not always, everyone thinks Africa is hot. It is a big place, it's got deserts, they tend to be hot, mountains, the tops tend to be chilly, there's even a glacier in Uganda, not for much longer though with all of this global warming and once you go south of the equator the seasons reverse. Close to the equator it doesn't make much difference but further away, at the Cape for instance Jan and Feb is Summer and July and August is winter. Most places have a wet and a dry season although in the last couple of years where I am, Eastern DR Congo the wet seasons have been drier than usual with the dry seasons a bit wetter.

A lot of the land is elevated. 1000 m (3300 ft in old money) is probably most comfortable. 20 to 30 degrees C most of the time. Very few cold blooded creatures as well. Once you are down to about 900 m the crocs and snakes start. Be very careful walking home from the pub/clubs. Their bites are worse than their barks! If you are lucky enough to have tarmac, it stays warm at night after having the sun on it all day and provides a comfortable habitat for all kinds of nasties. A torch is a must. A big F-Off 4x4 is better. I'm at 2400 m, never gets above 25 degrees and never below 6 degrees. I use a heater in my room every night.

I guess that they have their tournament then because it's in their closed season. It's also a good shop-window for players wanting to move to Europe.

6. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The latest Deloitte Money League report is out :

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pag.../articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

Spurs are still ranked 12th wealthiest in Europe.
    Quite a statement of the PL deals that Spurs earned 45m Euros more than Atletico Madrid
    (who have performed a lot better in La Liga / UEFA land of late) , and that Deloitte reckon
    nearly every PL club will soon be in the top 30 list.

7. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

8. redwhiteandermblue

You realize you’re making my stupidity look even stupider? :cheesy:

Clearly you know more about the subject. I would still wonder, however true it is that there are plenty of temperate places in Africa, whether the heat still isn’t a factor in playing the tournament during the winter. The leading footballing nations include the Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Senegal and more recently Algeria. While there are places to have a tournament in the summer, many countries would not be able to host comfortably. I don’t know, actually, but I’d be interested in seeing more information on the subject.

9. redwhiteandermblue

10. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

So basically our entire midfield is in the PL top 20 at the minute? Sounds about right. Some surprising names in there though. Payet? Really? If they HAD to pick a player from that mob surely it should've been their winger Antonio?
    And after roughly 3 good performances the entire season, I can only guess that Pogba was swept into the list on a tidal wave of pundit semen.

I'll leave you all to enjoy your breakfast with that image burnt into your cornflakes. Maybe don't use milk...

Lovearsenalcock and deedub93 like this.

11. deedub93

Only a matter of time before Man U offer 99 Squillian for him but he goes to Really Maddogs then.. Cue Marca tap ups in the summer.

12. deedub93

A Semen Tsunami with Pogba surfing on top then CK? Yuk.

13. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Marco van Basten, FIFA's Technical Director, has suggested doing away with yellow cards and the offside rule.
    Jurgen Klopp questioned whether he was being serious, before suggesting that he go away and invent his own game.
    Rennes coach Christian Gourcuff was slightly less charitable, calling the ideas "immeasurable bullshit"! <laugh>

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

No offside rule in one half at Old Trafford. Seems to work well for them.

deedub93 likes this.
  15. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

<laugh>

16. deedub93

Better to tweak the offside rule to 'clear daylight' between the last defender and the attacker rather than as it is now.

Do away with yellow cards and have a 10 minute sin bin might be a good idea. Currently if a defender 'takes one for the team' there is no advantage to the opposition unless the defender gets a second yellow.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  17. bigsmithy9

Why can't they leave our bloody game alone?!

18. deedub93

There have been some good changes over the years Smithy. The goalkeeper not being allowed to pick up a back pass is one. Surely you remenber l'arse scoring after 15 minutes and the spending 75 minutes wasting time passing it back to the keeper? My old Grandfather use to say 'boring old Arsenal".

19. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

But I used to enjoy shoulder barging the goalie into the net when he held the ball. First Cup Final I ever saw Nat Lofthouse took the goalkeeper and the ball and put them both in the net to score. <badger>

deedub93 likes this.
  20. bigsmithy9

Alf Ramsey,of Push and Run fame,received or won the ball in defence,passed back to Ted Ditchburn in goal who gave it back to Alf and away went Spurs.
    It's the managers who make it boring with their defensive instructions....ala George Graham and Pulis to mention a few!

: #spursy