1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Confirmed: Jack Cork joins Swansea City

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Jan 29, 2015.

1. MarchwoodSaint

MarchwoodSaint Active Member

Of course his priority is to his son. But what a twat and how embarrassing to have your dad constantly butting in via social media on everything. Jack is a big boy and should tell his dad to ģet back in his hole. Good luck with the swans sad to see you go but not your bell end dad.

Lovelocum likes this.
  2. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

Could be worse...could be his mum! <laugh>

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

From a playing aspect and the team where it is now, no I'm not. However it is always a little sad to see a player who has been an important part of our rise leave the club, so from a nostalgic point of view, yes.

Good player, good fella in the dressing room; good bloke; good luck.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  4. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I didn't mean like they just didn't 'fancy him'. I was suggesting that there must be something about his game that they perceive which means that they don't rate him as highly as I think he should be. And the fact that 2 respected managers share the same view must mean something.

Which is why I'm sitting at my desk writing here whilst they are managing Premier League football clubs!

I think he was great last season but hasn't replicated that form this season, even when he was scoring goals.

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's not that they didn't 'fancy' Cork, but they preferred other players more. A very useful and reliable player to have, but he would never be first choice...this would only get worse as the manager brought in more and more new players. Ron said our offer was a good one, but Jack wanted a promise about how much game time he would get...and he said that a manager couldn't make promises like that. Fair enough then that Corkie wanted a move and respect to him for that.

Compare that with what Ron said when Maya signed a new contract. He complimented Yoshida and then added how he always trained well and put the needs of the team before his own. So Yoshida accepts his position within the team.

6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

It would have to have been as the Cork to Swansea Ferry service no longer operates although in this case the destination would have been achieved via Cardiff.

7. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

How come?

Ok, I'm not that bothered either, from the rational point of view. We just had 8 games unbeaten run and Cork hasn't featured in any of those games (bar couple of minutes against Newcastle), so yeah, I think we'll manage without him. More playing time for Reed who is a real talent, and by next season we will have a new player or two, probably better than Cork was.

But he's a player who was with us for five seasons, played more than 150 games, one of the handful of players remaining who came with us up the league, very good footballer and a top bloke. I cannot not be bothered that he parted way with Southampton.

8. fatletiss

To clarify for those unsure or mistaken, Jack wasn't with us in league one

9. fran-MLs little camera

He did, however, play for us before we were in League 1 and was very unimpressive. I remember we were all excited getting a player from Chelsea, but didn't work at that time.

10. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

H

He's worth at least twice that, by today's standards.

11. fatletiss

Not with a contract expiring in the summer. I think the club have done well to get 3m for a player available for nothing in 4 months time.

12. fatletiss

Yes he was with us then for a brief loan period, however Fran it did work out and he looked very good. Unfortunately just as we were looking to extend that loan for another 6 months, Brenda Rogers became Watford manager and used his relationship with Jack and Chelsea to take him to Watford. Certainly not a case of it 'not working' with us.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  13. fran-MLs little camera

His father was moaning we could have got more in the summer...perhaps we could, but we hardly wanted to lose another midfielder. Sometimes it isn't just about the money...we are trying to run a football club here. Wonder why Cork lets him rattle on.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  14. fran-MLs little camera

Shows what perception is like. He made no impression on me...luckily I don't get to pick the team :)

15. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

I'm with you LFF. I'm still scratching my head. Regardless of Black Boxes, Koeman's pull in the transfer market, our own pull in the same market now and a list of potentially great replacements, Cork was proven and proven players for the money we are talking about here are as rare as rocking horse ****. However, I think it's his position rather than his training. If he'd been producing similar performances anywhere other than CM, we'd never have let him go.

16. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

Of he's anything like my dad, there's no point trying to shut him up.

BaJou, OddRiverOakWizards and crusti like this.
  17. fatletiss

Are we brothers?

18. fatletiss

There's nothing really to scratch your head about. The club offered him a contract and he turned it down. This is Jack's decision because he (admirably) wants to play more football. He's not been doing that for a second season now.

This isn't the club; they wanted him to stay but he chose not to. Would you really want the club to have kept him for 4 more months just to keep him to his contract? He decided not to re-sign so the club are planning for the future without him and bring someone new in/play Reed more.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  19. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

I am really sorry to see Jack Cork leave Saints, one of my favourite players over the past few seasons. Good luck Jack.

20. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Before anybody finally runs away with the idea that Alan Cork is a twerp, l perhaps ought to straighten the record slightly. Alan Cork, first and foremost, supports his son. That's an obvious thing. But besides that, he is/was quite the Saints supporter, regularly going to home and away games, and only wishes the club well. I have seen quite a few twitter messages [checking out the public perception] of his, and besides him putting his son first [obviously] he is/was very Saints orientated. Of course, now he's bound to be pro-Swansea City, especially as he has a personal connection with them anyway.