1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bristol City polluted

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, Feb 24, 2015.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

The mayor is a marvel, of special self importance..... last night a programme on the local news highlighted the pollution in Bristol and asked the question where did it come from...
    in the 80's I had a job which meant I spent most afternoons early evenings annoying you lot knocking on doors to sell something.
    A pattern arose, from around May to October, in year 1 and again in year 2 I would start Midday Monday, fresh and healthy, come Friday I was dizzy, nauseaus and had head aches, come Monday I was OK fresh as a daisy. I had visited the doctor on numerous occasions in year 1 a few in year 2 and had tested blood urine and everything else.. nowt showed.
    In year 3 I said to my boss its started again can I have a different area for a couple weeks to see if I am allergic to something on my patch when it gets warm, ..agreed and a month doing Filton and that area nothing, RIGHT AS RAIN.
    After returning to my patch, it started, 3 tests and nothing. so I started to look for things, and one day up on Tog hill, I looked down at Bristol or where it should be, the odd high building just poked out of the "smog" driving into the city centre it was ( appeared to be) clear as a crystal so curios I drove back up to Tog hill , it was smogged. I then realised Bristol sits in a bowl, and the only low level way in or out is the Avon Gorge, and hey ho prevailing winds blow up this! pollution is trapped! In the 80's hundreds suffered from the same.
    SO what have we got now? 20mph zones that encourage more pollution in a bowl that has only 1 exit, I have driven over 3 million miles in my lifetime so far, ( Since 2002 my vehicles have put 127,000 440,000, 250,000 current one, and around 90,000 on hire / service cars ) and believe me traffic chaos in BRISTOL IS NOT AS BAD as PEOPLE THINK... maybe 1.5 hours am and pm a few jams... plan is to stitch up the motorist some more and have charging?.

Simples really.. what causes the up turn in pollution = car revs at 2000 and does 70 on the motorway free clear air..
    Car revs at 2000+ ish to maintain 20mph as you are in lower gears, in a bowl, I have to go down from 6th to 4th to do 20 on the flat bits, and spend a lot of time in 3rd on the hillier bits... At 20 less traffic moves on junctions etc so more poll ution BRISTOL THE GREEN CITY YEP GREEN WITH PUKE

had to get this off my chest, Bristol (like our LA stadium) , just cant see things, VOTE for Roland!

2. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

And Bristol is The European Green Capital of 2015!
    A complete joke as it is really one of the most polluted areas in England.
    That is the reason why we decided to live in Frome when we came back from Portugal.​

3. johngalleyfan2

Nice place Frome
    like the "metro" I think I read an extra / or 220 get to work at a cost of +£20 million? you could buy each of them a new bike yearly, for the next 185 -200 years! now that's green.
    London with the charge.... First year it cut journey's from Paddington through the city via Trafalgar to other side of river ( including driving around in it! city that is with a delivery or 2 ) by 40/ 50 mins
    Now same time as before because roads made smaller, and pollution has increased due to slower traffic, so charge now for depositing fumes caused by bad road management....
    Bristol ... used to take 20 /25 mins max at 9am from my house to BRI...NOW 30-35 mins an extra 10 mins of fuel! and its not traffic volumne just 10 mph slower, WELL done George you wont get a second term and history will remember you for likely cock ups not anything else

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Get a car with a low Co2 if you're doing that many miles, you're damaging the environment <whistle>

5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

The same twat of a pontificating Mayor who wants to impose a ridiculous 20MPH blackout across the city and yet gets caught speeding. Is the traffic not bad enough already ?????

The man is a self indulgent, delusional, ****ing hypocrite

6. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Here's a cheerful thought. On the news this morning Manchester is to be given
    managership of its whole NHS budget.
    The person who will oversee this?.................................the Mayor!
    Heaven help us if it rolls out nationwide!

7. Angelicnumber16

If that came to George Ferguson, he'd probably spend the budget on a city-wide skate park or some other equally unsuitable and unwanted project

8. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

was watching top gear sunday, they were saying the mayor was done for speeding in Bristol, then complemented the police on there vigilance,-farcical

9. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

We need better road layouts with better traffic flow, more reliable buses and a train system in which the last train between the 2 major stations is 10 o'clock on a Friday evening. Birmingham can manage 6 slow trains an hour on busy railway lines so hy can't we?

10. johngalleyfan2

The same twat of a pontificating Mayor who wants to impose a ridiculous 20MPH blackout across the city and yet gets caught speeding. Is the traffic not bad enough already ?????

Went to the BRI yesterday am took me 40 minutes and traffic was really light.. problem with 20 ..instead of amber light get ready go and x number of vehicles cross its x - 50% so to get up past the eye hospital to turn left it took 5 changes of lights instead of the usual 2 or 3 . plenty pollution for the hospital!.. nice one george

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015

11. EnderMB

EnderMB Well-Known Member

It's purely down to planning. The sheer number of cars isn't a lot, but the roads in Bristol are poorly planned out, and the traffic system is terrible.

I'm not too fussed about the 20mph system at the moment because no one follows it. People look at the sign, laugh, and continue on their way doing 30. It's nothing more than a way to get more people cycling, as it's only 20 for motorised vehicles; on some 20 roads you'll see a lot of bikes keeping up with cars.

