1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol City v Rotherham Utd

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 25, 2024.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

upload_2024-4-25_14-50-30.jpeg
    Match Preview: Bristol City v Rotherham United (Saturday, 3pm)
    Bristol City face Rotherham United on Saturday seeking to protect their long unbeaten run in the Championship.

The Robins are unbeaten in six, with three wins and three draws, ahead of the 3pm kick-off.
    They face a Rotherham team who have won just one and drawn one over the same number of games.

Rotherham are bottom of the table after 44 games, of which they have won four and drawn 12, earning 24 points.

upload_2024-4-25_14-59-57.png
    City are 12 places ahead of United in 12th, with 16 wins and 11 draws putting them on 59 points.
    In the last 10 years, City and Rotherham have played each other on 11 occasions. City won five of them, Rotherham three, and they drew three times.

On average, the Robins scored 1.1 goals and the Millers 1.2 in those matches.
    Their last meeting was on October 4, when City won 2-1 away.

upload_2024-4-25_15-0-46.png

With 32 goals in 44 games so far this season, the Millers are the league's lowest scorers with 0.7 goals per game. And they are conceding more than average, letting in 85 goals at a rate of 1.9 per game.

The Robins are also below average scorers, with 1.2 goals per game, compared to a league average of 1.3. They have conceded 1.1 goals per game.

City's last match was on April 20, a 1-1 draw against Norwich City, with Hayden Roberts getting the goal for the Robins.

Rotherham drew 0-0 with Birmingham City last time out, also on April 20.
    upload_2024-4-25_15-2-3.png
    https://www.theleaguepaper.com/late...bristol-city-v-rotherham-united-saturday-3pm/

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

A game city should win -however always struggle to beat.

2=0 CITY

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooooo, you need to put us down to lose RR :emoticon-0105-wink:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Supcon72 and AshtonRed like this.
  5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I’m sticking my head out here and I hardly ever do this, but I’m going for a 3-0 win to City. Last home game and we are on fine form.
    There - jinxed!! <yikes>

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  6. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

A dead rubber for both clubs, it’s almost impossible to predict, my heart agrees with you, my head says we’re Bristol City, so probably a 1-0 loss <laugh>

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  7. bcfcredandwhite

I’ve thought about this ‘nothing to play for’ thing quite a bit recently and I’m not sure it’s as influential as people think.
    It definitely DOES affect the efforts - and the risks players might take - but I don’t think it means that the players don’t care. All of us who have played the game knows that you never step out onto the turf not caring - even for friendly games.
    You may not want to risk injury by overstretching - or throw yourself into a dangerous 50/50, but you still want to win. Some of the players on both teams will be playing for their contracts - or putting themselves in the shop window if they want away.
    Sometimes, playing without the pressure of the league, can produce the most entertaining football.
    If I was the manager (of either side) I would expect a ‘reasonable’ effort to get a result. ‘Reasonable’ being not getting injured or sent off.

8. AshtonRed

At championship level small margins make a big difference, 99.9% commitment as apposed to 100% is massive. Holding back, even marginally does make a difference. It’s often not intentional either, but human nature and almost impossible to stop.

9. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

But you say we have a better manager now so i expect a win especially with the Millers being relegated.:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl

10. oneforthebristolcity

IMO either it's going to be City playing with freedom and we come away with a comfortable win or it's going to be a dull waste of time display lucky to get a draw results.......interesting...."in Liam we trust" :emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0105-wink:

11. oneforthebristolcity

But when you say we lose we normally win comfortably....stick with it my friend!!!!<laugh>

12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

It's in the stars how we'll get on with Rotherham.
    Could be a Huddersfield.....Could be a Southampton.

Bookies love it.

13. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

Hopefully not dull and boring like most of his games in charge but at least he has adapted his style to suit the players we have and it works how funny is that :)

AshtonRed and Red Robin like this.
  14. oneforthebristolcity

Wrong...the players have adapted to how he wants to play.....get it right......watch the training session with him involved....not seen that for a while!!!
    Where's Nige :emoticon-0138-think

raver likes this.
  15. AshtonRed

<doh> If you can’t see LM has adapted to set us up to fit players into their natural roles, rather than shoehorning them into unfamiliar roles, and playing to suit the players we have then you are missing the one hope we have of making a success of his tenure. For me his ability to change accordingly to our strengths gives me hope that he may be successful at our club.

16. oneforthebristolcity

Not true and if you listen to his interviews you would understand....i.e Williams.. rather than running around the pitch to get involved they all have their structures laid out what is expected......(hence less injuries) :emoticon-0105-wink:

17. AshtonRed

Of course there will be minor differences in approach, each coach has slightly different ideas, they aren’t carbon copies, but he’s done it in a way that allows players to play in roles they’re familiar with, rather than expecting them all to adapt to his ideology, that’s good coaching on his behalf, had he just stuck to the approach he had when he arrived we’d be in trouble.

18. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I think this is such a positive step forward from the Nige era, I was banging my head against the wall the way he kept playing Weimann as a RB - it ruined the guy.

raver and oneforthebristolcity like this.
  19. AshtonRed

I can’t remember, what position did Liam play Weiman?

20. bcfcredandwhite

Dull? Boring?
    Some have been admittedly, but some have been VERY exciting IMHO.

raver and oneforthebristolcity like this.