1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham Festival Preview Evenings

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Might be worth adding some preview evenings here:

Thursday, March 2nd Chepstow Racecourse (in aid of Velindre Cancer Hospital and Racing Welfare)

Friday, March 3rd – Jack Berry House7pm – 10pm with wine and canapés.
    Taking place at Jack Berry House with donations going to the Injured jockeys Fund. Brian will be alongside jockeys Brian Hughes, Henry Brooke and Andrew Thornton in addition to Andrew Humphrey from Betfred and they will be offering their views and thoughts about National Hunt’s highlight of the season.

Manchester on Tuesday March 7th - Timeform
    Fancy an evening of expert insight into the 2017 Cheltenham Festival, hosted by our Chief Correspondent, Jamie Lynch? In addition to the thoughts of our panel you’ll enjoy a supper, cash bar, free bets and could win great prizes. All for £10! Join us in Manchester on March 7th. Tickets are on sale now.

Exeter Tuesday 7th March 2017

Thursday, March 9th – Sedgefield Racecourse
    6pm – 10pm including pie, chips & peas supper. Admission: £9.
    Brian will be on the panel at Sedgefield Racecourse, which will include jockeys Danny Cook, Henry Brooke and Nathan Moscrop. Also on the panel will be Commentator Gareth Topham and George Richardson of GR Racing (Bookmakers). The opportunity to hear their thoughts about some of this years contenders.

Sunday, March 12th - Rockliffe Hall
    From 7pm including Hot & Cold Buffet in The Grassholme Suite. Admission: £40.
    Brian will be joining RUK presenter and jockey agent, Niall Hannity and jockeys Brian Hughes and Tony Kelly at Rockliffe Hall for an informative evening of racing tips and stories! They’ll be offering their insights on the upcoming Festival followed by a Q&A session.

12 March at Cheltenham Racecourse
    The Official Cheltenham Festival 2017 Preview evening

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  2. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Nice to have a preview thread Ron, good stuff. I normally go to the Westmanstown one which is always a decent line up.I know the fatjockey forum always have a link for notes after all there are over 50 of these preview nights either side of the water!Hopefully we will have our own preview thread like in previous years.Always a great read and some decent nuggets of info thrown in there from the more seasoned members of the forum!

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes. I usually go over there to get some preview evening details. Fatjockey is one of our external links (notably for the Cheltenham Festival). Haven't been there yet this year.

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just popped over Ste. No point in duplicating what they do so well so take a look here

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Ste D likes this.
  5. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

At the risk of making myself unpopular (or should that be even more unpopular) I must say that I think these events are well passed their sell by date and somewhat ‘last decade’.

Whereas 10 years ago they were novel, innovative and a breath of fresh air now you seemingly find one on every Street with the same thing spouted at every one. Or even worse individuals going to one event and saying one thing and at another event and saying something completely contrasting – as has been proved to have taken place in recent terms.

Also how much can you actually say re the Festival?!? Everyone has their main fancies (which is, I admit, interesting to hear) but beyond that they change into almost robotic mode saying things that perhaps they don’t even mean or fancy! People, if you can’t summarise your thoughts in a handful of sentences then you have said too much. Or as one of those Chav’s might say, ‘Yawn. Dullsville’.

Chaninbar likes this.
  6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tend to agree Barney. Far too many. I suppose it's a chance for people up and down the country to meet some of the racing connections. But do they? I see some are done in aid of various charities which is admirable

7. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

I take it you're not talking about the main and the biggest preview evening of them all- The NOT 606 preview <laugh>

8. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

We’ve all been airing our thoughts on the Cheltenham Festival, on an almost daily basis, for a good 6 months on the forum. Surely, there is little left to say!

9. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

These previews are just a bit of crack Barney to get folk into talking about and sharing opinions about the festival.You might get a couple of snippets of decent info here and there but wouldnt take anything as gospel especially if Ruby Walsh is on the panel! I agree there are far to many previews now but that also shows how popular they are and Cheltenham is in general.You don't see many of these previews on the flat that's for sure!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  10. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Agree with SBC's comments. I'd add that any trainer/pundit who offers the insightful 'he's done nothing wrong' in regard to their fancy should be taken outside and shot.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You can watch tomorrow night's (Tuesday 7th March) Timeform Preview evening LIVE. Details here

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  12. hawkeye

hawkeye Well-Known Member

Late notice, but just seen that the final furlong podcast, preview is live on ATR tonight at 8.

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Struggling to catch a lot of what is being said.

14. woolcombe-folly007

I watched it! Not a lot really that we don't know

15. woolcombe-folly007

Always prefer a preview with a jockey or a trainer!

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I gave up listening. Gave me a head ache

17. woolcombe-folly007

Got better in the second half however they spent 1hr 1/2 on the first two days and about 45 mins on the last

They did tip up Wicklow brave for the champion hurdle lol

18. woolcombe-folly007

But I did enjoy It overall

19. woolcombe-folly007

They did compare Impulsive Star to UKWIMH in terms of progression and unexposed and could see him running well

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think they were very complimentary about my Neon Wolf but I couldn't hear very well.