1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Cornmill Hotel to reopen as 29-bed hotel with restuarant and bar

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Nov 10, 2015.

1. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

The gentrification of Witham is spreading East then, in other darkside news Elephant is going to re-open as a chippy and Swiss Cottage is getting demolished, is Crown still shut?

2. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

The HDM states it sits within the Holderness Road conservation area. As does the article that you included in your first post <laugh>

The Cornmill Hotel started life in 1838 as an engine-house for the adjoining Holderness Corn Mill, which has since been demolished.

It is locally listed and sits within the Holderness Road Conservation Area.

After the mill closed, the building was converted into a hotel, which shut in 2007.

Read more: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Dere...tory-28143500-detail/story.html#ixzz3r5sHNUSb
    Follow us: @hulldailymail on Twitter | HullDailyMail on Facebook

3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh aye, didn't realise they've basically made most of Holderness Road a conservation area. <doh>

It does rather make a a mockery of the designation of a conservation area, most of it's a mess, they've locally listed some right crap.

4. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It is a mockery as essentially it's a building that is situated on an awful junction surrounded essentially by traffic and retail outlets built in the last 10 years or so, maybe a bit more as Big W used to be there and I had to go around in mobility scooter due to a broken ankle - that was more than 10 years ago. **** - time flies.

Conservation areas are normally very prescriptive - our house is in a conservation area of about 7-8 properties.

I'm sure these planning restrictions due to 'Listed' or 'Conservation' are often abused or a blind eye turned in the name of progress.

5. Des Head

Des Head Well-Known Member

That photo brings back some memories. My wife and I cleaned a house out that looked exactly like that and some of those carrier bags will be filled with ****. Not one **** per bag, mind. Filled to the brim and tied off like a balloon. They'd already kicked the toilet in. Happy times.

As long as the walls and floors are sound, it'll be a piece of piss to sort out.

6. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Is this looking away from Southcoates level-crossing, towards Craven Street?

please log in to view this image

7. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

The crown on holderness road opposite east park - SHUT?
    What's happening in the world. I lived my youth in there - always busy back then!!

8. Des Head

Des Head Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell, I can't see it's eyes.

9. Lincoln Tiger

Lincoln Tiger Well-Known Member

Yes it is Stan, I grew up for the first 10 years of life on Bright Street (then Southcoates Lane) - even though that photograph must be 100 years old, it is still recognisable. Craven's music shop (you might recall that) was to the right just near the railway bridge (obviously some years later). In the 60s/early 70s I used to love Crawford's Sports shop - again just before the bridge/Craven St on the right.

10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Windows finished off this morning...

please log in to view this image

Girt Bucket likes this.

11. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

I think it must be, the Southcoates footbridge would be visible if the pic was taken from the other direction; unless, of course, the picture pre-dates the footbridge?

12. Lincoln Tiger

Lincoln Tiger Well-Known Member

Take it from me, it most definitely is that view. Even today with all the changes you can still sense this past image. I am pretty sure that the footbridge - or rather a version of it was put there somewhere between 1890 and 1912 (when they built the parallel line with the bridge that you can see in the picture) - though I am sure someone might correct me on that. Electric trams appeared in Hull from 1899, but bridge most definitely was not built until 1912. The picture I would guess (taking in all that, plus looking at the fashion) is from between 1912 and 1919.

Happy to be corrected though!