1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

City Players Contracts and Buy-Out Clauses

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by hullborn, Sep 2, 2015.

1. hullborn

hullborn Well-Known Member

Now that the window has shut, I firmly believe we have a squad capable of promotion this season with the players we have.

The worrying part is the players contracts and buy-out clauses. Does anyone know if the relegation clauses have expired now the window is shut? Or do we start the whole thing all over again in January.

2016 - Aluko, Sone
    2016 - Davies, Curtis
    2016 - Elmohamady, Ahmed
    2016 - Huddlestone, Tom
    2016 - Jahraldo-Martin, Calaum
    2016 - Jakupovic, Eldin
    2016 - McGregor, Allan
    2016 - Meyler, David
    2016 - Taylor, Ryan
    2016 - Townsend, Conor

2017 - Dawson, Michael
    2017 - Diame, Mohamed
    2017 - Hernandez, Abel
    2017 - Lenihan, Brian
    2017 - Livermore, Jake
    2017 - Maguire, Harry
    2017 - Maloney, Shaun
    2017 - Robertson, Andrew
    2017 - Snodgrass, Robert

2018 - Clucas, Sam
    2018 - Diomande, Adama

Courtesy of Rick Skelton's website, http://boothferrytowembley.blogspot.co.uk/p/player-contracts.html

As you can see, unless we tie up several players this season we will lose the likes of Aluko, Davies, Elmo, Huddlestone and McGregor to other clubs on free transfers..

Its an odd one as I cant see many of the players signing a new deal with us whilst we're in the Championship, but by the time we're hopefully promoted, other clubs can freely open negotiations to sign them for free.

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Meyler's already been offered a new deal, no doubt Elmo will be before January, I'm not sure we'll bother with the others, though Davies is likely to be offered one if he continues with his current form (as long as he doesn't discuss his contract situation on Twitter).

3. ElTigre

ElTigre Well-Known Member

I was wondering too whether those release clauses still applied in January.

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

A release clause is a release clause, it will apply in any window.

5. Top_Tiger

Top_Tiger Well-Known Member

Hence why getting them signed up on a new contract is essential.

6. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

Some release clauses expire after a certain time, but these ones will likely still be around. I think Elmo was offered a new deal from memory, I thought I saw that mentioned by Buckingham at some point.

I would hope Davies, Elmo and Meyler are offered new deals. I don't really have an issue with Davies mentioning he hasn't been offered a new deal, as it's unfair on the players that people keep criticising them thinking they're not signing deals put in front of them, without knowing the full picture.

I'm actually surprised the club isn't better run when it comes to offering and negotiating new contracts. The fact we let so many players run into the last 12 months of their deals is a bit surprising. I would have thought at the start of every season there'd be a meeting where Bruce and relevant others sit down, run through best and worst case scenarios, and determine who they want to offer contracts to, for those that they don't, then understandably you don't offer them new deals, but guys like Chester, Brady, Elmo, Huddlestone even, who Bruce rates highly, and Davies, who was coming off a great first season with us, all should have been offered new deals at the start of last season to ensure that if we went down we had more bargaining power with them.

CANADATIGER likes this.
  7. philhul

philhul Well-Known Member

There is no bargaining power when buy out clauses are included.
    If we had stayed up but had a large number of players on longer term contracts that would restrict the number of new incoming players.
    It will be difficult to gauge the correct scenario.....look at the De Gea debacle at Man U

8. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

De Gea is different! He's a world class player & LVG is an idiot if what SSN reported the other day is true about he wanted Navas so blocked the offer that was on the table for DeGea!

9. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

You have to offer buy out clauses to get some players to sign on the terms offered......a player does not have to leave simply because a buy out offer is received....it gives them power when negotiating new deals, but at the same time offers the club guarantees regarding fees if a player is unsettled.

The De Gea debacle was I believe a case of Real Madrid getting cold feet

10. Brucebones

Some people say it was, Madrid say it was Utd!
    If Germany had won WW2 would Hitler have been evil?

11. ElTigre

The answer is yes though I don't understand why you're asking.

12. NorthFerribyTiger

According to a former colleague who lives in Madrid, the majority of their own fans believe the fault was at the Real Madrid end, they were apparently worried that they could end up with no goalkeeper if anything went wrong with the 2 transfers at the same time.......Man U would not have messed up as they now have 2 unhappy keepers in their ranks....one of which has not played a competitive game in months

13. Brucebones

I assume your answering the Hitler bit.
    Have you never heard that history is written by the winners?

14. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

If we started doing that we'd end up offering players a new contract every year. Ignoring the many other implications that would come with that, we'd constantly be raising our wage bill, only to essentially find ourselves in the same position.

The way all the players contracts have been handled has been bang on in my opinion.

15. ElTigre

He'd still have been evil even if no history books were allowed to say it.

16. NorthFerribyTiger

Much of the history wrote itself with the evidence of genocide......even recorded by the Germans themselves

17. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Abso ****ing lutely Roberto.

18. Spook

Spook Well-Known Member

True. Churchill is our wartime hero for many good reasons but he wasn't an angel. The Russians still overwhelmingly think the same about Stalin, the Chinese about Mao.

Hang on, what does this have to do with player's contracts?

19. Brucebones

It was regarding the De Gea transfer, both sides blaming the other & people over here believing it's Madrid's fault & in Spain it's Utd's fault, was my point, as there is no winner it's going to go on & on!
    Hitler probably not the best example, but it's always the same throughout history, the winners write it, whether they are "in the right or not!"

20. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

We'd only be offering new contracts to players with 2 years left on their deal; or offer them contracts through the course of that year, so that no player ended up with 12 months left on their deal except those we wanted to push out the door.