1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bouncing Back - How Easy Is It?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Cortez91, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ull-bounce-back-to-make-premier-league-return

Hull, Middlesbrough and Sunderland are all targeting an immediate return to the Premier League. But recent history suggests that bouncing back isn't so straight forward...

In the last 10 years, only nine of 30 relegated teams (30 per cent) have achieved promotion back from the Sky Bet Championship at the first time of asking. And of those, four have had to fight their way back through the play-offs to regain their top-flight status.

Newcastle have twice finished as Championship winners (2009/10 and 2016/17), while Burnley also went up as victors in 2015/16. West Brom (2009/10) and Birmingham (2008/09) have gone up as runners-up the season after the drop.

Hull (2015/16), Norwich (2014/15), QPR (2013/14) and West Ham (2011/12), meanwhile, have all waded their way through the play-offs to make an immediate Premier League return.

Last season Norwich and Aston Villa were two of the favourites, alongside Newcastle, to regain promotion, but both missed out on the play-offs entirely, finishing eighth and 13th. In fact, in the last decade the average finish for relegated clubs is 8.1 - two places short of even a play-off finish.

Key stats - last 10 years
    No of clubs to make immediate PL return - 9 out of 30
    Av Championship position in year after relegation - 8th
    No of clubs to be relegated again - eight
    No of clubs to drop to League Two - two

Down again
    For some clubs it gets even worse. While only Wolves in the last decade have suffered back-to-back relegations to find themselves right down in League One, seven other clubs have tasted life in the third tier since being relegated from the Premier League - Wigan (twice), Bolton, Blackburn, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Sheffield United and Charlton.

Blackburn find themselves two levels below the top flight for the first time since 1980 this season, where they join Charlton, Blackpool and Portsmouth.

The latter two clubs, meanwhile, found themselves dropping as far as League Two within five years of Premier League life, but promotion last season suggests they could be on their way back.

Who's confident?

All three relegated clubs find themselves among the favourites to return to the Premier League. New Middlesbrough boss Garry Monk, in particular, is in confident mood ahead of the new season.

"If things go well, we'll be back to the Premier League," he said at his unveiling earlier this summer. "But there's a big process to go through if you're going to achieve that. It has to be down to the ambition of everyone.

"That's already been made very clear by the owner, but I think he's also very smart and experienced to know there's a process he has to go through, in the same way all of us [do]."

Hull and Sunderland also have new managers installed but, while the Black Cats have gone for Simon Grayson and his wealth of experience in the Football League, Hull have opted for Leonid Slutsky, who has never managed outside of Russia.

Good news for Sunderland fans is that Grayson, 47, has won promotion with every single club he has managed in his career so far.

"Anyone can beat anyone on any given day in the Championship and you have to be at it, full tilt in every game and earn the right to win every football match because of the competition and the size of some clubs," he said.

"You have former European Cup winners in this division and teams that have been around the top end of the Premier League at times. But the names and what they have done in the past are irrelevant. It is about the present and what you want to achieve now."

Slutsky, meanwhile, will aim to take inspiration from David Wagner last season. Huddersfield defied the theory that you need experience of English football to win promotion to the Premier League, becoming the first foreign boss in history to steer a side successfully through the Championship play-offs.

The Russian has been in England as a guest of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich since January which should help him hit the ground running, and he is also feeling positive about Hull's chances.

"I have talked about our targets for [the] season," he said. "Of course, that's promotion. A lot of players are really ready to help Hull to promotion."

Confidence aside, it remains extremely unlikely that all three will secure an immediate return to the Premier League, and it will be fascinating to see who comes out on top in the scrap to get out of the second tier.

Don't miss the start of the Sky Bet Championship season on Sky Sports Football, with Sunderland facing Derby from 7pm on Friday night, while Hull travel to Aston Villa on Saturday from 5.15pm.

2. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Ask Norwich and Villa fans...There are around a dozen clubs who are in with a decent shout of 3 places....Work out the Maths..

dennisboothstash likes this.
  3. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

4. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Swindon and Coventry just dropped into League 2 and Oldham are in League 1 with Bradford.

5. Kevin Francis

Kevin Francis Well-Known Member

Alan partridge did it

6. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

Whilst I think the club is being mismanaged from above, team-wise I don’t subscribe to the everything is an absolute disaster/hilarious crayon joke.

I have no doubt that some who subscribe to that ‘theory’ are also ones who were sucking rabidly on Allam cock until relegation in 2015, whilst a minority of rationals were warning and opposing the machinations of the regime.

I’m unsure of how we’ll do. Bar the left back position, I do think we have a decent team – a team who could hit the top six. But, to do this, we need quality in depth – so far lacking.

If we can get reasonable depth of the standard of the first team, we will do well. I also, without proof admittedly, believe in Slutsky.

I get the feeling Boro will **** it up too. They seem far too smug.

7. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Good post.

8. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Barring the left back position I agree that the first eleven is not bad. What I have issue with is the lateness of recruitment, which after last season the Allams just haven't learnt from their mistake. Moreover the depth of squad is just not deep enough as you say, and unless that is addressed we will struggle to finish anything better than mid-table.

It seems that Ehab is trying to emulate the Watford/Huddersfield way, and try to get promotion using the loan market. TWT whether it works, but suspect we need a lot of luck with injuries to stand a chance.

P.S. Have a similar feeling about Boro, they seem just too cocky at the moment.

Leon T Trout AFC likes this.
  9. Chazz Rheinhold

Did Huddersfield use a lot of loans John? Didn't know that.

10. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

Name From Date until Ref.
    1 July 2016 CF
    please log in to view this image
    Elias Kachunga FC Ingolstadt 04 End of Season [16]
    5 July 2016 CM
    Aaron Mooy Manchester City End of Season [17]
    11 July 2016 GK
    Danny Ward Liverpool End of Season [18]
    15 July 2016 AM
    Kasey Palmer Chelsea End of Season [19]
    6 January 2017 LW
    Isaiah Brown Chelsea End of Season [20]

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.

11. Chazz Rheinhold

Cheers john.
    The way things are going half the championship will be Chelsea, Liverpool etc B teams soon. Which is what they ****ers want.

I've said it before but I'm completely against loan players.

12. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

I agree, it encourages the likes of Chelsea to mop up all the best talent, then just loan them out and see how they develop by using other clubs.

13. Quill

Quill Bastard

I'm fine with loan players, the problem is there needs to be limits on how many loanees a team can send out and how many loan players can be brought into one club.

I have more of a problem with the concept of the January transfer window over loans.

14. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

To answer the original question;

With our squad?

****ing impossible.

15. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Records are there for us to have a **** on.

We're bouncing back up as champs.

16. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

We're more likely to flop down as chumps.

Stockholm Tiger likes this.
  17. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

It's a good question.

Bruce knows how to bounce, but he found it difficult to achieve it in his last efforts. If you want someone to get you up then Steve Bruce is in a selrct group of achievers. But beyond that ....

We continue to be slow and unambitious in recruitment, we see and hear our manager coming to terms with the owners and we continue to see us relying on old-fashioned punts to define our future as a football club.

To bounce means hitting bottom and hitting the heights again. That's not us.

I think the club is in almost as bad a state as the support, where perspective is lost and bitterness rules.