1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Defoe - Can he play in Dick's system

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by concrete tony, Aug 30, 2015.

1. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

Was debating this with Funky on another thread.

What do you think? Can Defoe play in the 4-3-3 system that Dick prefers? Either up front or as the left forward?

I don't think he can. I think his hold up play isn't good enough up top (neither is Graham's or Fletchers I know)
    Played on the left I think defensively he doesn't have the discipline to play that role and nor does he want to play it. I would prefer someone who knows the role. Trouble is Defoe is the only natural goal scorer we have in the squad. He has 2 in 4 premier games pretty good. Thoughts?

2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Could the question be 'should the system be altered to suit our only natural goalscorer'.

In simple terms, I don't personally think he can play wide left, so on that it's a no.

Jack TheLad likes this.
  3. mitchthemakem

mitchthemakem Well-Known Member

No swap him for Austin get a LB and I'm happy

4. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He'll do as he's ****ing told or sit on the bench, until we can offload him.

My irritation isn't aimed at you Tony but it boils my piss when £50k, £60k, £70k grand a week players can't adapt to systems. I know you're just asking the question, and he's not whining about it, but for gods sake, what they're being asked to do isn't rocket science.

Listen to what the gaffa tells you and just ****ing do it as best you can!

Spoken like a true non-playing supporter :emoticon-0136-giggl

Montysoptician and concrete tony like this.
  5. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

I took the opposite view :emoticon-0127-lipss<laugh>

concrete tony likes this.
  6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

It's fair comment what you say mate, but in his defence he has absolutely tried, he just doesn't have the skills for tracking back etc every week.

He's not complained and he's done it to his credit, it just doesn't suit the lad.

ROBOJOHN likes this.
  7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

If he ups his work rate defencively yes and is prepare to drop deep and contribute t o build up then yes. He's doing well so far, still making intelligent runs. his goal against Swansea where he came across the defender coming central to receive the ball and slot home was classic of somebody in the that position.

But if he can't up his work rate defensively it's not going to work at all, PVA needs help.

8. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

<ok> That's true. I'll give him that.

9. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

he's scored 5 in 5, we can't even contemplate not playing him.

smithy in nl likes this.
  10. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

2 in 4. I won't count what he does against Exeter. It's what he does in the PL that counts for me.

Mind you if he can up that PL ratio we'll all be happy bunnies!

11. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

I think he can play in Dick's system. To me I would start him up the middle instead of Fletcher and Graham. Wouldn't even have these two in the squad to be honest. Make them train with the Under 21's and 'freeze' them out. Defoe is at an age where he is not going to play every game. Yesterday he tired a bit probably due to the midweek game. I would have had Mandron on the bench to come on after 60 mins if Defoe was struggling. If you played Defoe through the middle with Watmore and Lens either side of him I think this would be great! Got to keep the ball on the deck though as he is not going to win much in the air. With M'Vila in midfield someone who can pick a pass like that one yesterday from 60 yard's we have someone who can give him the ammunition. Need to get the ball in the space for him behind the central defenders. He's our most gifted goal scorer so let's keep him as close to their goal as possible. Let's keep Defoe up the pitch and have Watmore and Lens chasing back when we need to.....

clockstander likes this.
  12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I'd love Madron on the bench, he's a ****ing hulk that lad. Gotta be worth a look.

The Relic and LAMackem like this.
  13. Brian Storm

But for natural finishers confidence is vital. I acknowledge the 3 goals midweek myself as they'll have put him in even a better place in his head for league performances.

Nads likes this.
  14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Exactly Funky. Defoe is sitting thinking, 'aye, 5 in 5, I'm the ****ing man'. He's not thinking, 'Hmm, Exeter' he's thinking 'hat-trick'.

Quite right too.

15. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

<ok> I won't deny the psychological impact of scoring mate. It's massive.

All I care about is the PL and staying in it. Especially come lottery-winning next season.

16. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Totally agree mate....why we persist with Fletcher and Graham is beyond me. Give Mandron a try....ffs can he do any worse than someone who has scored on goal in three years and that went in off his ass and he didn't know anything about it.....lol.

ROBOJOHN likes this.
  17. Brian Storm

He's a very very wasteful mate and not the best decision maker. I think he'll struggle stepping up at the moment. Not convinced he'll make a top flight player even though physically he's perfect.

18. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Worth a try though mate, we are persevering with Graham who plainly can't score. If he's getting picked for graft, why not give Mandron a shout.

He'll graft, he'll be enthusiastic, and he is a ****ing unit. I don't hate Graham anymore cos he really has tried he simply isn't good enough, and it's a waste of time and a shirt keep trying.

19. concrete tony

If the transfer window was shut and we were to bring in no more players I would completely agree with this. I'd have Mandron and another under 21 player on the bench and drop Fletcher and Graham. After this season they will no longer be at the club. We may as well blood youngsters and get them ready. They can hardly do any worse.

20. concrete tony

He has to be a better option than Fletcher or Graham, He is faster, stronger and more eager. On top of that the other two will be moved on shortly. Get him in.