1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cardiff Away In Carabao Cup

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Blues draw Championship side

Pompey have been drawn away to Championship side Cardiff in the first round of the Carabao Cup (EFL Cup).

The tie will be played at Cardiff City Stadium in the week beginning August 7.

The sides last met in this competition in November 2004, when Yakubu's brace at Ninian Park sent the Blues into the quarter-finals.

Pompey also triumphed in 1990, while the Bluebirds were victorious in both 1965 and 1995.

The most recent trip to Cardiff City Stadium was for a Championship clash in January 2012.

It was an eventful affair, with the Welsh side scoring a last-gasp winner, despite Marko Futacs and Greg Halford both finding the target for the visitors.

Pompey were also away at this stage of last season's competition. Goals from Curtis Main and Kal Naismith took Coventry to extra-time, but it was the hosts who ultimately triumphed.

Cardiff similarly exited at the first hurdle, suffering a 1-0 defeat at Bristol Rovers.

Manchester United are the current holders of the EFL Cup, following their 3-2 victory over Southampton at Wembley back in February.

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Good luck in this one Woops, a trip to St Marys in the next round would be nice :)

Though if you have to lose then a Rickie winner would be almost as enjoyable <whistle>

Bet you enjoyed that last paragraph <grr> <wah>

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  3. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Blimey Liebherr - I didn't know that Rickie Lambert was at Cardiff.

Don't hear much about him nowadays.

What do you think about your new manager ?

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

His best years were definitely with us.

As for the manager, I would have kept Puel, felt the board stitched him up a bit with no striker in Summer and no cb in Jan. Thought he did pretty well all things considered.

As for Pel, he took an unfancied club to a top half finish and a cup final, sound familiar? <whistle>... apparently quite a defensive style though which seems strange on the face of it as that was the main down point on Puel for most.

As ever, I'll judge him solely on what he does with us and he'll have my support.

More importantly we need to get this takeover sorted one way or the other and whoevee the board is need to back him properly as we have gaps to fill.