1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Column for Shoot! Magazine

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Jul 15, 2015.

1. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Hello all,

This is something I was approached to write for the coming season, and the first one has just gone live in blog format on their website.

It's talking about Les Reed's 'showcase club' comment, the club's business, off-field development and the long-term progress and ambitions of the club.

http://www.shoot.co.uk/category/news/southampton-show-they-are-one-step-ahead-again/

Hope you get time to give it a read, and offer up some feedback.

DTLW

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Already responded on other thread....I refuse to tell you how good it is twice as you will get big headed. :)

3. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Nice one DTLW. Your reporting has grown from League One standard to Premier league...just like the club :)

(it never was League One standard, but I needed to use that to prove a point :) )

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    NeotSaint likes this.
  4. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

Hmmmm no mentions of firesales, managerial ineptitude, meltdowns or Les's stint at Charlton!

1/10

Actual opinion: Great piece DTLW. Well written, encompassing and rational. Nice job.

5. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Very good read. I don't like the word "oodles" but I'll forgive you that one! :)

6. JustAnotherSaintSupporter

A very good summary of where saints are positioned. It will be a long time, if ever, before we will be able to achieve the status and financial power of the perceived top 6 premier teams. However if, as seems to be the case, top up and coming players see us as the best club to further develop their careers and are happy to sign say 4 year deals then we have a ready made production line to supplement our academy players. If after a couple of years some of them move on for large fees then ok they will be replaced and we have a sustainable business model. If we can further supplement our income with increased profitable commercial activity then (in the words of our Nige "we will be the best that we can be"

7. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

I've just finished reading your article and it's as good as anything I've read on recent ongoings at the club. A very balanced look at the view of the fans, it has understanding, it's impartial and devoid of personal opinion, informative and interesting. Well done.

8. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

I see your not liking of the word "oodles" and would like to counter, words like this are very under used and should be bought back into the fold. To use them in conversation is one thing, to have them published is quite simply chuffing brilliant...!

A well balanced article with a definite whiff of Ralph Kreuger-esque positivity lingering in the air, love the pointing out of plain to see facts that are staring everyone in the face, but Im sure the neggies will still see fit to have a swipe.

Its a "yes" from me Louis....

9. MountwaySaint

MountwaySaint Active Member

Yes very good DTLW. Totally agree about the "ambition" of Cortese, and how our new sustainable approach, linked with gradual progress on the pitch - despite losing the top-rated players - is much more ambitious, even though it requires patience and level-headedness.

10. Mostlymadeofwater

Mostlymadeofwater Well-Known Member

Nice article. Very nicely written with an engaging prose style

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Good read DTLW.

Could have had a dig at those that left and not necessarily done well since leaving, just because we like to keep mentioning that :)

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Well done DTLW, a very good article, easy to read and makes some very good points without trying to blind the reader with statistics. Hopefully it won't be too long before Saints move to the stage of being able to afford to hang on to some of the little gems we have turned into shining stars!

13. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

Very well written piece DTLW, i enjoyed reading it.

14. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Very good article and the only critique I would offer is related to grammar; you used 'early' in the same sentence - Para 9. Reiterate, however, that the content and presentation is very good. <applause>

15. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Noticed that when reading it after publication. Something to consider for next time. Thanks.

16. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Load of bloody rubbish - who on earth writes this garbage? No one on here I hope.....

Of course, only joking DTLW - brilliant as ever.

17. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

Technically Swansea did also qualify for the Europa League after climbing up through the divisions although that was down to their cup win rather than league position so can see where you're coming from.

Good stuff though DTLW, keep up the good work... :)

18. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

*briefly checking in from Nice* - I must say DTLW, as proud as I am of our rise from L1, I also do feel rather proud and very interested watching your rise up the journalistic ranks. As FLT said, Shoot was always one of the top reads 'back in the day', and it's fabulous to see you getting a regular spot there.

Big kudos. Well done!

19. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

10 out of 10 and a gold star (I very rarely if ever gave one of those out). I forgive you the double use of 'early' in the same sentence and let us be honest I don't think that the magazine's readers will point it out.

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

What's really nice, is to think that all the readers of that publication will think DTLW is just some old fart <laugh>