1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Carl Fletcher Sacked

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by HOADIE_BOI, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sensitive sensible.......oh dear that got a smile from me...nearly coughed my bitesize shreddies all over my keyboard.......very good Mrs LaLa........Mrs sensible is lying on the ground kick her feet in the air hysterically laughing over that.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I thought Fletcher was more upset at leaving the players than being sacked as manager and perhaps the contribution he made as captain leading the squad through the worst period in the club's history has been rather overlooked. And Sensible, you don't have a clue what he earned, do you, any more than I do.

The chances are the will indeed be an improvement when a new manager is appointed. As I've pointed out before, we've been through a period when our performances have been better [mostly] than results alone would suggest. Statistically, there's bound to be a time soon when a few better results are strung together and that would have been the case whoever the manager is. Nobody should go into "I told you so" mode until a couple of months have elapsed at least. I do hope that by then a clear improvement has been demonstrated but it's not a foregone conclusion.

3. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Although I wish Fletcher well I'm glad he's gone and I don't doubt for one moment that he loved the players and the club, and therefore he would be upset about leaving the club. He could have also been upset about his future because realistically he is finished as a league player and who would want him as a manager ? Still the payoff he waited for should cushion the blow a bit !!

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I see there has been alot of interest in the job or 50 applicants so far? Its been narrowed down to 4-5 i understand, its reported one of them is Phil Brown?
    We will have to wait and se as there is alot of names being thrown about. as long as its soon so we can move forward and stay up.

5. notDistantGreen

I got the impression from the article that Phil Brown's high profile in it came more from Phil Brown's own PR machine that from the club. He has after all be been out of work for quite a while so has to kick up some interest in himself.

Still, an interesting character and quite a big name. He got pilloried for lecturing his players on the pitch in front of the Hull fans after a particularly poor first half but I quite liked seeing fragile Premier League egos being exposed fully to the fact they owed something to the fans rather than just their own bank balances....

PB.jpg

6. Greenarmyjoe

He will cost to much, i think Kevin Blackwell is the front runner?? also cheaper option

7. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not "blubbing" and yes I wanted him gone and I guess that is hypacritical but I can't help but feel sorry for him. As for his earnings - do you really think he got rich working for PAFC, if so then he must be the first to do so.

Most women I know find it endearing when a man shows his softer side (don't be rude now") so I'm not sure I'd want him to "man up" Joe <laugh>

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Better results wouldn't be too hard to achieve notDistant.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Port vale are said to have signed Purse.. any news on this??

10. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't be silly notdistant. He got well paid for failing. I have no idea what it was he got paid but I'll absolutely guarantee it is more than you get paid and certainly more than I ever got paid. To pretend he might not have is, well, stupid. Do you do recruiting where you work? If you do can I have a job and get paid several thousand a week and fail as well because that is plainly what Fletcher did and if you think that makes him the good guy then I'll work for you anytime.

I do have my softer moments Mrs lalala. Honest.

11. Greenarmyjoe

I see Kevin Hodges is in the running for the job as he will be a cheaper option for the time?
    Fletcher was not cheap?
    Mrs lala .. its better to be harder surely?

12. notDistantGreen

They certainly won't Plymborn, that's the problem. Better results would have come along even if Fletcher had stayed on: mow they'll be attributed to the new manager and everyone will think they did a great job getting Fletcher the sack. Until of course results turn against the new guy, when they'll want to sack him too.....

The light of faith makes us see what we believe. Saint Thomas Aquinas

Well, £2k a week is £100k a year which might be in the right ball park but I wouldn't think it's much higher.

What would you say is a a fair wage for someone whose every move is pulled apart in the press and in the public bar, whose manner of speech, dress and appearance are always likely to be poked fun at in public forums, who spends most of his time away from his family, especially at traditional holiday periods, and who works in a profession where 2/3 are sacked within 18 months and 1/2 within one year of appointment, often due to the failings of others and usually after a period of personal abuse in the press and local community, some of which may be directed at his family?

Me, I don't think £100k covers it.

13. Greenarmyjoe

He gets paid the same as Plumber's then. That is not right.. He should be on far less. He has no skill? :shocked:

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I spent a very long time away from my family when they were young as well and simply didn't get paid a fraction of that. If I got paid £1000 per week then people could laugh their balls off at me anytime never mind £2000. For that I'd deliberately dress in a clown outfit and do a silly walk.

15. Pat E O'Dors

Pat E O'Dors Well-Known Member

If you lads think you're in the **** now it will be **** all to were you'll be if you get the egotisical, self opinionated ****er Phil Brown. You would be better off with Mrs. Brown of "Mrs. Brown's Boys" :emoticon-0102-bigsm

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Your not recommending him then Alan.........certainly not my choice either.

17. notDistantGreen

You have to understand Alan, anyone but anyone is better than Carl Fletcher who captained the side through a period when we were on the brink of liquidation, when players weren't paid for ages and all our best performers were sold for peanuts. He then had the temerity to go on and become manager and save us from relegation out of the League after we took only 1 point from our first 9 2011/12 games.

He infuriated the home fans only 2 games ago and was roundly booed for substituting our newest teenager merely because he had a thigh injury which has kept him out since.

Anyone's better than that......

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Herald today says Blackwell favourite to sit in chair. I would love Mrs Brown of herself an boys fame. At least I could laugh no matter what the football was like.

19. Pat E O'Dors

Pat E O'Dors Well-Known Member

NO. I wouldn't want him to manage my local village team never mind a professional club.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I do not believe the "thigh strain" crud for one minute. More likely to save injury because he is about to be sold. Come on notdistant, Fletcher was utter rubbish and you know it deep down for all the appologist stuff you make on his behalf. You should get to Home Park more often and sit through the pile of **** I've had to for so long and maybe you would see the wood for the trees on this one.