Three things would immensely improve the flow of traffic in Bristol:

1. Introduce an intelligent traffic lighting system in Bristol. The technology is definitely there. A few AI professors at UWE had implemented similar in Italy and the flow of traffic was improved by around 10-15%, which in a city like Bristol would make a huge difference. Get the lights controlled by a computer that can monitor traffic, and get that to intelligently control the flow of traffic around the city so that the bottlenecks are cleared before they become a problem. The money going towards the residents parking zones and the 20mph zones would've paid for that...

2. Put the roads up for redevelopment alongside some of the buildings in the centre. You can optimise the traffic with the light system, but ultimately any new roads that go into the city need to be thought out. When Cabot Circus was built there was no thought put in whatsoever. If you're going to build loads of new offices around temple meads and near the centre then throw some money and some concessions to create a workable road system around it.

3. Some ****ing parking in the centre! I went to Manchester a few weeks ago, and was able to park in the centre for £3 for the whole day. The traffic wasn't great, but it moved MUCH quicker than it would in Bristol. The big difference between Manchester and Bristol is that there are many more car parks around the place, and they're all cheaper.

12. Angelicnumber16

I agree.

Bristol traffic is awful because we don't make enough fuss about it, and we've had too many liberal minded politicians who've dictated stupid ideas like unnecessary speed bumps being put in, plus spurious and unwarranted sets of traffic lights, and worst of all, roundabouts with traffic lights.

If all of these were taken away as a trial, I'd warrant things would move better.

Getting stopped on a main arterial road into the city at 05.00 for a red traffic light when there is nothing waiting on the unclassified side road which is what I've had to stop for, and which has been happening for a decade or more close to where I live, does my head in, heats up the planet for no reason, and causes wear and tear on my vehicle that should be avoided.

I'd like to insert all of the speed bumps into the Mayor.

13. johngalleyfan2

myth busters

some good stuff some corny stuff some stuff they don't think fully through and some educational stuff

"come on America get up to date "them EUROPEANS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING"

It was a phrase used to close one of their programmes...relating to TRAFFIC .
    They did a programme on traffic flow etc .. a controlled junction stop / start, and a uncontrolled junction stop /start/ "give way," with 4 roads, then doubled the flow by using a round about!
    Not saying they are the total answer but use of Traffic lights /round about programmed to heavier traffic flow could work.
    One of the best traffic flow points I have seen is bottom of Sturminster road by Imperial.. and out of town " the magic roundabout " I was one of the first 50 people to negotiate it after it was opened!
    How many more in Bristol !

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

A friend of mine died due to being ran over. 20mph speed limits and speed bumps might have saved his life. In BS4 emergency vehicles cant get down side streets and car drivers park on the pavement blocking the way for oaps and mother with kids in the evening. You can taste the atmosphere along Bath road in the evening . Ferguson at least tries to do something lidlabcons won't.

15. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Everything is all down to uncontrolled Immigration.

Schools, Hospitals on black alerts, road congestion,not enough houses and we build on green sites.
    You get idiot politicians telling us we need to spend more on the above.
    B*llocks - The size of Hull moved here last year.

It's called supply and demand.
    One day our liberal elite will cotton on.

16. Sixtyseconds

Sixtyseconds Member

Keen runner.

One of my favourite runs is Baff road - Wurzel TM - Feeder - Crews Hole - Along the Avon and back along Baff Rd.

Only in summer when it can be done early am or late pm when its a pleasure.

Do it during the day its headaches and a nose of black car exhaust snot.

Children are breathing that.

17. johngalleyfan2

We were talking about this on the weekend, Population has gone up by over a million in the past few years, lets say its peeps under 50 mostly families of 2 +2 (75%) the rest singles.
    so what is needed
    187,500, houses for the families
    40,000 places to provide flats for 6
    A reservoir the size of chew valley lake and storage facilities like the Barrow tanks
    So drinking all that water means pipe line to take it to the outfall river/coast or recycling plant!
    And processing plants as we have in Bristol to process some 3,000,000 tonnes of crap
    So pretty much of, all the land between the m4 m5 junction up to junction 18 north up the A46 to Petty France and across to J 14 the m5 swallowing all the villages and YATE and CHIPPING Sodbury.... Also fill in from Portishead to Winford..

250,000 more cars !
    5000 more garages for mot's!
    20 more supermarkets
    4 massive park and rides...
    25 OF Mcd +BK +KFC+SUBWAY
    75 PUBS and........................................... that's just the basics!

18. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Scapegoating immigrants and doing jack **** is what is wrong with this country. We need to stop blaming others and get what is needed done!

19. Angelicnumber16

I started a new job at Aztec West today

It took me over 90 minutes to get there from Whitchurch and I was 7 minutes late on a 13 mile journey

I hate this citys traffic and the constant new inventions to make it an even worse experience for the motorist. That's without the potholes and empty cycle lanes.

Worst traffic in the UK officially. Have worked the last 14 months in North London and it's a king compared to this **** hole.

20. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Think there was an issue today at Aztec, it took me an hour to get to the junction when it used to take about 20- 30 minutes to actually get into Aztec. So today could of been an bad day mate.