1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

CAR PARKING

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by LARED, Mar 3, 2015.

1. LARED

LARED Member

I have long said that local stadia owners don't give a toss about their customers requirements and the following extract from City's web site demonstrates the point. "Park & Ride There is no agreement for City fans to use the Park & Ride facility on match days". Now I am not saying that this is City's fault but can anyone give an explanation as to why not.

I had heard that the owners according to their planning permission can only use it as a Park and Rid but if that is the case then surely the Council can vary it. It makes such sense to park cars there and charge a quid to bus people to the ground that I am surprised that no campaign has been started. To add to this someone in the pub last night said that the new arena (by TM) will only have parking for 200.

It seems that as always Bristol is lagging behind every other City in building customer orientated venues . Get a grip Bristol CC and make something happen. As an example of other areas I went to MK Dons recently and they advertised 200 free disabled parking spaces whereas the City say "Disabled Parking Our disabled parking has already sold out for 2014/15 (about 10 I would suggest)

This to me epitomises local "customer relations". It is just not good enough.

2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

when they mooted the TM stadia first time round my colleague had an industrial unit within 200 metres of it, the yard would hold some 40 plus cars at £5 a session -= £200 1 person per session to organise it for £80 and the rest profit...when they said not going ahead he found smaller premises......

3. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Parking is terrible and will become even worse if we stay in the Championship with bigger crowds.
    TBH, I haven't a clue how it will be resolved.
    It's something the Board haven't thought through.

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

You can't have it all, the park and ride is an agreement with Bristol City council nothing to do with club. But to keep the same amount of spaces at the ground would mean the same old ground.
    There is no extra land to park on, and what would the club do with this extra land if they did get it between match days? It would still incur cost and also upkeep on it.

5. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Parking is **** but I've found a beautiful place to park because people are scared to park there <laugh> A sign says you can't but I ****ing do!

6. LARED

LARED Member

Did you know that Bedminster Cricket Club is the designated car park for the Gate. There is even a web site on which locals advertise their driveways.
    If I wanted to build a new house I have to have to plan for two off road parking spaces, why are new stadia any different?

7. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

We have two Achilles heels by staying at the Gate.
    The first is that the ground is land locked by houses, industrial units and the park. There is no room to expand the Dolman or the Atyeo if we wanted to.
    The second is parking and transportation. When I was a regular many years ago, my dad and I used to park in the old Wills car parks just of off Coronation Road but these have been built on now. The parking is terrible and it's a situation that all inner city older grounds have. This was a major plus point of the ill fated Ashton Vale project. Park & Ride schemes are essential if we are to try and fill the revamped ground.

8. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Exeter chiefs did the same down in Devon. Superb ground right on the edge of the motorway but very limited parking especially not for match days- There is a park and ride scheme and also parking chargeable around local industrial units. The P&R is something that the club put on. There is a showground (Westpoint) where they have the Devon County show amongst other things. I gather the P&R is pretty chaotic after.

The only clubs I recall with adequate nearby parking were Plymouth Yeovil and Wigan. No doubt there are others but we aren't one of them. Personally, I pay a fiver, park in the Cricket club and have a pint before the game.

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I park over by the Bisly what ever it's called where the old ship and castle was. Five -10 minute walk your there, and slightly longer getting back.
    Get there early enough plenty free parking, get there later £5 to park. With 4 people in the car much rather pay and walk than pay a £1 per person wait for a bus there and back.

Parking ain't an issue unless you make it one. I'm sure if we protest enough Lansdown can take a stand down so we can get an extra few cars in.

10. LARED

LARED Member

I am amazed at your "I am all right Jack" attitude. The new stadium is not being funded as a football stadium but as a "destination venue" as well. i.e. for conferences and the like (the money men want to make money). In a world where RPZs are becoming more and more common car parking is clearly a problem for society and politicians alike. In a scenario where any planning permission is involved , this to me is a "must be addressed "issue. You are quite right in that in the immediate vicinity there are no car parks so something should have been done set up parking facilities and "busing" people to the ground. Good parking facilities is a no brainer as far as I am concerned