1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Clyne "I want to play in the Champions League"

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Apr 13, 2015.

1. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I don't understand why we are expected to "understand" that Saints, who finished 7th, aren't good enough when Liverpool, who finished 6th, are. I don't understand why footballers get more kudos for playing well in a big name team than they do for playing in a smaller team. I don't understand why anyone would need more than a million quid a year. Honestly, what is football? Is it supporting your team, believing they can be the best and rooting for your players as if they were family - or is it impartial, logical socio-economic observation of upwardly-mobile morons with no more skill in life than how to kick a ball? Jesus.

I am not at all upset about Clyne, but I work ridiculously hard for 30,000 a year and if anyone wants me to have sympathy for a millionaire playboy's decisions, they have another thing coming. He could have stayed. He chose not to. Bye.

2. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

My only gripe is Nathaniel said he wanted champions league football,he currently led a few up that garden path with that comment.
    But as you say players come ,players go,tbh I don't really give a **** about any of them,but at least I wish they would grow some nuts and be honest with those who pay them and those who pay to watch them.
    But your with your points and no gripe with you.
    Just small minded footballers who take clubs/fans and individuals as small fry.

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Too many anti-Liverpool comments on here. Why not have an anti Chelsea and Manchester United session as well as they have too many plastic fans.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  4. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Odds on Johnson coming here. He's available!!!

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

When they start buying all our players, I'll oblige.

manxsaint likes this.
  6. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

He's off to Turkey .

7. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Patience is generally a good thing. But at the same time so are high expectations. You have to balance them.

My comment was less about Clyne in particular but about Saints. And it was really to say I'm happy with how we are improving and growing and forcing players to grow.

I don't want our fans or players expecting CL or titles every year or they pout and quit. That's not good even at a larger club. Work harder and overcome the obstacles, don't just go for the easy way out. Accept the challenge put in front of you. If Clyne were afraid of losing a first team spot due to competition, I wouldn't want him here, either. Not saying he is, mind you. Just making the point. I want there to be competition for spots, and for players to not be troubled by that competition, and for Koeman to not cut players too much slack, and for players to be happy to fight those battles and okay with maybe losing them because it means the team is better for it.

And I think we are doing that. We've lost a lot of hardworking, likeable players over the years because we outgrew them-- Hooveld, Hammond, etc. We needed to be a bit ruthless, like any other team. Even at RB, Clyne had strong competition from Chambers and if he'd stayed would have had it from Soares. While I believe that Clyne is probably better than both of them right now, they both have the talent surpass him if he doesn't work hard and stay on his toes.

Who is Clyne's competition at Liverpool? Just an out-of-position and on-loan Manquillo, I guess (who admittedly didn't do a bad job there, at least compared to their other defenders).

8. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Maybe Clyne strung us along, maybe not. But it mostly happened behind the scenes. Clyne never publicly kissed the badge and said he was Saints for life and quick just hand me a pen. The club said Clyne looked like he might stay. And they had incentive to do so.

The more important thing is it didn't seem to hurt us. We got Soares signed pretty quickly. We got a decent fee for Clyne, and it seems like to the extent we may have settled for a little less than the 15m we wanted, it was in part Koeman's choice wanting to just get the deal done so we could move forward so it was on our terms.

In the end, I think things worked out much better for us than if Clyne had flat out said he was going or if the club had said "Clyne? We've got no hope of signing him. Come and get him."

9. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

How good is Clyne?

Have you robbed us again or have we got a good deal this time?

10. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

Clyne's gone and thats it. It is bloody annoying losing all these decent players, but thats the way it is. No matter how successful Saints have been the past few seasons we are never going to be looked upon in the same light as the rich & famous clubs and Liverpool are one such club. I dont begrudge Liverpool one bit. Its the way it is and footballers have always moved about. Clyne wont be the last to up sticks and leave us thats for sure. Our aim is to beat them when they return here in a different shirt.

11. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

You've upgraded on your other right-backs, and you've not paid an absolute fortune. It's a good deal for you, and he is a good player.

12. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Good player. Good deal all round.

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

No thanks. Really. No thanks.

14. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

He's good. Fee is prob fair enough. Whether he suits your team is another matter. Bye.

15. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Cheers gents <ok>

Where do you reckon you'll finish next season?

16. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

He's been playing premier league football for three years & plays for England, its not like he just signed from a club in Russia.

......loading...... likes this.
  17. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

I know but the fans of the club the player actually plays for always knows more about a player than any opposition fan or media folk in my opinion.

18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Hopefully where we should have done last season... Above you :)

Saints Fan4Life and Sharpe* like this.
  19. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

You may well do.

I see our squad and don't see a consistent team with too many stand out players.

A lot is being placed on Couts but he's only quality in spits and spans - to this point anyway.

I actually think Milner is a good signing for us.

Libby and fatletiss like this.
  20. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Adam still winning hearts & minds. Think he's cemented his place in history already, but good to see he's willing to add to it.....

"He (Lallana) said it's a good club - a big club with a huge fan base. He said the team is good and a good bunch of lads. He told me I'd be made to feel welcome if I joined,"